Surface Pro using a Micron C400 mSATA drive?

rcx84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I'm awaiting the same. Will definitely upgrade immediately if it turns out the 64GB can be taken apart reasonably.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
c'mon, live a little ��

I do live a lot!! I just don't want to be shot by my wife... :p

Honestly, for now, 128 is plenty. I have apps installed, things going on and using this thing every day and I am still over 80GB free (this is including having Office 2013 Pro Plus install with everything run from HDD). I have 3 email accounts set up with Outlook 2013 (including my work email).

Now, with all of this space, I am thinking I am going to install SkyDrive Desktop App and Sync. I don't think for my usage I will have much space issue as I have the same setup on my Laptop (i7 with 500GB SSD) and have more space than I need. This will replace my laptop for everything except when I want to game away. :)

Moviefun

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually, this looks hard, but there are some apple repairs that are harder IMO.

My biggest question is: How do you get the screen back on after it's been opened ? Heat it again and clamp it while it cools ? The other parts just look like an exercise in caution.

Surely, there is someone out there that thinks a 240gb surface is worth some amount of effort ?

Matt Dawson1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Got it apart. mSATA and screwed down. Bad news though I did not heat the glue sealing the case well enough so when I took it apart I ripped the touch sensor cable. Heat that glue good but after that it is simple. Plugging in a 240GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA at $179.99 is 100% possible. Pics and more to come.

LuckyPunk

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Got it apart. mSATA and screwed down. Bad news though I did not heat the glue sealing the case well enough so when I took it apart I ripped the touch sensor cable. Heat that glue good but after that it is simple. Plugging in a 240GB MyDigitalSSD mSATA at $179.99 is 100% possible. Pics and more to come.
Ran across this:
microsoft-surface-pro-complete-replacement-screen.jpg
Don't know anything about them but unless someone figures out how to fix the cables it may work.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

This gives me hope that eventually there will be a professional service that will take in Surface Pros to upgrade the SSD for a price. I am already down to 60GB available on my 128GB Pro. I have an 8GB usb3.0 flash drive on the way to offload recovery.

Matt Dawson1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I thought they did, and although it was upgradable, it was very hard. No glue, though! (Might've been the RT)
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Matt Dawson1

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
but doesn't your touch screen not work now since u ripped the cable?

touch capabilities > larger ssd

Everything works fine no idea what that cable was for. It was one of the cables attached to the display for sure.

If you don't get lazy and you heat all the glue well you will be fine.

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Glad it can be done but I'm going to wait for a pro shop to be able to do it and go for 256GB or something. I got a 64Gb pro and for what I'll use it for that will be fine for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb