Random WiFi latency issues?

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Surface Pro 128GB last weekend, and I am experiencing a frequent problem: From time to time, my Wifi connection gets extremely slow. This typically happens after I'm using the unit for a while (30-60+ minutes).

When I notice the latency, I try pinging for example, yahoo.com and I am noticing latency times in the 400+ ms range (usually 1000ms and more).

Any ideas? This is very frustrating and I am curious to know if I have a defective unit.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've noticed that the latency usually occurs when I'm on battery, and it gets a bit better when I plug the unit back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

annchez

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
In the beginning it seemed like my wifi connection was doing that too, I waited for a few minutes but the page would just keep spinning. Apparently it was just IE because using Chrome or Firefox doesn't give me that problem at all. But a few times a day, I would lose connection completely for a few seconds and have to reset it. Haven't paid attention whether it only happens when on battery though.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think there's an issue.

While streaming Netflix (app) I noticed it'd buffer indefinitely until I press back and play again.

Similarly, the Store, People and Email apps would fail and give me the "not connected to the internet" message.

I found the second day to be the worst, 2-3 hours of slow internet. Since then, the issue hasn't been frequent, but it does tend to happen at least once or twice a day for 3-4 seconds each time.

ChrisInSD

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I think there's an issue.

Unfortunate if true. Particularly because at Surface launch event they carried on for a while about the amazing Wi-Fi technology built into the device and proclaimed it would have (paraphrase) "the best wi-fi experience of any device ever." :/

TheGeekNextDoor

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Go into the Power Options in the control panel. Click on Changed advanced power settings. There is a Wireless Adapter Settings node in the settings tree. Change it to a different setting when on battery. This is true for all laptops.

StarLog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
In the beginning it seemed like my wifi connection was doing that too, I waited for a few minutes but the page would just keep spinning. Apparently it was just IE because using Chrome or Firefox doesn't give me that problem at all. But a few times a day, I would lose connection completely for a few seconds and have to reset it. Haven't paid attention whether it only happens when on battery though.

If youwant a good browser, get Opera.
It has touch capability, works great with the Pro

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
After some testing it seems the Surface Pro works best with a router configured to exclusively put out 802.11n - as opposed to 802/11 b/g/n.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon