$100 gift card with purchase of Surface Pro 64GB

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
reeks of desperation

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're an Android fan. Can you please explain why almost all Android devices go on sale a few weeks after they get introduced? Do Android devices "reek" of desperation as well?

When Google sells nexus devices for near cost, do they "reek of desperation"? Or do they make money other ways?

Source: I own Android devices that have all been purchased at some sort of discount.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you're an Android fan. Can you please explain why almost all Android devices go on sale a few weeks after they get introduced? Do Android devices "reek" of desperation as well?

When Google sells nexus devices for near cost, do they "reek of desperation"? Or do they make money other ways?

Source: I own Android devices that have all been purchased at some sort of discount.

I am an android fan but I want a windows 8 tablet (right now leaning towards the helix, but if i was to run into a 128gb surface I might get it)

When I say it "reeks of desperation" I don't mean that the surface pro as a product is a failure
just the 64gb model at its current price point

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am an android fan but I want a windows 8 tablet (right now leaning towards the helix, but if i was to run into a 128gb surface I might get it)

When I say it "reeks of desperation" I don't mean that the surface pro as a product is a failure
just the 64gb model at its current price point

I can see your point. When you are talking a $100 price difference with double the storage on the line, it almost asks you "Why bother with a 64GB??"

I think the 64GB Pro should have come in lower. For me, the extra $100 was a no brainer. Looking back, I'm glad I did it and got the 128GB.

ChrisInSD

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I can see your point. When you are talking a $100 price difference with double the storage on the line, it almost asks you "Why bother with a 64GB??"

I think the 64GB Pro should have come in lower. For me, the extra $100 was a no brainer. Looking back, I'm glad I did it and got the 128GB.

I think with the Windows OS storage issues (even without recovery partition) the 64GB pro is just worthless to most people. I mean, they are billing this is a laptop-replacement that has 30GB of storage space. That's a "no compromise experience"? No way.

The 64GB model just seems to have been completely poorly thought out--even if it was a LOT cheaper than the 128. I am leaning towards getting one of these things (whenever they might actually be available for purchase) but I'd never even consider buying the 64. I think I've only seen 1 or two people who have posted on this site who even bought a 64 out of all the people who managed to snag one...

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think with the Windows OS storage issues (even without recovery partition) the 64GB pro is just worthless to most people. I mean, they are billing this is a laptop-replacement that has 30GB of storage space. That's a "no compromise experience"? No way.

The 64GB model just seems to have been completely poorly thought out--even if it was a LOT cheaper than the 128. I am leaning towards getting one of these things (whenever they might actually be available for purchase) but I'd never even consider buying the 64. I think I've only seen 1 or two people who have posted on this site who even bought a 64 out of all the people who managed to snag one...

I agree. When I told my wife I wanted one and they released pricing information, even SHE (who is not a gadget geek like I am) looked at the 64GB (at $100 less than the 129GB) as pointless.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
the 64gb model is completely useless, not fully thought through and is tarnishing the product as a whole

there is no actual shortage of the 128gb model, rather, microsoft has created an artificial shortage in order to shift buyers down to the more readily available (and likely more profitable) 64gb model

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of getting the 64GB and just adding a microsdxc card (64g).

Can anyone tell me if this is practically the same as buying the 128GB? Or am I missing something ?
I figured the micro card can be bought for ~$45-50

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Can anyone tell me if this is practically the same as buying the 128GB? Or am I missing something ?

Full OS, don't see this as a bad option because of that.

zhuz

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
If there are people who are willing to buy 64gb MacBook airs, then there should be a place for a 64gb surface, no? Especially when surface has a microsdxc expansion slot which MacBook air does not.
I don't get what everyone is complaining about saying that there's absolutely no market for the 64gb.

I feel like there's too much negativity brought on by the media, and people are just echoing what they're reading in reviews.

sleepyking

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
If there are people who are willing to buy 64gb MacBook airs, then there should be a place for a 64gb surface, no? Especially when surface has a microsdxc expansion slot which MacBook air does not.I don't get what everyone is complaining about saying that there's absolutely no market for the 64gb.I feel like there's too much negativity brought on by the media, and people are just echoing what they're reading in reviews.
Me too I'm not really sure why it's useless?With the micro slot available wouldn't it be better to save $50 and get the card? Also sky drive is available to use for a lot of documents, pics, videos.

zhuz

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Me too I'm not really sure why it's useless?With the micro slot available wouldn't it be better to save $50 and get the card? Also sky drive is available to use for a lot of documents, pics, videos.

In my opinion if you think you will be using all 128gb, then it's better to buy the 128gb model, with an option to expand using microsd in the future, instead of getting the 64gb + 64gb microsd. You should always leave yourself some breathing room.
However, if you really think 64gb is enough, then that's the one you should get, and have the option to always expand in the future. Up to you though.

It's also important to note that the extra 64gb in ssd space will be much much faster than the 64gb on microsd.

superlawyer15

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

run a speed test on an ssd
...then run one on a microsd card

ChrisInSD

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
If there are people who are willing to buy 64gb MacBook airs, then there should be a place for a 64gb surface, no? Especially when surface has a microsdxc expansion slot which MacBook air does not.
I don't get what everyone is complaining about saying that there's absolutely no market for the 64gb.

I feel like there's too much negativity brought on by the media, and people are just echoing what they're reading in reviews.

Well a couple of days after launch it went on sale for $100 off so it doesn't seem that MSFT sees in their sales numbers a huge market for it either. What if I need to install more than 30GB of software on my Surface? Can I run Office (non 365) off my SD card? Will it be fast? What if I remove the card? Can I point iTunes to find my music library on the SD card vs the "C" drive?

This all may be easy and there are plenty of work-arounds. But for non-tech people who simply want technology that works I know that my life will simply be easier if I have the 128GB model and I won't have to worry about all of those questions. And that's worth $100 to me.

cme4oil

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
From what I understand, the gift card does NOT apply to the Surface Tablets. I took a 64gb unit all the way to checkout and no card shows up either..

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I got the 100$ card when I ordered a 64GB surface a couple of days ago. I'm going to use it to buy a type cover. The coupon is good 7 days after shipment.

And I've had a Win7 Tablet for over 2 years that has a 64GB SSD in it and I still have 40GB free so I'm not sure what the big deal about 64GB not being enough. I'm not going to put actual large media on it when I can just stream it to the device through WIFI and DLNA and even with slower speeds a 64GB SD card will suffice if I really need more space.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

Practically, yes; that's why the 128 is only $100 more. Just keep in mind that unusable space on the 64 is proportionally greater, and this is what makes the 128 a better buy for many. But, if 30-38 of built-in memory, plus up-to 64GBs is plenty for your storage needs, applying the $100 to a keyboard may be the better buy for you. Most people have much more strorage then they use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mietaz