Is anyone doing any serious note taking with with the pen of the Surface Pro..In meetings, or school

JOHNGAETANO

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone is doing any note taking with the pen in meetings, etc..

Do you feel it's a time saver, or more convenient than using paper?

How is the Surface Pro received in those meetings by others?

I take alot of notes in my business, and am trying to see how people like the surface for the pen input and taking notes.

JOHN

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I do. I chose the surface pro mainly because of that capability. I used to take notes/annotate my pdfs in classes in my HP TX2000 but now the battery dies quickly, wifi is broken, fan is noisy and it is a little bit slow for new software. So I opted to move to the surface pro. I also needed something that can handle software such as matlab, and such so I needed the power of surface pro (as compared to some hardware that runs on the atom chip)

The experience is very similar hardware wise, but much better software wise. The hardware pen still needs calibration once in a while which I don't like. I am using the Zagg Shield as a screen protector so It feels a little bit different (but you get used to it). I didn't use a screen protector on the HP TX2000 so it felt smoother but by the end, it was riddled with scratches from the pen. Since I am using it everyday, I don't want to be held by the fact that I want to make sure it is ok. I don't mind abusing the hardware and get the most of it in the process.

In terms of software, I like the combination of using touch to navigate and pen to note. The softwares I use for this are: PDF Annotator ( http://www.ograhl.com/en/pdfannotator )Annotate, Edit and Comment PDF Files. Open any PDF file, add annotations and save all back to PDF in one single step. For desktop computers and Tablet PCs, and one note. I really like PDF Annotator and have been using it for years now. One Note MX is cool and fast but I would like more features, hopefully they are implementing the whole one note to that. One Note (desktop version) is still great and better than before.

In terms of time saving, don't see much time saving while writing the notes. However, I see the benefit after that: everything is organized in digital format which makes them portable, paper and ink saving (that is a lot for me since I am attending classes), using digital books, and the fact that the notes themselves are organized in terms of pen colors and such. I just got tired of moving from one place to another and carry boxes of books and notebooks when i move.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer, I don't take many notes... just not how Im wired, I prefer to listen rather and remember, rather than notate it where I may never refer back...

But, sometimes there are specifics to be jotted down.

With that said, paper is so disorganized for me. I never know where the right note is. I don't care to waste my time with filing systems of sheets of paper and notebooks.

So whatever notes I do take, I much prefer to do electronicly. They organize themselves and they travel with me on laptop, desktop, phone, ect.

therefore, yes, the surface notetaking is nice for shorthand notetaking on a flat surface where an open laptop.surface might be inappropriate. I wander into a one on one meeting in someone elses office, Im not going to pull out my laptop and start typing away on my lap, but a surface with a pen? absolutely.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't brought mine to work, but I have tried out One Note, Word, Wordpad and I can easily see myself using it for serious note taking.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I use inking in OneNote all the time for work. I'm a longtime tablet user though. I'm a visual person... gotta write what I hear or I forget it. But when I can see something it sticks with me for life.

dksmidtx

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am an avid OneNote fan and user, as well as the AutoInk plug-in for Acrobat Pro XI. I usually do not convert to text, because OneNote can search all my handwritten notes as if already converted, which is much quicker for me than typing and indexing. Now if only I could find a cloud storage alternative I really trust, compared to storing everything on the device...

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time at work now - pen when needed, and the silent touch keyboard when lots of typing is required. It has totally replaced my corporate laptop in meetings...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon