Using Surface keyboard mode on lap

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I don't own a surface but looking to buy one. I'm just wondering when using Surface with keyboard (touch or type cover) and the kickstand on lap, does it work well? Since the angle is not adjustable I feel like it would be uncomfortable to use it on places that are not "Surfaces".
Please let me know your experience with that.
Also, any other general shortcomings for the Surface Pro?

Thanks in advance!

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't particularly enjoy using my Surface RT on my lap. The angle isn't right for using in your lap. Its right for placing it on a table or desk. It is also wobbly with my touch cover. I haven't tried a type cover, but I would suspect it would work better. The way I use it in my lap is to fold the cover back behind the tablet and grip the tablet itself; holding it at the proper angle. Some of the weight is carried by the hinge and is stabilized by it.

Po_MD

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Its not too bad. Albeit, it does take some getting used to. I typically have they kickstand resting between at the top of my kneecap, as there is a natural indentation. I seldom use it like this, but I think you'll enjoy the Pro either way :)

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Cool thanks for the answers. It's because currently I'm on the Asus Trasformer TF201 android tablet and it works fairly well on laps of course because it's basically a netbook when you connect the keyboard dock, just want to see how Surface fairs when it comes to that.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
One trick a lot of folks use is to cross one leg over your knee, leave the kickstand closed, and lay the Surface across your lap. The angle of the screen will be better and overall more stable. Hard to explain, but in effect the screen is around 45 degrees to the keyboard that way. For me it stands up too straight with the kickstand open on my knees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa