Wake Surface Pro when open the cover

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. Just got my new Surface Pro 128GB model. Definitely a great device as I plan to carry to do some development for my school work. Now I just have a question for all of you. Can you wake up the Surface pro after open the cover or you need to press some keys on the keyboard or the power button to wake it up? I did mess with it by disable to Hibernate from power option as well as create a custom plan for it. I tried with both Type and Touch cover but none of the automatically wake the Surface on. I have the RT and it is on after I open the cover? Should it automatically wake up like notebook always does?

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I saw on a review of the Surface Pro that the Touch/Type Covers don't wake it up from sleep. You need to press the power button.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I saw on a review of the Surface Pro that the Touch/Type Covers don't wake it up from sleep. You need to press the power button.
I learned this a week ago with the demo model at the local BB store. I thought it might be a power or display setting, but I found nothing and eventually accepted I had to push the button with the Pro. Sounds like something that could be firmware-updated or otherwise modified. Then again, it is a nearly-instant-on push and not a laptop-like resume. It's possible that there is a setting I did not find. They had the type cover on the Pro demo and a touch cover on the RT, and I tried switching the covers to check for the possibility of a faulty cover -plus my only experience was with a touch cover on the auto-waking RT. I had to push the Pro's button with both covers.

Last edited:

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Surface Pro and yes, it does not wake up when opening the cover. I have a Surface RT as well and will miss that feature.

-m

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Just got a Surface Pro and yes, it does not wake up when opening the cover. I have a Surface RT as well and will miss that feature.

-m

Likewise. I was kinda "huh" when I first flipped the cover open and got nada. Had to search for it to make sure nothing was wrong.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, I'm kind of glad. With the shorter battery life and more heat generated with the Pro, I don't want the device ever accidentally waking up in my back because the cover popped open just a bit.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually in Power Options in Control Panel, disabled the Sleep when closing the "lid" (cover) and set the whole thing to sleep after 15 minutes on battery. I move the tablet around a lot so it's easier to manually sleep it with the power button when I want it to sleep, then to sleep and wake it with the cover/power button. Not a good bad trade off... I'm getting used to viewing this unit more like a laptop then a tablet (the RT acts more like a tablet).

I also changed the maximum processor usage to 50% when on battery, in hope to extend battery life and reduce heat a little... it does get pretty warm.

-m

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon