Surface Pro: Is 19/83GB free space enough?

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Is this something a non-tech savvy person can do without too much trouble or messing up their unit?

Yes, but the instructions have to be followed... There's always a risk of making your system unusable or accidental complete data loss....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you talking about actually moving the default location for the user profiles off to another drive? Or just a few folders like My Documents? I did the former on my desktop and when the drive isn't there W7 cr @ps itself. I managed to log in in safe mode but the OS was a mess.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about actually moving the default location for the user profiles off to another drive? Or just a few folders like My Documents? I did the former on my desktop and when the drive isn't there W7 cr @ps itself. I managed to log in in safe mode but the OS was a mess.

Yeah, I have a friend that's pretty technie and he screwed up Windows 7 as well when he tried to move the user directory.

I've been monitoring this thread. My own opinion is that 83GB out of 128GB as usable space is pretty weak. Although that there external drives that can be used for more storage, it still doesn't make the situation any better. The latency and access speeds will be lower on the microSDXC compared to the SSD. I have large files that I access and the microSDXC will be an issue. On top of that, I don't always carry my external USB drives with me. All that being said, at the end of the day, it is what it is. Guess it's hacking time... :excited:

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Serious 83GB is not enough for some of you? I have the Surface RT 64GB and I never fill that bad boy up. If you load it up with movies or shows, how long do you really keep them on the tablet for permanent storage. Once I complete a movie or episode of a show, I delete it. There's really no need to keep the media files on the tablet long term.

I'm thinking some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Serious 83GB is not enough for some of you? I have the Surface RT 64GB and I never fill that bad boy up. If you load it up with movies or shows, how long do you really keep them on the tablet for permanent storage. Once I complete a movie or episode of a show, I delete it. There's really no need to keep the media files on the tablet long term.

It sounds like maybe you're missing the Pro part of Surface Pro - I would assume that most of us complaining (at least in my case) are wanting to use it in a professional capacity. As a web developer I'm not planning on storing ANY movies or shows on the device. I could easily fill out that amount with client files alone, then there are VMs for testing, development tools and environments, Creative Suite, etc... Also, as a a gamer - a little space left over for Steam and some games would be nice. My wife, a professional artist, has over 100GB of picture files, hi-res artwork photos etc. We pay MS for 100GB of skydrive space (on top of the 25gb free for 125GB total) to backup to the cloud. We keep her My Pictures and My Documents folders in there (changing the location inside the skydrive folder via properties->location so that apps default to the correct location) - it would be nice to have enough free space to be able to sync skydrive to the device without having to always carry around a portable HDD.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

This is pre office, pre photo shop and any other legacy/app store apps. I could see this going to 50gig real quick with a few programs and peripherals. Not to mention drivers and backup partitions. I have 50 gig of music alone. And I'm assuming here, but external storage indexing is a nightmare on RT. I assume the same will persist to Pro. And you can forget about the 64gig model. Who is going to spend $1000 on a laptop with less memory than their phone? I won't even consider a laptop with less than 500gb. Might as well get a Chrome book and save yourself $600.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This is pre office, pre photo shop and any other legacy/app store apps. I could see this going to 50gig real quick with a few programs and peripherals. Not to mention drivers and backup partitions. I have 50 gig of music alone. And I'm assuming here, but external storage indexing is a nightmare on RT. I assume the same will persist to Pro. And you can forget about the 64gig model. Who is going to spend $1000 on a laptop with less memory than their phone? I won't even consider a laptop with less than 500gb. Might as well get a Chrome book and save yourself $600.

The standard install actually include an Office 2013 trial install @ 2.3GB + 8GB for the recovery partition. Add to that the revised estimate of free storage being increased by 6-7GB and it really should be enough for most people. If more is needed then none of the Surface options would be suitable and no point at all buying one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers