128GB Pro - Orange light of death...suggestions?

waitingforsquirrel

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Waited in line and was lucky enough to purchase from BB the day of. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The problem is that it doesn't even turn on. After charging it for a while, I observed that after holding the power button, it would respond only in this manner:

• The orange light would flash as you see in the image.
  • There was haptic feedback when pressing the windows logo

Other observations/troubleshooting attempts:
  • No screen response, or sound
  • Screen does not flash
  • Connecting via USB to my desktop does not yield any response either
  • Pressing and holding the power button and releasing over various iterations and time
  • Charging for over 7 hours at this point with no changes

Finally, here's a photo.
6qhlhiV.jpg

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I would have taken it straight back as faulty as in the time you have been waiting it may be sold out now.

If it won't turn on then there is nothing you can do. Be thankful that you can go return it in store easily and you didn't buy it
From another country and have to send it back... Something which concerns me now if buying from eBay in the US.

commo

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Not sure if this would help but try doing they advised here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfgetstart/surface-wont-turn-on/94524e7d-fd76-4dcf-b365-fa6fed6a49ec?page=1

waitingforsquirrel

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I would have taken it straight back as faulty as in the time you have been waiting it may be sold out now.

If it won't turn on then there is nothing you can do. Be thankful that you can go return it in store easily and you didn't buy it
From another country and have to send it back... Something which concerns me now if buying from eBay in the US.

It was sold out the moment I purchased it. At this point, I'm in the same situation as I was at the time of purchase. It does take some time to eliminate all possibilities of user error (ie not charging sufficiently). I'm very happy with the concept of the product, even the muted reviews did not deter me from purchase. This is more of a FYI and a request for info!

waitingforsquirrel

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this would help but try doing they advised here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfwinrt-surfgetstart/surface-wont-turn-on/94524e7d-fd76-4dcf-b365-fa6fed6a49ec?page=1

Thank you for the link! I was hoping for a resource like this.

I tried the 10+1+1 and it does not work. Variations of that as well. Does anyone else have this orange light on their pro?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the link! I was hoping for a resource like this.

I tried the 10+1+1 and it does not work. Variations of that as well. Does anyone else have this orange light on their pro?

No, but I definitely suggest CALLING Microsoft. If anything, that will get you an expedited swap. They typically hold units out of distribution just for this reason.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Oliver: take it back. I bought my RT at a Microsoft store and an associate took more than an hour setting up and testing my device, and chatting it up with me about my music collection which he downloaded from my SkyDrive -and he was even having an assistant bring me coffee. Veryy enjoyable and instructive session. Of course, I did not get my RT on Day One! Good luck with your choices and enjoy your new or fixed Pro.

waitingforsquirrel

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Take it back to a Microsoft store and they can fix it, or replace it when they get more stock, which should be tomorrow.

This is going to be a silly question, but will it make a difference that I purchased it from Best Buy? I know for a fact that all of the stores in my area will not get anything until Wed/Sat. Thank you all for the suggestion, I am definitely sending it back. It looks like there's nothing I really can do on my end to fix this.

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the orage light. Does anyone have any suggestions to get this working? What does this orange light mean?

I don't know what the light means but I would take it back and get a new one if I were you.. this is one of those times that it would be real nice to be able to get into the darn thing, I wonder what MS actually does with the bad ones they get back.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that you hold down power button until it vibrates, which could take 30 seconds. Once you feel the vibration, let go and press for 1 sec then let go and press for another 1 sec. Perhaps that will help.

ahyl

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here, Video card failure. Microsoft service was freaking outstanding. Signed up on support @ Microsoft .Com, Chose option to have tech call me. Pressed Submit and the phone rang. Scary. Picked up phone and Bill Gates was on the line. Ok, Not really. but it was a computer that put me on hold. 2 Minutes later a Tech answered. Ran down a checklist.Couldn't get the device started. He Called the Tablet dead and offered to send me a replacement...NOTE: Not send my Surface in first, but send me out a replacement and return my old unit in the replacment's shipping box. Now, I declined this offer because I owned a 64, and If I had to return it, I wanted to upgrade to a 128. Unfortunately he could not do that, so I had to return back to Best Buy. Give the support site a try, It was by far the best Tech support I have ever received. (Although that isn't a significant hurdle to clear.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720