Surface Pro availability in Europe?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone out there have any reliable information about when the Surface Pro will be made available in Europe? Germany in particular?

I find it odd that there is absolutely no information other than "available soon"

Goodbyemoff

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping for aus release soon, but if they can't keep up with demand for US, I don't think the rest of us will get it to soon. Which is a shame because I wanted to get one before uni went back.

rocketstu

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Having looked on the Microsoft store (UK) site this morning they don't even have the Pro listed now. Even searching the site yields no results...

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Around May-June 2013. There are loads of unsold non touch laptops left in Europe and only Samsung has started to ship W8 touch notebooks and tablets devices to consumer stores. If they get too many touch devices too early, many will simply end up with too much unsold non touch units. MS is also aware of this.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Around May-June 2013. There are loads of unsold non touch laptops left in Europe and only Samsung has started to ship W8 touch notebooks and tablets devices to consumer stores. If they get too many touch devices too early, many will simply end up with too much unsold non touch units. MS is also aware of this.
Interesting theory, sort of makes sense. Means they are playing us a bit out here, which would be a shame.

Do you have any sources to back it up?

foaf

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Having looked on the Microsoft store (UK) site this morning they don't even have the Pro listed now. Even searching the site yields no results...

The UK site is currently stating "Coming Early 2013". Getting slightly annoyed there is no date yet (after patiently waiting 6 months from announcement). And if it is May/June, I'll probably wait for the Haswell version

IgorP25

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
And if it is May/June, I'll probably wait for the Haswell version

This.

It's somewhat disingenuous to announce the Surface RT in certain countries (Australia in my case) and say that the Pro will be available 90-days later, only to turn around and restrict that release to US/Canada. I don't think the rest of us were at fault for expecting the Pro to come to us as well in this time frame. Now the closer Haswell seems, and with no information about when it's coming, the Pro seems like less and less of an option.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The UK site is currently stating "Coming Early 2013". Getting slightly annoyed there is no date yet (after patiently waiting 6 months from announcement). And if it is May/June, I'll probably wait for the Haswell version
MS might very well sell the Surface Pro earlier online, especially in the UK. But to get volume they need retail chains and production. MS will however play it safe as the Surface did not meet their initial expectations.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Interesting theory, sort of makes sense. Means they are playing us a bit out here, which would be a shame.

Do you have any sources to back it up?

Just go through large European retailers. You will notice that they're loaded with non touch and mostly have only 2-3 types of touch notebook / hybrids which are much more expensive as they're unloading non touch with sales and specials.

Make no mistake, the touch devices are coming more and more. By the end of year season Apple will be in for a big surprise...

Touch devices with Windows 8 will be in ample supply by mid 2013 and have competitive prices by late 2013. Ie. Acer W510. In Europe they can't keep em in stock right now, the more people buy, the lower the prices. This is PC dog eat dog and Apple better shape up quickly cause they will get into a price war 'soviet winter offensive style'.

Apple has less than 3 month to come up with a touch OSx and make it widely available... I doubt they can do it.

jmwhite19

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping it would be late Q1 for Europe, but since the US launch was over the original 90 days announcement (which would of put the Surface Pro launch in US in January). I reckon Europe isn't getting any more information on the Surface Pro till at least end of March at the very earliest (and that's being optimistic). Being able to actually order, don't get your hopes up for it being in the near future! Early Q2 might sound too long, but I bet its not far from the truth.

I think a lot of European based retailers and people (including businesses) are slightly miffed at the lack of communication from Microsoft about it all. I hope that the delay is due to Microsoft sorting out a better supply chain for Europe, getting more retailers involved etc. Surface RT was really badly stocked in the UK.

The fact the website for the UK version (Surface with Windows 8 Pro is powerful) changed from "Coming Soon" to "Coming in early 2013". Suggest it will be longer wait, I'm sure this is the case for others.

As every day goes by with no news, the more I think wait for the revision of the Surface Pro to be released with Intel's upcoming Haswell processors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb