Maximum microSDXC size?

mmukalian

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I been looking around, and while I see folks saying "I'm getting a 64GB card", I haven't seen any technical specifications to the max size of a microSDXC card that can be used in the Pro. The tech specs don't mention it (or I can't find it).

Anyone come across any 'official' documentation to the maximum size microSDXC card that can be used in the Pro?

Thanks! - M

camdenlake

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Found this from the Q&A the other day. I recall seeing 128gb?

Q: Will the hard drive be able to be upgraded past the 128gb stock drive?

A: “Hi, this is Ed on the development team. The internal solid state drive built into Surface is not accessible for upgrade. However, the recessed micro SD memory card slot gives you unlimited memory expandability. The SDXC slot supports the highest performance SDXC memory cards.”

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that the microSDXC format supports up to 4 terabytes but currently 64GB is as large as they come. They might have some 128GB by the end of this year although I'm sure it will be pricey. Plus, they enhanced the speed format again even faster than UHS 1 but those only come in smaller sizes. There always seem to be a tradeoff.

I ordered a Sandisk 64GB UHS 1 for now for about $58. That should hold me over for now. I plan to keep my 1 TB portable hard disk with me for any large storage issues such as photos when I go on vacation. Plus, I'll off-load the recovery partition for some extra room too.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
No, there are 128GB cards available, but they run $85+. Kingston and Sandisk both have them out.

As for limitations, it would be just like a desktop or laptop running windows 8. As someone mentioned previously, 4 TB or so.

But just remember, there is always a USB port on the device which can utilize USB sticks or external hard drives.

All in all the physical storage options are only limited to the amount that you are willing to pay for said storage.

StarLog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I think I read somewhere that the microSDXC format supports up to 4 terabytes but currently 64GB is as large as they come. They might have some 128GB by the end of this year although I'm sure it will be pricey. Plus, they enhanced the speed format again even faster than UHS 1 but those only come in smaller sizes. There always seem to be a tradeoff.

I ordered a Sandisk 64GB UHS 1 for now for about $58. That should hold me over for now. I plan to keep my 1 TB portable hard disk with me for any large storage issues such as photos when I go on vacation. Plus, I'll off-load the recovery partition for some extra room too.

If you offloaded the recover partition how will you use it, when you need it.

I loaded the wrong Symantec antivirus on my Pro today, and it went into infnate loops booting, so I was able to get it into a troubleshooting page, and did a refresh, there were no questions as to where I wanted to load from, so I am curious.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Remember that those speeds are theoretical highest speeds. Certain factors come into play like the hardware bus speed for transferring data at that level.

dksmidtx

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I saw a Taiwanese site this weekend offering "evaluation" 128GB micro-SDXC cards for $795...ouch.... My gut tell me it will be year-end at best, and $250-$300 range for a 128GB card. Theoretically, I believe the SDXC standard can handle up to 2TB of data (https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/), but I have never seen what the storage limit is for micro-SDXC cards. For heaven's sake, they are barely the size of your pinkie-finger nail, so I have trouble seeing much beyond 128GB, and given they have been "coming soon" for nearly two years, my bet is that will be the upside limit. The real answer is for Surface Pro 2 to upgrade to full size SDXC, which are already available as 128GB for under $90. Of course, Microsoft could just move up to a Mushkin 480GB microSATA SSD (at only $429 retail, surely MS could beat that price)... :wink:

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
yeah, there are "ultra high speed" SD cards, that do 90mb/sec, just as thee are SD cards >64gb. but not MICRO SD.

As best as I could tell, atleast as of a month ago, UHS1 64gb was the biggest fastest micro SD card.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can reload from USB, the whole process walks you through putting on USB and then reloading if you need. I have actually reloaded and reset a surface from a USB stick to try and fix some device glitches.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It does seem like 128GB SDXC cards will be out later this year - because of that I'm holding off on buying a 64GB now (even though I'm limited by the 128GB in my Pro).

On Surface Pro launch day, I watched this Youtube video of a MS rep at an MS store somewhere in Canada. (He was wearing a cowboy hat.) While he was doing a walkthrough of the unit, he said that the microSDXC slot supported the full capacity of the standard, and he then said that up to "512GB" cards would eventually be available, and the Surface Pro would support those. I don't know if his comment about the 512GB was accurate or not, and I replayed his comment to analyze - he was very careful to not mention a timeframe for those cards, so that could mean years from now....

I have to say that I much prefer the slot location on the Surface RT over that on the Surface Pro. I'd rather have it hidden and not sticking out, as I'll never remove it and want to use it as a permanent storage expansion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise