For those of you curious about buying a Surface Pro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDash

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I've seen a lot of interest for this device, so I thought I'd give my impressions after having one for about a month.

Firstly, don't believe the reviews. I expected this device to be "full of compromises" and/or "a poor tablet and a poor laptop" etc. I can tell you that I this bit of technology exceeded my expectations wildly, and is quite honestly the coolest piece of kit I have ever owned.

Impressions:
Every executive meeting I have gone to, I have taken the Surface Pro with me. I love using it for taking notes with the stylus in OneNote (which also syncs with our SharePoint Online server). Every single executive in those meetings has looked at the Surface Pro and said "I want one". And in fact, a customer of ours, based on seeing my Surface Pro in meetings, has decided to start trials to replace their laptop fleet with Surface Pros (when Windows 8.1 goes RTM).

My Apple friends (Designers, Coders, Photographers) all love it. They wish they had a tablet that they can 'produce' content on elegantly. There is no Android or Apple tablet that is good for content creation, only content consumption. My designer friend loves the idea of doing quick wireframes on the tablet in front of customers.

Usability:
The tech reviewers point out every perceived flaw, and like to call this device full of compromises. I personally have found it to be the closest thing to a no compromise device as I have ever owned. I generally take it to the office in the morning and plug it into an external monitor, using Windows 8 exclusively in the desktop mode. At first, the 125% enlarged resolution looked a bit weird, but I have gotten used to it now.

It boots up extremely quickly, is very snappy, and I run all my power applications (SQL server, Visual Studio, Office) on it without it breaking a sweat. It even works well with some games like Civ 5.

At night when I want to consume (instead of create) content, I just snap off the keyboard and use Windows 8 metro mode, and use it like an iPad. It's a bit bulkier but I don't find that ever bothers me. I find it less annoying than my Google Nexus 7 because I can use the kickstand to prop it on the bench if I am cooking or what have you.
My girlfriend is overseas at the moment visiting family, and she is constantly mucking around with her iPad to get it to sit properly when we Skype, whereas I have no such issues. I just sit it on the table with the kickstand and put my feet up.

The two niggles I have are the following:
1080p desktop mode is too small for me. It's not that usable without a second monitor. I have turned the resolution down a bit, but without a second monitor, it can be fiddly to use. Metro is fine to use no matter what resolution.
Multi-tasking in full metro is a bit annoying, however, Windows 8.1 *dramatically* improves this. And it's still way better than a lot of other tablets on the market in this regard.

Portability
Everyone who has read reviews of the Surface Pro knows about the battery life. When has this ever been a problem for me?
1. When I had a power outage and had no power for 14 hours.
2. Traveling in planes for long flights that do not have power supply available (getting less common).
3. Never.

As long as you charge it every night, and treat it like a laptop in this regard, you won't have problems.

I use the Type cover (which I find vastly superior to the touch cover) and it barely takes up any additional weight, and always gives me a keyboard to use (and a cover) all in one.

With a carry case it's pretty easy to carry around, and I don't find it bulky or gets in the way at all.

I visit a lot of clients, so I am constantly on the go. It will last me all day using it on and off, and sure beats carrying around a laptop.

The compromise?
Price.

If you want a cheap device that is great for content consumption, then stick with your iPad (not a fan of Android after using a Nexus 7). I'd even recommend the iPad over the Surface RT for this purpose.

But, if you want a device that is very close to no compromise, which turns heads at meetings, allows you to create content (documents, code, wireframes, sketches, etc) easily, while ALSO allowing you to consume content just like a tablet, then this is the device for you.

Disclaimer: I run a Software Development (mobile apps focus) & Digital Marketing company. I have a background in development and coding, and I have a wide range of devices from all ecosystems for business purposes. I used a lot of Apple products over the years, and flirted with Android for a short period of time.

Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ha you got that C IV. I haven had the time to settle some time for some nice gaming. Oh, 6 months! This project is almost done!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I really want a Surface Pro, watched TONS of video reviews and demos. The major thing holding me back is the price, i know its completely worth the cost but i cant justify spending a $1000 on a laptop. For myself i dont use my desktop at home, i dont have a personal laptop but do have one for work. The only time i use my desktop is when recording/mixing music...and i've always wanted a simple alternative to a laptop without a keyboard. When i saw people online using the Surface Pro to edit/mix music with touchscreen technology i was floored...completely revamps the experience and simplicity...needless to say im very jealous of those people lol. Ya, its tough for me to consider spending so much on such a device but looks totally worth it. Every time i go into Best Buy i goof around with the demo and drool...*sigh*. My Nexus 7 has nothing on it...just a useless web browsing toy, which my phone is more portable and works better.

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Check Craigslist... I just got a 128gb pro w/keyboard new for $750. I saw several more from $700-850 new. The person won it in a drawing, good luck!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I really want a Surface Pro, watched TONS of video reviews and demos..

I am in the same exact boat as you (except for the music mixing). I just can't pull the trigger on the price. The later in the year it gets the less likely I am to buying one because I predict the Pro 2 is coming out for Christmas. Once the price drops on the current Pro I might get one though (it'll have to be a greater drop then the $150 the RT had though).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same exact boat as you (except for the music mixing). I just can't pull the trigger on the price. The later in the year it gets the less likely I am to buying one because I predict the Pro 2 is coming out for Christmas. Once the price drops on the current Pro I might get one though (it'll have to be a greater drop then the $150 the RT had though).

With ya on the price....i need a bigger drop to push me over the fence. With our luck MS will discontinue Pro1 at the time they can sell them for half the price.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
The price was easy for me. I've been in the Apple cult for the last few years and have recently been de-programmed, lol. I sold my MacBook Air and bought a Surface RT for work and a Surface Pro for home. Got the 128GB model and found the price was less than the cheapest MacBook Air. If you are used to Apple, the Surface is very reasonably priced!

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
With ya on the price....i need a bigger drop to push me over the fence. With our luck MS will discontinue Pro1 at the time they can sell them for half the price.

Might see a price drop in the next 3 months on the Pro. It seems obvious that the price drop for the RT was a reaction to the 900m loss, but perhaps the drop was already in the cards, and that would put the Pro in the same window since release was about 3 months behind the RT. Unlikely, but still a possibility to consider.

There was a feature in the June issue of Maximum PC that highlights a bunch of uses and professions and gives the Surface Pro a pass or fail. On page 48 they said music mixing/creation software was too dense on the Surface Pro display, Cakewalk Sonar X-2 and FL Studio were the exact software mentioned. They said that if you did decide to use the Surface Pro for this purpose, a mouse and secondary display is almost necessary because using the stylus was hard on the wrist and eyes in these programs. They also said that the 4GB of RAM could be a hindrance if working with many samples at once. It was the only fail that they gave, so thought you might want to be aware of it.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Might see a price drop in the next 3 months on the Pro. It seems obvious that the price drop for the RT was a reaction to the 900m loss, but perhaps the drop was already in the cards, and that would put the Pro in the same window since release was about 3 months behind the RT. Unlikely, but still a possibility to consider.

There was a feature in the June issue of Maximum PC that highlights a bunch of uses and professions and gives the Surface Pro a pass or fail. On page 48 they said music mixing/creation software was too dense on the Surface Pro display, Cakewalk Sonar X-2 and FL Studio were the exact software mentioned. They said that if you did decide to use the Surface Pro for this purpose, a mouse and secondary display is almost necessary because using the stylus was hard on the wrist and eyes in these programs. They also said that the 4GB of RAM could be a hindrance if working with many samples at once. It was the only fail that they gave, so thought you might want to be aware of it.

I really appreciate the feedback, specifically on the Pro being used for music software/integration details from Max PC. I dont digitally create music, everything is recorded analog and edited on a PC using mouse/keyboard...and most of that process is click/apply/zoom which i cant envision being very hard on the wrist. Now, if i did digitally make music using software than i could see the problem...but for my situation it seems slightly different. In any case, thanks so much for the insight ill try to find the article. Im in no rush to buy one at the current price...so ill be waiting for a price drop.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If you want a cheap device that is great for content consumption, then stick with your iPad (not a fan of Android after using a Nexus 7). I'd even recommend the iPad over the Surface RT for this purpose.

I'd like to digress for a second...what were your impressions of the Nexus 7? A lot of people describe Android as "messy or dirty." I used to be all Android for my devices and recently went all Windows ecosystem. I own a Surface Pro but wanted a longer battery in a tablet to consume from. Picked up a next Gen Nexus 7 and while it is a fantastic device to read from, the Android OS just feels so, well, "messy." Thought about returning it for an Iconia W3 but it's screen really is lackluster (although not as bad as people make it out to be.) Heck, a Surface RT for consumption as even crossed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos