MicroSD in Surface Pro - SkyDrive Location

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
On my Surface Pro, I know my 64GB MicroSD card mounts as a drive...however, I'd like to make it my drive for my SkyDrive (desktop) syncing...the SkyDrive app doesn't seem to like the "drive." Any way around this?

intranoggin

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Did this work for you? Mine just dumped all my existing SkyDrive files onto the c: drive and created my mapped microSD based files as new SkyDrive folders.

-Ryan

IamSovereign

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
You can accomplish this by tricking windows to think the SD card is a HardDisk. After you follow them you will be able to install Skydrive on the SD Card, partition the SD Card and mount both partitions, install apps... etc. I am sure there are numerous other uses as well. Here are instructions (I have tried to post them to their own thread in the past but moderators never seem to approve lol.

First and Foremost... This is FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ISSUES THAT ARISE FROM THE USE OF THIS PROCEDURE. With that said, it works flawlessly on my Surface Pro.

Second, I want to thank MetalDwarf for coming up with a solution to enable this on 64 bit versions of Windows 7 which can be found at hardforum.com. Fortunately, it also works on windows 8. I also want to thank the other websites and original authors of software and instructions that are mentioned elsewhere in this guide. It took me a while to figure out how to do this so I consolidated all the information into this one document to simplify the research.

I have also consolidated all the files needed in this zip (Mount_SD_Card_as_HardDisk_SurfacePro.rar) at https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=24FD12D02668C77A!2094&authkey=!ANCTYfgdJbs7HJw or each can be downloaded separately. (see below list)

Download the 64bit Hitachi Microdrive driver “cfadisk-x64-1.zip”.

Download the Driver Signature Enforcement Override “dseo13b.exe” from NGHQ.com (It says it is only for up to Windows 7 but it does work on Windows 8)

Download My_WCP_Watermark_Editor.exe

Disable secure boot on the Surface Pro

Perform this procedure as originally posted at surfacetablethelp.com

"* First boot Surface to the UEFI Firmware Settings in Windows 8 “Advanced Options” UI.
Open charms bar from start screen, tap Setting > Change PC settings > General, and then “Restart now” under Advanced startup. Tap on “Troubleshoot” in the “Choose an option” screen > Advanced options > UEFI Firmware Settings, and “Restart” button.
You can also hold down the Volume Up key on the tablet during the initial stages at boot.
* While Surface are booted directly to an all black screen with two options: Security Device Support, Secure Boot Control.
Tap the space labeled [Enabled], next to Secure Boot Control, and select [Disabled] from pop up prompting. Then tap Exit Setup"

Enable Loading of Unsigned Drivers

run cmd.exe as the administrator
Now type the following
"bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" (without the "")
press Enter:
"bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON" (without the "")
press Enter:
Note: this will create a permanent watermark on the desktop showing the Surface Pro in Test Mode. This watermark can easily be removed with My_WCP_Watermark_Editor.exe
Editing and Installing the Unsigned Driver

The below part is copied directly from MetalDwarf's post and all credit goes to him, however, I have added the specifics to accomplish this on the Surface Pro.

Part A
First you need to find the name of your USB or SDHC device
run -> regedit -> navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBSTOR
Right click on "Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_USB3.0_CRW__-SD&Rev_1.00" and click "copy key name"

Part B
unzip the files from " cfadisk-x64-1.zip " and open cfadisk.inf in notepad.
scroll down to the section [cfadisk_device] you will see the line
%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,IDE\DiskTS64GCF400__________________________ ____20101008

delete everything after the comma so you are left with
%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,
paste your device string you copied in Part A starting from USBSTOR into the line just after the comma, no spaces.
you should have something that looks like this
%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic-&Prod_USB3.0_CRW__-SD&Rev_1.0
repeat this process for the section immediately below called
[cfadisk_device.NTamd64]

If you are so inclined you can name your device at the bottom of the file by editing the text in the quotes in the last line after it says
Microdrive_devdesc = "your device name here"
save the file, you now have a functioning driver.

Part C
You now need to install the driver
Open Device Manager, open Disk drives, right click on "SDXC Card" and chose to update driver.
Click "Browse my computer for drivers software" then click "Let me pic from a list of device drivers on my computer." Now click "Have Disk" and open the .ini file you just edited.
Windows will ***** and complain that the file is not signed, and not a compatible driver. Proceed anyways.
Once installed you should see the USB device show up as a "Disk Drive"

Sign the Newly Installed Driver and Remove Watermark

Run dseo13b.exe as an administrator.
Click Next, then Yes.
Check "Sign a System File" and click Next.
Enter the path to the newly installed driver and click OK. For me it was C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\cfadisk.sys
Exit the program.
Run My_WCP_Watermark_Editor.exe as an administrator.
Check “Remove Watermark” at the top and click Apply Settings.
Reboot the Surface Pro and you should see the SD Card listed beside the C Drive as a Hard Disk. The watermark should also be removed.
Now you can move SkyDrive to the SD Card, install programs, create multiple partitions or whatever else you desire. Enjoy! :)

stlao

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This tutorial is great, but i've found a problem with my surface pro.

I did follow this guide line by line, but my surface pro start self repair after the reboot after this tweak, any idea about this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss