Pro or RT for someone who knows little about tablets....

Catiematte

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So I'm in college. I have a 3yr old Dell Inspiron laptop. It works just fine. I heard about the Surface tablets and I started to really want one. However, I know little about what is actually good out there. I'm not sure whether or not I want to RT or the Pro. I'm not planning to replace my laptop with it. I just want it so I have something lighter to carry around with me. I would have Word so I can do homework and stuff on the go. And I'd use it for entertainment as well, like games and netflix. So which would be better?

HYDR0SH0K

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Since you wouldn't be planning on replacing your laptop, I'd recommend getting the RT. It doesn't allow for typical use of the desktop, but you can still use it for simple things. So that's just a warning, you can't download legacy applications to the desktop like normal laptops. I have both the RT and Pro and love them both. I bought the Pro to replace my old laptop and take my RT to college classes to take notes on. Games on the RT are few, and some lag because it is using an ARM processor. The best thing about the RT is the battery life, it last a long time. Another tip, if you do get the RT, is to buy the Type Cover instead of the Touch Cover; this allows for better/more efficient typing. Hope this helps!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Since you wouldn't be planning on replacing your laptop, I'd recommend getting the RT. It doesn't allow for typical use of the desktop, but you can still use it for simple things. So that's just a warning, you can't download legacy applications to the desktop like normal laptops. I have both the RT and Pro and love them both. I bought the Pro to replace my old laptop and take my RT to college classes to take notes on. Games on the RT are few, and some lag because it is using an ARM processor. The best thing about the RT is the battery life, it last a long time. Another tip, if you do get the RT, is to buy the Type Cover instead of the Touch Cover; this allows for better/more efficient typing. Hope this helps!

+1 to this post.

The RT has a HUGE advantage is that it comes pre-installed with Office 2013. Pro, you would have to buy it. There is also the cist difference with the 2 devices. Battery life on the RT will last you all day and then some, the Pro is more like a Laptop in that regard, so you will need to charge for a long day.

I have both as well and love them both for what they are meant to do, but if you need Word for most, if not all, of your homework, then save some money and go with the RT,

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have the 32 GB RT and the 128 GB Pro.

As others have said about theirs, I love them both.

The Pro is basically a full functioning laptop.

The RT lasts MUCH longer and comes with the MS Office suite FREE. Two huge things.

If you already have a laptop, the RT should be a fine complement to it. You can take your notes and do some spreadsheets. You'll also be able to kill time with casual games.

The 32 GB version is fine if you don't go crazy installing a bunch of apps. But the 64 GB version is q safer bet. With either one you'll want to get an SD card to store your documents and media. Save the on-board storage for app installations.

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
If your not replacing your laptop than the RT is the best choice I have one and it doesn't replace my Laptop it just substitutes, also try the KNO app for cheaper e-books they have just about every textbook

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786