Surface Pro firmware update, pen not working anymore

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded a firmware update today. No problems installing the update but now my pen doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem?

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
others have reported some issues. rebooting a number of times or shutting it down for a while and turning it back on might correct it.
same with the surface pro system aggregate firmware showing a yellow bang in device manager. waiting a while after shutting down has corrected that issue, too.

fonzman78

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
others have reported some issues. rebooting a number of times or shutting it down for a while and turning it back on might correct it.
same with the surface pro system aggregate firmware showing a yellow bang in device manager. waiting a while after shutting down has corrected that issue, too.

Yep, rebooting a couple times fixed the problem. Pen is functional again. Thanks.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Mine kept rebooting while trying to install the firmware update. Finally it did boot up, but checking via control panel for installed updates, it said the firmware update failed. I then checked for updates again, but it would not find the firmware update. In device manager, I had the same error on the aggregator. My solution was to do a system refresh, then check for updates. I deselected all but the system firmware, and it installed fine. Now in the process of installing all the other updates.

Update - all other updates installed correctly. This solved my issue

Last edited:

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine kept rebooting while trying to install the firmware update. Finally it did boot up, but checking via control panel for installed updates, it said the firmware update failed. I then checked for updates again, but it would not find the firmware update. In device manager, I had the same error on the aggregator. My solution was to do a system refresh, then check for updates. I deselected all but the system firmware, and it installed fine. Now in the process of installing all the other updates.

Update - all other updates installed correctly. This solved my issue

wow, that sucks. Thanks for documenting the workaround, though, in case anyone runs into this in the future.

trublsom

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I lost usage of my digitizer/pen after the latest update. I had to reboot a couple of times, The 3rd reboot I did, I did a cold boot (left off for over 10seconds from a shut down) then my pen started to work again.

ONEJourneySteve

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Updated "non critical" as well. Tried to go back to previous restore point. Nothing has worked yet.

Update...
Completely shut down for several minutes. Booted and now everything works fine. Not a very satisfying solution (still can't explain what happened), but this is what worked for me.

Last edited:

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Updated "non critical" as well. Tried to go back to previous restore point. Nothing has worked yet.

Update...
Completely shut down for several minutes. Booted and now everything works fine. Not a very satisfying solution (still can't explain what happened), but this is what worked for me.

The digitizer appears to be partly controlled by the firmware since it works in Ubuntu, so maybe it needed a full shutdown to reset both the FW and Win8 drivers to get them working with each other?

xweb10

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Let me ask this: When you ran the windows update, was your Surface plugged in? Mine was plugged in and I had the same issue with the stylus not working. Unplugged from power, rebooted, and the stylus was back in business.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Let me ask this: When you ran the windows update, was your Surface plugged in? Mine was plugged in and I had the same issue with the stylus not working. Unplugged from power, rebooted, and the stylus was back in business.

Mine was plugged in. Stylus stopped working after the update, I rebooted (still plugged in) and it fixed it. I think it has more to do with the reboot.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. A reboot did nothing for me when plugged in.

maybe it needed two? always hard to tell with MS updates - I recently restored a computer to factory with Win7 and it took something like 14 reboots and checking of Windows Updates to fully get it back up to date... it's like it doesn't know there's a new update until the one directly before it is installed.

Gravity oXo

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I saw a post on Microsoft Answers about the stylus issue. I can't find the post now, but the response from them was basically that they're looking into it, and if you have the problem to click on your Name/Avatar in the top-right of the Start screen. Click "lock". Wait 10 seconds, then log back in. This worked for me. Hope that helps anyone else having issues.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I saw a post on Microsoft Answers about the stylus issue. I can't find the post now, but the response from them was basically that they're looking into it, and if you have the problem to click on your Name/Avatar in the top-right of the Start screen. Click "lock". Wait 10 seconds, then log back in. This worked for me. Hope that helps anyone else having issues.

This solution just worked for me as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro