Should I replace my laptop with a surface pro?

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Right now I have a HP Laptop that I have upgraded to Win8. It has a 3-core AMD with 4GB RAM, an ATI dual GPU(switches between a 4200 and a 5400) and a Blu-ray drive.

I got it a couple years ago mainly for downloading photographs on the go and working in Lightroom and Photoshop. Although it can run a good deal of games, I rarely use it for such. Mainly just for the photography stuff, watching videos, and web browsing.

I originally had an iPad for doing the photo stuff on the go but it wasn't working well at all so I got the laptop.

So I guess my question is thus: would the Surface Pro work well for the above uses? Mainly Lightroom, Photoshop CS4, and videos and music?

I would probably get the 128GB and eventually a 64GB mini sdxc card. I checked, and the last 4 years of photographs averaged 27-28GB a year total in size.

What are your guy's thoughts?

iBandar

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I bought mine 2 weeks ago and have replace my laptop. I am an engineering student, I can run Matlab, Multisim etc. without any problems. I have noticed that Surface Pro out performs every other i5 powered laptops. I am sure you will have no problem shifting to Surface Pro. Everyone *****ing about the battery life oftern forget that Its fast as laptop in tablet form factors. They can't extend the battery life without compromizing the size.

Anyways, if money is not your concern, you won't regret buying a Surface for your use. Photoshop and Lightroom will work fine :)

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok good, thanks! I've been waiting for it to come out to see how it performs since I've wanted something more easy to wield than a laptop.

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
The only thing you might miss is the Blu-Ray. I found a well-rated external DVD on New Egg for $25, though.

Honestly, I rarely use the drive for blu-rays or DVDs. Most of the movies I have I just rip on my desktop to the harddrive and then transfer them from there to my laptop if I want to watch them on it.

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm a photographer who bought a Surface Pro. Like you, I wanted to be able to run Photoshop and other photographic apps such as Nikon Camera Control for tethered shooting and the Pocket Wizard Utility for configuring my flashes. It works perfectly. Just remember, its got a 10.6" screen at 1920x1080 res. Things will be tiny. With a mouse, I could use Photoshop on the go but It's not a substitute for a powerful desktop with multi monitors.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I love my surface, but its a supplement in addition to my xps16 laptop and gaming desktop.

For instance, right now Im sitting on the couch with the XPS, I was just playing SimCity. Now Im responding to you :p

But for work and lectures, the surface pro shines where mobility is concerned.

I wasn't sure before, but Im now of the mind that a 10" screen will *never* serve as my only mobile platform. Its a simple compromise of size for size. I find both to serve a discrete purpose for me.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
How big is your current laptop's screen? The 10'' screen might be small for you. In many aspects, it's like a tablet.... You can't upgrade the ram or the HD. The microSd card is good for storage, but not great for installation of apps (this requires some mild hacking).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I do not have a surface, but if you ever want to play a game made in the last couple years, that intelhd4000 is not going to make you happy.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely! I run Lightroom on my Pro 128 and it's great. Nice when you're shooting on location and need a quick touch up to show someone. When you're home just plug it into an external monitor and voila, you have everything you could ask for. I have had zero regrets about my purchase and I can't imagine going back.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Sold my laptop and my iPad to buy my wife a Surface Pro. I have a tablet for work and a beast desktop for my studio. She does a lot of Photoshop and Excel and its phenomenal. I just need Verizon to pick up a good Win8 tab so I can get one for work (my work tab had to be LTE)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
My workplace purchased me a Surface Pro 128 and I returned my recently purchased (and quite good) ASUS 11.6" touch screen laptop. I initially felt cramped with only 128GB but I found out that you can install AND run programs to the MicroSD card, and it runs fairly fast. I echo the comments about the i5 processor...the Surface Pro is quite fast and I am sure the SSD helps. It still isn't quite good for using as a laptop on a lap or arm of couch but works just fine on a table or as a tablet. I like it a lot...

Mercule

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I do not have a surface, but if you ever want to play a game made in the last couple years, that intelhd4000 is not going to make you happy.
This is a fair point. I've never been much of a gamer, so it didn't occur to me. Then again, I'd think the screen size would be sufficient turn off for anyone with gaming as a priority. This is a mobile device. It goes head-to-head rather nicely in every other area I can think of, though (other than for people with terabytes of videos, etc.).

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
This is a fair point. I've never been much of a gamer, so it didn't occur to me. Then again, I'd think the screen size would be sufficient turn off for anyone with gaming as a priority. This is a mobile device. It goes head-to-head rather nicely in every other area I can think of, though (other than for people with terabytes of videos, etc.).

He did say he plays games on occasion, though.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I want a huge laptop I can't even lift...

While the surface is certainly a mobile option, the entire market seems to think that touch=mobile=low end specs, because ACPI power saving functions don't exist and having worse specs is good for battery life! The near universal adoption of the intel HD4000 for anything with a touchscreen has left me quite bitter in my latest laptop purchase.

I have been buying convertible laptops since 2007. I love them. My first convertible had a touchscreen, digital pen, fingerprint scanner, dedicated and powerful gpu(!), DVD drive(!), the laptop external PCI port, IR remote for media center, two 3.5mm audio out jacks and a 3.5mm mic jack, a touchpad with physical buttons (god damn the person who decided that getting rid of physical buttons was a smart idea), dedicated media keys and volume keys (who the **** decided using Fn was a good idea?!).... All of this in a neat 12.1" package. It was a portable gaming machine that I could also bring to class and take notes on.

Then the iPad came out and ruined the tablet market, for back in those days, convertible laptops WERE tablets, and the... thing... that apple decided to call a tablet was inevitably the next big hit and no one cared about convertible laptops for a while.

At least, to hold me over for another few years there was a newer model of the same laptop I had, which I bought. Better baseline specs, but no DVD drive, no PCIe, only one 3.5mm jack that doubled as the mic jack, no remote, no dedicated volume or media keys, and the stupid mac-like touchpad with no physical buttons. The performance was improved, but the feature set was greatly reduced to cheapen the cost of making it. And I couldn't optionally just pay more to get the features back. sadface.

Fast forward to windows 8; "finally!" I thought. "More convertible laptops, and this time I'll have a lot of choices instead of being stuck with the one convertible that gets a new model every few years!". Sadly the aforementioned line of models was killed off and the concept of a dedicated GPU+touchscreen died with it. I found exactly one convertible that did not use the intel HD4000: it used some crappy ATI GPU instead, and also had an AMD CPU... overall the specs were *worse* than a standard i5 with HD4000.

And all 8 convertible laptops suffer from the aforementioned regression of features in favor of trying to have the most gimmicky type of hinge.

After looking at all the proposed laptop convertibles that aren't even out yet, I see that there is no hope for this techie/gamer in the near future.* So as sad as I am to part with my beloved touchscreen.... I bought a normal laptop. I might try to do one of those touchscreen kits, but I can't find anything in my laptop's size.

*:Before you run off to contradict me about how amazing post iPad tablets are and how they improved your life and got you married and that my opinion about their usefulness is wrong, please note that this rant is the rant of someone who has no use for something without a keyboard/mouse/touchpad.

Thanks for reading my rant. No you can't have the last 5 minutes of your life back.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Why not? The penny arcade guys seemed impressed enough. Leave the top-quality settings for your desktop. I've actually been happy with what this guy's been able to handle so far.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Why not? The penny arcade guys seemed impressed enough. Leave the top-quality settings for your desktop. I've actually been happy with what this guy's been able to handle so far.

My new laptop actually has two GPUs (one for saving power and the other for gaming) the Intel hd4000 is the power saving one.

Let me tell you, I could not play hitman absolution until I told it to use the high end GPU...unless I wanted to play stick figure assassination at low frame rate. There's a limit to how much you can turn down the graphics and still have an enjoyable experience. I remember F.E.A.R. for desktop had some crazy crazy low settings... It was so bad I took cover behind an enemy and riddled a cardboard box with bullets, and then I wondered why my cover was scuttling away from me.

Moreover, I couldn't emulate the ps2 or Wii with any worthwhile frame rate with the hd4000. Just can't really emulate at all, and this is important for me as a gamer.

It's just not a gaming GPU, ESPECIALLY not at 1080p. You have to turn the resolution down to roughly 480 if you plan to play a recently released game...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site

I've loaded Portal 2, Star Trek Online and the older Myst URU...all play flawlessly at default settings. I wasn't expecting highest resolution and it works just fine.

bauerbach

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Im playing starcraft 2, SimCity 2013, blacktops 2, and farcry 3 on my surface.

low settings on all, but it plays well enough.

I mean... if theres a better gaming platform in a 2lb package, Im interested.

serious gaming should be outsourced to something a bit more robust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss