Should you use a screen protector on a Surface Pro?

MadSci2

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
My Surface Pro won't arrive till March so I have some time to decide if a Screen Protector is needed, a good idea, or a hindrance.

What advice can current Pro Users give me? Does a screen protector interfere with the touch display? What about when using the pen?

Unlike my cell phone, whose screen is exposed all the time, particularly in my pocket, my Pro will have the type cover to protect it when not in use. Is it enough.

Looking forward to the input from some of you Surface zPro "Gruzzled Veterins
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

TheAccuser

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've never been a fan of them, but I got a 2-pack for free with my Pro at the Cincinnati Microsoft store. They offered to put it on for me, and the guy did a great job. It was marketed as an anti-fingerprint screen protector, and must admit it is working. The fingerprints are MUCH less evident than they ever were on my Surface RT sans screen protector.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't going to use a screen protector but after using the Surface Pro for one week, I had slight scratch on the surface. I picked up the Incipio Plex Screen Protector (a 2 pack clear anti-fingerprint) and put it on yesterday. Here is what I did to avoid frustration....

I cleaned the counter in the kitchen (where I was applying the SP), cleaned the surface of the Surface, cleaned my hands real good, and went for it. I did try something I saw in a YouTube video that I think helped immensely. I whipped out the blue painters tape I had in the basement and put the SP on the surface for a test fit. When I got it where I wanted it, I taped the top edge of the SP to the back of the Surface, in essence making a hinge. I cleaned the Surface once more inspecting for any little dust particles and pulled the rear protecting film of the SP off and down as I applied pressure to the SP. It went on really easy and I am proud to say after working out the air bubbles, there was no dust and no bubbles.

The whole process took about 30 minutes or so.

Now I can use the Surface without worrying about damaging the surface.

OliverK

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I never had a protector on my RT and I didn't have one scratch, not even a tiny hairline scratch so I started to dismiss this thread and then I noticed a tiny hairline scratch on my two day old Pro!

Must have been caused by the stylus/pen so I improvised and cut an android tablet protector to cover the display.

I'm really annoyed that I managed to get hairline scratches using the pen that came with the Pro as I am a perfectionist.

Last edited:

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the same thing happen with my RT. I decided not to get a screen protector and I ended up getting a tiny hairline scratch. Not big enough to notice unless you were looking but it was there. When I got the Pro, I bought a Zagg shield protector right away.

I have it on now and have mixed feelings. First, it doesn't fit right. The BB person said that it was made wrong so the holes don't line up. Also, there are slight imperfections from when the guy put it on because I think it was his first time putting one on a tablet. He said to check back in a few weeks when the new Zagg shields were available and they would replace it for free.

I like the comfort of knowing that I won't get a scratch on my screen but the Shield does cause the pen to drag more than I like. Has anyone used a screen protector that doesn't cause the pen to drag?

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone used a screen protector that doesn't cause the pen to drag?

I have the Incipio Plex Screen Protector and I find it very smooth to use with the pen. There might be the slightest of drag on it but to be honest, I don't remember if the naked screen was any different.

The Incipio SP BTW is made for the Pro so it fits perfectly. Use my technique in a few posts above to make the process of installing the SP relatively pain free.

BTW...I think the slight scratch on mine may have come from using the eraser on the pen. I guess it is possible there was some foreign particle on there that may have caused the scratch...but I'm just guessing as I really have no idea how it got there.

DB2020

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same drag issues as fonxman78. Besides that, the Zagg seems like a great protector, but it's annoying enough that I'm considering getting an Incipio Plex protector instead. But I don't know if Incipio Plex has a lifetime warranty, like the Zagg. I know it comes with two screen protectors, but is there a lifetime warranty on them?

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
No protector for me. Always used to use them on phones then I realized they are always damaged, I'm not replacing it every month, and its like putting plastic on your couch. I'm gonna live life and enjoy the thing, any tiny scratches can't be anything compared to the look of a screen protector.

no more preserving my devices for whoever I sell them to.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
dust wont scratch gorilla glass... few things would infact.

On the other hand, may things would scratch the far softer screen protectors.

DocSc00teR

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Like others, I received the 2-pack of Pro protectors from Incipio when I purchased my Surface Pro at the Microsoft Store (Tyson's, VA). The sales team put it on for me.

About an hour into using the machine for the first time, I noticed a defect in the screen -- a weird kind of ripple or scratched area. I don't know if I somehow scratched the screen protector, or if it was that way from the beginning. Since I was overseas on business for the week, there was nothing to do about it but live with it. (Funny how something so small can become a big annoyance, though. Like having something stuck in your teeth -- it's small, but it feels HUGE.)

When I got back stateside, I swung by the Microsoft Store and showed them the marred spot. Minutes later, they were ripping open a new package of screen protectors and replacing mine. They were very thorough with the installation, not only in cleaning the screen but in examining the installation inch-by-inch and using rolled up clear tape to tug away any possible speck of dust. The result is great.

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of whether or not you need a screen protector. But if you're gonna get one, and if you live near a MS Store, it's worth having them do it for you.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I never put on on my RT because I got spoiled with Gorilla Glass on my 900 and 920. However, I went ahead and got the Incipio for my Pro as a "protect your investment" sort of measure, and also as others have stated because of the stylus use. I really don't have any regrets on this particular protector, as the surface of it is relatively smooth and not too different from the bare screen on my RT.

A two pack for $20 isn't too bad, and the best practice to prevent dust during application is to slap that thing on right when you get your Surface out of the plastic wrap. At that point, all you have to worry about is bubbles, but if you find yourself creating big ones while laying down the protector, bring it back "up" to that spot to open the bubble and then lay it down again. At worst, use the squeegee card to get them out; it works pretty well.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't use screen protectors, but...

Screen protectors make more sense on plastic digitizers (like they use on the Nintendo DS). Mainly because there's a chance a piece of debris may become stuck on the stylus and scratch the plastic, which scratches easily.

Screen protectors on a capacitive surface? My capacitive touchscreen-phones have gotten maybe a scratch or two in the cosmetic sense from being dropped or meeting up with something sharp in my purse, but nothing that would impede the display or workings of the screen. Phones, like most computer hardware, seem to become worthless once you're done with 'em unless they're iPhones (boo!), and often end up getting placed in the spare-phone drawer or recycled, so minor cosmetics just don't worry me that much. Also, they do not protect against shattering.

On the Surface, the screen is hard enough not to be damaged by the stylus, and the touch/type cover protects it while not in use or stuffed in a bag, so I just can't see a realistic use for screen protectors unless you think random bits of sand or diamond dust might suddenly just appear under your stylus. (For example, one who lives in the Sahara....)

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Screen protectors belong on everything touch. Too many chances for accidents in life. There is nothing worse than getting a huge scratch in the middle of the screen that you are stuck with. $20 can save you years of aggravation.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I work at an electronics repair shop. I sell screen protectors all day long. I have a screen protector called the clear protector on both my pro and my 8x. It is 100% bubble free, and lifetime warranty if anything going wrong. And you can take it off as many times as you want and re apply it as many times as you want also. Go to clearprotector.com and see if you think its worth it for your devices. They're self healing and scratch proof. They're applied with water and made to be 100% bubble free, always.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05