Idiotic comparison/ Microsoft Surface Pro vs. Apple iPad 4

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: most idiotic comparison i have ever read

I don't understand the comparisons either. Every review you read mentions the ipad. When Apple comes out with a I-5 powered, Windows 8 ipad I'd love to compare, till then, don't care about it nor do I need it compared to every full Windows 8 tablet I look up. That was ALMOST a rant:D

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Yep, people still don't understand the Surface concept. Apparently not even reviewers like this guy.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I stopped reading at the processor comparison, it was clearly all going downhill from there.

The lack of responsibility in this avenue of journalism disgusts me. All they are concerned with is page views, even when those page views are people flocking to the article to see the writer making a fool of themselves, which seems to happen too often recently. Where are the "dislike" and "-1" buttons?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, when his entire processor comparison came down to number of cores and clock speed with out taking architecture into account, my face and palm were destined to come together. I sent the guy an "informative" email.

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site

Aside from its shyness about full OS disclosure (it comes with Windows 8 Pro), or its reluctance to provide the CRN Test Center with a Surface review unit, Microsoft's second-edition tablet stacks up nicely next to Apple's latest iPad, at least technically
Wow. Four misses in one sentence.

"...shyness about full OS disclosure..." Huh? It runs Windows 8 Pro. You want the build number?

"...review unit..." Sour grapes much? Maybe they realized you didn't have a clue.

"...second generation tablet..." This isn't a second generation. The RT is targeted at a different segment and both were announced at the same time.

"...at least technically..." Looking at the review, the "non-technical" comparisons come from trying to fit it into the wrong product class. A Ford Focus is a better value than a Lincoln Towncar, if you're looking at gas mileage, too.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

If they wanted to do a fair review, a better comparison would be between Surface Pro and MacBook Air.

The MBA is not a touch enabled hybrid device, let alone a pure tablet. It is not a basis for comparison for anyone outside the crowd who can't handle the fact that Surface Pro has some negatives when the discussion is just tablet to tablet. If you want to bring MBA into the picture then you need to also consider the Lenovo hybrids and the whole array of Windows 8 I5 laptops. If you bring those into the picture, Surface Pro is overpriced, has middling performance, and offers a battery life that stopped being acceptable a few years back. If you don't like a review, comment on its specifics or just ignore it (what a novel concept). Trying to change the question to one you think is more advantageous is as challenged as the original bad review.

polbit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
As many have said, the beauty of Surface Pro is that it doesn't fit into a predefined category. I'm not sure that it will ever beat the sales numbers of an iPad, but for many of us, it's a much more appealing device. Unfortunately comparing it to an iPad 4, or to a Macbook Air, misses the point - it would need to be compared to an iPad/Air hybrid, which does not exist.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Comparisons like this are the reason for me waiting for a tablet that competes in the same way the Surface Pro does.

That is an unfilled niche, if you ask me.
Microsoft better not screw up availability in the next few months.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
After seeing family members purchase and use iPads, I'm fully convinced they are completely dumb devices. However, that's all that most people need. The problem is with these publications who fail to see that there may be people who want something more. Just look at the Penny Arcade article.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
These Surface Pro vs iPad comparisons are as facepalm worthy as Surface Pro (and Atom Windows 8 tablets) vs Windows RT comparisons in these forums.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Function wise, the are very similar and serve similar target audience. Individuals that are willing to pay a premium for a device that is portable and does what they want it to do. The surface pro wins in terms of productivity but loses in terms of entertainment, price, and portability.
When seeking primarily productivity and legacy apps we will want to compare the surface pro against the MBA, but when considering entertainment and portability we will want to compare it against the iPad.
Apple proved this when the iPad too over the netbook market and pushed the current ms touch tablets out of the market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Function wise, the are very similar and serve similar target audience. Individuals that are willing to pay a premium for a device that is portable and does what they want it to do. The surface pro wins in terms of productivity but loses in terms of entertainment, price, and portability.
When seeking primarily productivity and legacy apps we will want to compare the surface pro against the MBA, but when considering entertainment and portability we will want to compare it against the iPad.
Apple proved this when the iPad too over the netbook market and pushed the current ms touch tablets out of the market.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Not sure I can see your point, You can't compare an iPad to a Laptop even if it is running Windows 8 and has a touchscreen because one is a tablet and one is a laptop.

You can't compare the Surface Pro in ANY way because it really IS a Laptop (be it ultra portable and all that), it is just in more of a Tablet form factor.

Surface RT is more of a direct competitor to the iPad as it is an actual Tablet, thinking he Pro is a tablet because it looks like an RT is just pain... Well... idiotic (speaking to the reviewer at this point).

Just because I make a car in the shape of a chicken does not make the car a chicken, nor does it now make a chicken a car.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure I can see your point, You can't compare an iPad to a Laptop even if it is running Windows 8 and has a touchscreen because one is a tablet and one is a laptop.

You can't compare the Surface Pro in ANY way because it really IS a Laptop (be it ultra portable and all that), it is just in more of a Tablet form factor.

Surface RT is more of a direct competitor to the iPad as it is an actual Tablet, thinking he Pro is a tablet because it looks like an RT is just pain... Well... idiotic (speaking to the reviewer at this point).

Just because I make a car in the shape of a chicken does not make the car a chicken, nor does it now make a chicken a car.

Unfortunately, it's out of our control. MS is pitching the Surface Pro as a tablet. MS has told the entire world that the Surface Pro is a tablet. This is why even BestBuy lists the Surface Pro under the 'tablet' category. Going off your analogy, yes, you're right MS has made the laptop in the shape of a chicken and is telling people to categorize it under chicken, and yes, their marketing calls it a "laptop in the form of a tablet."

The fact is.... MS has told them to categorize it as a tablet and the tablet is taking away sales from laptops. So, the tablet is the next evolution to computers. The way desktops were replaced by laptops, tablets will do the same with laptops, which is why traditional laptop sales are down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs