Surface Family: Surface with Windows 8 Pro ? Pricing

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Next Up for the Surface Family: Surface with Windows 8 Pro

It's about time!!! I'm going to wait in line for this bad boy!!!

Not sure about the wisdom of only $100 separating the 64GB and 128GB models.

Today, I want to share a bit more detail about the growing Surface family of products and Surface with Windows 8 Pro, specifically around pricing. In January, Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in two versions and pricing will start at $899:

? 64GB standalone version at $899

? 128GB standalone version at $999

Both versions will both include a Surface pen with Palm Block technology and include the ability to use a Touch Cover or Type Cover (sold separately).

Ricom1

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll be buying this but there are a couple of things I wasn't happy about.

First was that word or office wasn't included but the rt version was included on that model (my fault for assuming office would come with it)

Second, I still have to put $125 down for the keyboard.

So this is going to cost over $1300 after taxes and mandatory "upgrades".
But, I'll still own this as soon as its released...just not happy with the add-ons

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to wait to see what Asus does with the EEE Slate line. Heck, I'm tempted to purchase one of the existing ones and just upgrade to Windows 8 Pro on it. Half the price and comes with a Bluetooth keyboard and carry case/stand.

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Pricing seems in line for the other devices out there. I am hoping we hear about the battery life on this one soon and if there is going to be some way to get an extended battery somehow.

I had originally thought that I would be holding out for this one but purchased the RT and now my son is enjoying that one.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Pricing seems in line for the other devices out there. I am hoping we hear about the battery life on this one soon and if there is going to be some way to get an extended battery somehow.

I had originally thought that I would be holding out for this one but purchased the RT and now my son is enjoying that one.

Battery life is a major concern of mine. They should know it by now so why arent they telling us? Hope it is near the 7 hour range but that might be too hopeful.

I do think for 899 they should have thrown in the touch cover. That thing costs less than 20 dollars to make and would add a lot of value to it.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Too expensive IMO.

Compared to?

Battery life is a major concern of mine. They should know it by now so why arent they telling us? Hope it is near the 7 hour range but that might be too hopeful.

I do think for 899 they should have thrown in the touch cover. That thing costs less than 20 dollars to make and would add a lot of value to it.

It'll probably be in the 5-7 hour range, you know, running Core i5 and all.

dseiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
They are now saying that it will be 1/2 of the RT battery life. That pins it at around 4 hours. Makes the Sony Duo 11 seem not to bad.

Wish there was a way to do an extended battery somehow. Maybe there will be someone that will make an adaptor that you can use to extend the battery.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Compared to?

The Asus EEE Slate 121...They threw in the Bluetooth keyboard and carrying case. I don't claim to know the numbers on the cost of production for the Surface, but if MS is willing to sell the Xbox 360 at a production cost loss, I think the initial offerings of Surface should saturate the market at a reduced cost to encourage early adoption.

Several of my clients are interested in the Microsoft Surface Pro exclusively, but at $999 for the unit alone, not including the cover/keyboard combo $129.99, they won't even bring it in for evaluation due to new capital purchase guidelines.

It'll probably be in the 5-7 hour range, you know, running Core i5 and all.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
That thing's been out for over a year now, so of course it's going to be cheaper. Plus, who would want that bulky, plasticy thing anyways?

You can't compare it to the Xbox 360, different time and different market, and it was a market that Microsoft had absolutely no products in. To gain any traction whatsoever they had to sell it at a loss. The Surface Pro is priced $100 too high IMHO. But when you consider the form factor and the hardware I don't think any competitors even come close. I like sturdy, tough devices, and haven't seen any competitors that can match Surface in that regard.

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That thing's been out for over a year now, so of course it's going to be cheaper. Plus, who would want that bulky, plasticy thing anyways?

You can't compare it to the Xbox 360, different time and different market, and it was a market that Microsoft had absolutely no products in. To gain any traction whatsoever they had to sell it at a loss. The Surface Pro is priced $100 too high IMHO. But when you consider the form factor and the hardware I don't think any competitors even come close. I like sturdy, tough devices, and haven't seen any competitors that can match Surface in that regard.

I'm not talking NOW price, I'm talking go live of the ASUS EEE Slate 121 it was the same price of not a little cheaper AND included the keyboard & case/stand.

Clunky huh? The measurements are negligible 12.2 x 8.15 x .66in (ASUS) to 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53in (Surface)

Absolutely you can compare it to Xbox 360. This is the first real piece of PC hardware they are bringing to market (as was the 360).

I'd take an ASUS manufactured device over MS any day of the week. ASUS has a long standing history of quality and warranty coverage. MS? Red Rings and long phone calls for replacements. It only took 5+ years to work out the bugs.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not talking NOW price, I'm talking go live of the ASUS EEE Slate 121 it was the same price of not a little cheaper AND included the keyboard & case/stand.

Clunky huh? The measurements are negligible 12.2 x 8.15 x .66in (ASUS) to 10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53in (Surface)

Absolutely you can compare it to Xbox 360. This is the first real piece of PC hardware they are bringing to market (as was the 360).

I'd take an ASUS manufactured device over MS any day of the week. ASUS has a long standing history of quality and warranty coverage. MS? Red Rings and long phone calls for replacements. It only took 5+ years to work out the bugs.

Ya, it is clunky compared to Surface. It's not even comfortable to hold with one hand for long periods of time due to its weight and size. Add to that the outdated hardware on the Slate 121.

No you can't. MS has been in the PC business for years (software AND hardware). They just haven't released a PC themselves before. It's a much different game than the console industry considering that there are much more players and MS sells software to OEMs.

Really? Far as I can see they are like every other OEM. They have some good, high quality products, and they have some terrible, low quality products. Microsoft obviously learned their lesson with the Xbox about designing a device to last. I have never felt that my Surface will break if I set it down too hard or if I were to drop it, it feels solid and sturdy. My friend's Asus Slate 121 feels fragile and cheap.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
This device has some great specs and some annoying short comings. 4hr battery lift? It's lighter and thinner than the MBA 11, but also because it has a smaller screen. If you need a keyboard with this badboy it makes it slightly more expensive than the MBA. The 4hr battery life is the point that makes me think twice about this computer.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
wrong, it will be the same price as a MBA when bundled. Microsoft has just not announced the bundle pricing yet. Stop quoting the separate keyboard price. 4hr is low end and 4-5 hours is the same as 11 MBA so please stop FUDding.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo