An issue with resume from sleep?

kingbobyjr

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought I had an issue on my Surface Pro with resume from sleep when sometimes it wouldn't wake back up by pressing a key on the keyboard or the Windows logo key on the Surface. It was odd to me in that sometimes it would wake and other times it wouldn't wake until I pressed the power button. This only happened when running off of the battery, never plugged in.

So I dug into the Power Settings and learned this. In the Balanced plan, on battery only, the Surface will go to sleep after 15 minutes of no activity. I then learned that after one hour it will hibernate.

It appeared to me that what I thought was an issue with resume from sleep was actually the Surface in hibernation. In hibernation, the only way I can find to wake the Surface up is to press the power button.

So I did a simple test, I let the Surface go to sleep. If I pressed a key on the keyboard from the time it went in to sleep mode until the time it went into hibernation, it would resume...always. If I let it sleep than go into hibernation, none of the keys would wake it other than the power button.

Just thought I would share this just in case others were puzzled about why it sometimes would resume from the keyboard or the Windows logo button and other times it would only resume with a press from the power button.

invisik

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that sounds like it is working an designed. The Pro acts more like a laptop when it comes to sleeping then a tablet. I am learning the same tricks here.

I also disabled the sleeping when closing the cover as I like to frequently open and close the cover while moving around. That can help have the unit on and ready too but then sleep after 15-20 minutes of inactivity.

-m

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills