Interesting/unexpected solution for the "Does not work well on lap" problem - with pics!

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got tired of using a giant lapdesk when I had the surface on the couch and was trying to type a lot. The Type Cover didn't seem to work that well when it was directly on my lap, and the whole thing felt unstable. I decided on an external keyboard and got a Microsoft Wedge Keyboard last night. The keyboard itself is wonderful, and it sits on my lap fine while the Pro is on the side table. The cover that comes with the keyboard is pretty hefty and bendy and said it works like a tablet stand. At first I was thinking "the Surface and Pro already have kickstands - why would someone need this?", but then I realized that it was about the right size to act as a tray for the Pro and Type Cover. So I tried it. And it worked! And the fact that it bends makes it so I can adjust the angle of the screen a bit so it's easier to read when it's on my lap. The whole rig feels more stable now and the Type Cover registers every keystroke. Photos below in case you're having trouble visualizing it. I'll probably still use the keyboard for quick check-ins, but this seems like it might be a good solution for long typing bouts (which, obviously, I'm prone to do ;) )

surface_keyboard_001.jpg

surface_keyboard_002.jpg
surface_keyboard_003.jpg
surface_keyboard_004.jpg

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Interesting/unexpected solution for the "Does not work well on lap" problem - with pics!

That's pretty cool, man. Fortunately, for me, the Surface with Type Cover works just fine on my lap. So, I'll save some cash. Although, it works better when I'm sitting on the couch as opposed to on the floor.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Interesting/unexpected solution for the "Does not work well on lap" problem - with pics!

That's pretty cool, man. Fortunately, for me, the Surface with Type Cover works just fine on my lap. So, I'll save some cash. Although, it works better when I'm sitting on the couch as opposed to on the floor.

Must be my slouchy position on the couch or something, but I always feel like the Pro is going to fall over if I have it directly on my lap, and it seems like the Type Cover only registers 3 out of 4 keypresses if it's not on a hard, flat surface. No need to fix a problem that isn't there for you, though :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234