10-30-2014 09:50 PM
53 123
tools
    The biggest challenge that I've encountered is installing and running games from CDs (remember those? ). One such example is Rise of Nations, which I managed to get working by sharing the CD drive on my laptop as a network drive and mapping to it from the Surface. Then I had to physically copy over the entire game directory from the laptop to the Surface to bring it to the latest version. Finally, I had to download a no-CD "patch" of dubious legality so that the game could start without performing a CD check. Thankfully I don't have too many CD-based games anymore.

As a side note, I also noticed that the native Surface resolution (1920x1080) was way too high for the game, but found that setting the game resolution to 1366x768 made things much more readable.
    02-21-2013 09:57 PM
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that the surface pro with the March firmware and the intel drivers update 15.31 (gaining up to 10% of a boost) means the surface pro is a tablet beast for games. What really knocked me out is how well it handles games and how it outputs the games onto my TV - it's like having a PS3 or xbox as well!! The device is honestly the best thing out and i love mine. MS really went all out with it and it shows. My ipad is a piece of junk and toy compared to this.

Check out some video's i've posted showing some benchamarks and games i have installed. I'm going to post an updated one for Street fighter at 720p because it's hella fast with 70 fps + and the youtube clip i posted was all over the shop. I might also post how the surface outputs games to my tv.

The games i currently have are - Borderlands, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Bulletstorm, Dirst 3, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit , Trine 2 and Outrun 2 2006 coast to coast (video coming up). I plan to install steam and TF2 with possibly Half life 2 (fav game). TF2 is te best games and i was totally addicted to it, imagine it on the bus!!

Lat thing i need to is buy a Samsung micro sd 64gb so i can install them all on that instead of my external usb 3.0 hd. I'll order it very soon and my surface will be complete!!

Check them out here.

kakamesh - YouTube
    rkeenan likes this.
    04-05-2013 08:17 PM
    How is minecraft on it?
    The one thing I'd do differently for Minecraft if I could go back is buy a small laptop mouse rather than the wedge mouse. I'd much rather have a wheel than the touch scroll. In fact, I disabled the touch scroll and just use the number keys for inventory items. Other than that, Minecraft runs great.
    04-05-2013 09:10 PM
    I wondered how bad this thing would handle Steam games. This would totally eliminate my need for a gaming laptop. I have a gaming desktop as well so this I could hook up to the tv. Just awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    04-05-2013 09:52 PM
    I use my Surface Pro to play L4D2, and I have a corded Xbox gamepad. Needless to say, its pretty amazing. I like to think of my Surface as a "portable Xbox" sometimes.
    04-07-2013 01:40 AM
    I wondered how bad this thing would handle Steam games. This would totally eliminate my need for a gaming laptop. I have a gaming desktop as well so this I could hook up to the tv. Just awesome.

Mine handles steam just fine. All of the valve made games I have tried seem to run at high settings very well also, even the more recent titles such as portal 2.
    04-07-2013 07:36 AM
    I only play Diablo 3 these days. How does that run?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk HD
    04-09-2013 09:25 PM
    how bout skyrim??
    04-10-2013 06:35 AM
    Installed skyrim, combat is slightly awkward, but the walking/actions with E/shouts /etc are great.
    04-10-2013 07:02 AM
    Diablo3 runs great!
    04-10-2013 05:19 PM
    I just installed NFS Underground and Monopoly on my surface. both games had to be tweaked to run full screen but I have NFS running at 1280x960 with max detail. I think I'm going to have to tweak it some more because the fans start to run full blast without even racing. I also set the processor not to run at full speed but that didn't help so my guess is that I'm going to have to turn the detail down to try to keep this thing from overheating but it runs just as good on my surface as it does on my Phenom x4. Monopoly's graphics aren't that great but it also makes the surface fans blow. I didn't have to do anything special to make that run full screen from within the app, but I did have to select the compatibility settings because I kept getting prompted the game wasn't compatible.
    04-11-2013 02:26 PM
    I run Minecraft at far, maxed out settings with Optifine, and TF2 maxed out at native res (naturally)
    I disabled turbo boost so throttling is less of a concern for me, and that means it's more stable. I'm using the 30.71 drivers and I can easily say this beats my old HP with an i3-380M and ATI 5470
    Just had to disable automatic updates, hibernate, paging file, indexing (but left it on for xbox music) and a couple of services, now I have 56.1 gb free and (hopefully) an SSD that will last longer.
    04-18-2013 08:23 PM

I have been trying to update a thread in the Acer Iconia w700 forum where I am testing steam games. While I don't have a surface, I can say that Win8 devices seem to run games fairly well. Currently I'm testing games that I have (currently 4 games installed) that basically work only with touch. I happened to see this thread and the tip about disabling dpi in the link config settings works great. I was having problems with SpaceChem and Spectromancer and now those games work great. I noticed that the other 2 games that I tested (MTG 2013 and Defense grid) already have the option checked.

I've been looking around and I think it's time somebody put together a list of touch\tablet friendly games.
    Last edited by thundr51; 04-23-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    04-19-2013 02:21 PM
    Yes, if someone could upload a list of what games work flawless and what games need to be tweaked and how....

I just got my surface and I am a very heavy gamer....I'm reading about black ops working and I'm assuming this is not linked to Xbox black ops is it? (ie. My rank is 52 on my Xbox so I can start at 52 on my tablet) that would be too good to be true haha

Thanks...new member here and love the forums I've been reading!!!
    04-21-2013 01:26 PM
    What about Star Wars: The Old Republic?
    04-22-2013 03:51 PM
    I'll second that. I've seen YouTube videos of it running on a Surface Pro, but no mention of the settings used to get it to run. Can it run with decent graphics settings? As that's kind of a decider for me.
    04-23-2013 03:08 AM
    What about Star Wars: The Old Republic?
    SWTOR works great for me! I had to set the graphics to medium, but it ran without a hitch!
    04-23-2013 07:25 AM
    SWTOR works great for me! I had to set the graphics to medium, but it ran without a hitch!
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm getting a Surface Pro in July, and I although I'm not a big gamer, I want to run TOR and Civ 5 on it.
    04-23-2013 08:38 AM
    I'll second that. I've seen YouTube videos of it running on a Surface Pro, but no mention of the settings used to get it to run. Can it run with decent graphics settings? As that's kind of a decider for me.

All my videos have the settings in them!

BTE here is Star Wars: The Old Republic on the surface Pro. It's an older video so expect it to run faster with the latest graphics drivers and firmware updates.

04-27-2013 08:57 AM
    Just a heads up that I've uploaded some more games running including (ironically) Gears Of War. Have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised with surface's gaming prowess (intel 4000hd). Haswell will be a beast and may honestly be good enough for a gaming rig (albeit with lower resolution).
    Last edited by zulu69; 05-05-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    05-05-2013 04:04 AM
    Is anyone concerned about the heat this thing produces while gaming? I understand that all computers get hot while using graphic-intensive applications, but this form factor is relatively new to the market, and this thing wasn't exactly designed with gaming in mind. Is this bad for the battery? How negatively could this impact the machine in the long-term? Just for reference, I use it for gaming for maybe an hour or two per day. Maybe a bit more on the weekends.

Any thoughts on this?
    05-07-2013 07:20 AM
    The SP doesn't get that hot, my old Macbook would get so hot it felt like it could almost burn you.
    05-07-2013 01:57 PM
    Yeah, it doesn't get abnormally hot (I don't think), but I just worry a bit about taxing a device like this that wasn't necessarily designed for gaming. I'm probably worrying for nothing!
    05-08-2013 06:06 AM
    So played a little Battlefield 3 last night, and on the lowest settings its a bit choppy. Turned down the resolution to 720p as well, and for some reason it won't scale to the whole screen. Other games will at lower resolutions, so not sure why BF3 won't do it.

Guild Wars 2 is totally playable, so are lots of Steam games, and I'm trying more as I go along.

That being said, I'm pretty impressed with the performance, and I know this nor anything else similarly spec'd won't play the latest and greatest games, but its still been pretty awesome so far to be able to get stuff running on this PC-in-a-tablet form factor.

Gonna download Dead Space 3 and give CoD4 a try.
    05-08-2013 10:12 PM
    Looks like there's a problem with Origin on Surface Pro. I installed it and it seems to think that I'm running in a VM. Other's have already reported the same issue to EA: EA Forums So, no BF3 until that gets sorted out.
    Thanks for the link. Any one else running origin here that can give some more feedback? I'm considering surface pro and may want to play some of the Command & Conquer games.

Judging from some the games you guys were able to play, am I safe in assuming the likes of Torchlight 2 and XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be fine as well?
    05-09-2013 04:57 AM
53 123