Note taking on Pro

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Posting this question from my Surface RT. What I am most in need of is a device I can use at work for note taking to replace pen & pad and scanning. Notes in client and prospect meetings, notes with various internal teams, mark-ups of PDF's, etc. We use a lot of Excel and I know that will be just fine on any Win 8 tablet.

The reason I think my RT falls short for note taking is no digitizer support, so the quality of the writing will be poor (and I already have horrific penmanship).

My question boils down to this. We are a MS shop, but most people on teams I work with will only have basic MS office programs installed (most don't have/use OneNote) and Acrobat reader. If I get the Pro will I still be able to efficiently share notes & marked up PDF's with them that they can access/see (they don't necessarily need to be able to edit).
Thank for any input.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why not. If they can access the same documents and PDFs using the same programs/applications you use, then they should see and access them just fine. You're just sharing the file/doc. They can also use MS's web Office apps when anywhere else other than the office.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I use one note for my needs. you can markeup excel directly if you want. PDFs get a little bit harder...

In any case, Im not entirely sure how one note works so far as sharing goes... its fantasticly synced between your devices, yet Im not sure where the little files go, if they can be sent, and if they would open up in a different program if the other user did not have one note installed.

I cant test it because I have one note on all of my devices.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I use one note for my needs. you can markeup excel directly if you want. PDFs get a little bit harder...

In any case, Im not entirely sure how one note works so far as sharing goes... its fantasticly synced between your devices, yet Im not sure where the little files go, if they can be sent, and if they would open up in a different program if the other user did not have one note installed.

I cant test it because I have one note on all of my devices.

Which OneNote, the app in the store or the one in Microsoft office?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Posting this question from my Surface RT. What I am most in need of is a device I can use at work for note taking to replace pen & pad and scanning. Notes in client and prospect meetings, notes with various internal teams, mark-ups of PDF's, etc. We use a lot of Excel and I know that will be just fine on any Win 8 tablet.

The reason I think my RT falls short for note taking is no digitizer support, so the quality of the writing will be poor (and I already have horrific penmanship).

My question boils down to this. We are a MS shop, but most people on teams I work with will only have basic MS office programs installed (most don't have/use OneNote) and Acrobat reader. If I get the Pro will I still be able to efficiently share notes & marked up PDF's with them that they can access/see (they don't necessarily need to be able to edit).
Thank for any input.

Both Office 13 and Acrobat (at least 11, not sure about 10) have built in pen support. You can even use the pen to directly write into Outlook in Office 13. In acrobat, you just have to go to drawing and markups, and add the pen and eraser buttons to your Quick Launch Tool Bar for quick access to the pen tool. It works great!

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I use the desktop one note... I find it to be cleaner. I pop that baby into portrait mode and go to town. It knows to ditch all the menus at the top and bottom, just a big blank sheet to write on.

acrobat 11... I added the pen and eraser buttons, I still find the function to be limited. I just want to write. If your in excel or whatever, soon as you bring the pen near the screen, it kicks on the pen toolbar and you can already be writing. adobe should be the same way IMO, I shouldn't have to tell it Im about to use a pen when it has a digitizer.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. So for grins and giggles I tried using a stylus with my RT in One Note. Simply doesn't work well enough for my writing style because I rest my writing hand on the screen when writing, which then overrides the stylus...too uncomfortable (for me) not to have my hand resting on the screen. Is it fair to assume that with the digitizer the pen tip overrides a hand/skin touching the screen?

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does block your palm entirely.  It works extremely well in fact.  I turn it with the top to the left because your palm will play with the light sensor on the top.  I guess you turn it the other way if your left handed.<br><br>my issues are entirely with limitations of the software, pdfs being one that irk me only because imo that should be one program with special function for hand notations.  It's very common to need to notate pdfs in business and in school IME.  Office software however has it buttoned up quite well so far that I've seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3