Microsoft vs non-Microsoft email for Windows Store and other services

JoeSchmoe007

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I am a new owner of Windows Surface Pro 128GB. Have no prior exposure to recent MS tabs and Windows phones (not counting Windows Mobile years ago).

As you all know MS wants you to sign in with email address to Windows App store and other tab-oriented services.

I wonder if there is any downside to using email address from my web hosting company (I own a domain name) instead of opening new email account via Microsoft's Live.com (or is it Outlook.com these days)? For example one cannot login into Google Plus with Yahoo email or Live.com email (if I am not mistaken) - one has to have Gmail address or host email for your domain with Google.

A co-worker showed me the latest web interface to his Live.com email and just can't stand it. I'd rather use email at my domain but don't want to lose any functionality.

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just make your Microsoft Account the email you use on your domain. A Microsoft Account doesn't have to be a Microsoft domain name (Hotmail, outlook, live) and you're not going to miss out on anything.

I created my MS account a long time ago as an @gmail.com account, and that's how I log in to everything. I can access anything on that account that I can with my @outlook.com account.

Michael Miles

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am a new owner of Windows Surface Pro 128GB. Have no prior exposure to recent MS tabs and Windows phones (not counting Windows Mobile years ago).

As you all know MS wants you to sign in with email address to Windows App store and other tab-oriented services.

I wonder if there is any downside to using email address from my web hosting company (I own a domain name) instead of opening new email account via Microsoft's Live.com (or is it Outlook.com these days)? For example one cannot login into Google Plus with Yahoo email or Live.com email (if I am not mistaken) - one has to have Gmail address or host email for your domain with Google.

A co-worker showed me the latest web interface to his Live.com email and just can't stand it. I'd rather use email at my domain but don't want to lose any functionality.

Actually, for me, I noticed a problem with my windows account when I used my aol. I was unable to send calendar requests to people when I used my aol email. So, since it wasn't a big deal, I jettisoned that account and created an @outlook.com account. Now, I have to have both emails on my Windows Phone 8 device, but my calendar request problem disappeared. I found it odd. However, I tried everything and the easiest answer was just shuttering one account and starting another. I don't need a second email. So, I don't really use @outlook.com, but it's there, if I ever want to fully migrate.

justinm001

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I use my own domain name no problems. I recently needed to merge a few Microsoft accounts and able to have almost all on my main domain, which is now on office365 by Microsoft. Have Xbox, WP, TechNet, office365, and I'm sure about 10 others all on this email account all good
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I've used a non-Live/Hotmail/etc. email to log into Live for about a decade to get at things like my MSDN subscription, SkyDrive, etc. No issues whatsoever, other than it obviously doesn't have MS-hosted email (and calendar?).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss