Surface Pro price drop

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It will once the Holidays near and Microsoft realizes they are still overstocked. By January they'll sell for $500.

LoL. I don't think so. At least not due to overstock.

It's a full flown ultrabook.

Like other computes, its price will come down gradually as newer models come out.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
As another heads up, I called the Microsoft store and they will honor the new price if you bought one within the last 30 days. Just bring in your receipt.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would expect any remaining 1st generation Surface Pro tablets to drop in price once new tablets/ultrabooks with Haswell processors are released.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I took advantage of the price drop and picked one up yesterday. It is an incredible device. M$ did an excellent job on their first outing. :smile:
Surface Pro.jpg

I'm glad I got it even with rumors of the next gen coming out in a few months. If that does happen I'll just sell this one and upgrade. So far I am very impressed. It is every bit and more of what I was expected. Given that it was only $300 more than my 16Gb 4th Gen consumption-only iPad, this was worth it IMO.

Two things that really gripe me though:
  • As much as we all have heard about lack of available space out of the box, it's still hard to get over only having 24Gb available on my 64 Gb Pro. Rediculous. I'll have to clean out the other partition.
  • Not lack of apps, but fully-baked quality apps. Very few have higher than a 3.5 star rating. But at least improvements will come.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Is it really worth it, compared to something like this, which for half the price includes the keyboard, has a 15" screen and 8 times the storage, and still runs Win 8 and has touch screen?

Last edited:

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Is it really worth it, compared to something like this, which for half the price includes the keyboard, has a 15" screen and 8 times the storage, and still runs Win 8 and has touch screen?
In my opinion, yes, because I want a tablet when I want/need a tablet and I want a laptop when I want/need a laptop. I wanted a 2-in-1 device to take over my other machines. The Surface Pro accomplishes 100% of that.

I agree that if you just need/want a laptop, go for something like you listed. If I wanted a laptop only, I would have picked up the Samsung whatever-it-was I saw yesterday. That thing was gorgeous and fantastic specs to boot.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope they keep these price points for the new surface pro. I would buy it. At the old price point it targeted such a small niche!! For me (no flaming please) at the old price point it felt like a huge compromise. As a tablet, it has horrible battery life, extremely heavy, and a beta-like app store. As a laptop,well.... More expensive than the closest matched MBA. Assume 128gb and a type keyboard.
As an example, I have subscribed to many magazines. On the iPad and iPhone, great and stress free to download and read. The same with android tablets and phone. On win8.... It felt more like reading a PDF....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, yes, because I want a tablet when I want/need a tablet and I want a laptop when I want/need a laptop. I wanted a 2-in-1 device to take over my other machines. The Surface Pro accomplishes 100% of that.

When would the tablet be better than the laptop? And what do you mean by "2-in-1"? What 2 machines?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When would the tablet be better than the laptop? And what do you mean by "2-in-1"? What 2 machines?
A tablet is only better than a laptop for portability and ease of convenience....when you appreciate the space savings and lack of bulk, just like browsing on your phone, but it's a larger screen with higher tech specs and features. I say 2-in-1 because when you need to be productive I can slap a keyboard on it and go. Viola, you have a laptop. But wait, there's more! The beauty of the Surface is that it can not only be a laptop but it can desktop too! It has a high-definition A/V out, so you can connect it to a larger monitor. Then if you want to grab it and take it to the couch to browse around while watching TV, or on the move, or on a plane, you can do so without the keyboard and it's convenient, like an e-reader. With the Surface though you have the size and portability of a tablet, WITH the keyboard. The type and touch keyboards are just a couple millimeters thick. It's a cover with a keyboard that takes up virtually no more space when folded. Very slick and convenient.

Some people do just fine with a laptop, and maybe you one of those people. A tablet is a luxury product, like a boat. A nicety. I myself would not have purchased the Surface unless it could have also replaced my aging laptop, which it has because its internals are a full computer, but it's in a tablet form. 2-in-1.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thought about it.. but then figured that I would burn that $100 in getting Office365 onto it, so the price drop is basically a wash for me

SurfaceRT+remote desktop, is getting my by for the most part - 8.1 jailbreak and Cisco Anyconnect and I'll be set with RT :)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I hope they keep these price points for the new surface pro. I would buy it. At the old price point it targeted such a small niche!! For me (no flaming please) at the old price point it felt like a huge compromise. As a tablet, it has horrible battery life, extremely heavy, and a beta-like app store. As a laptop,well.... More expensive than the closest matched MBA. Assume 128gb and a type keyboard.
As an example, I have subscribed to many magazines. On the iPad and iPhone, great and stress free to download and read. The same with android tablets and phone. On win8.... It felt more like reading a PDF....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

being about to run all legacy apps is a beta like store? Give me a break.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
A tablet is only better than a laptop for portability and ease of convenience....when you appreciate the space savings and lack of bulk, just like browsing on your phone, but it's a larger screen with higher tech specs and features. I say 2-in-1 because when you need to be productive I can slap a keyboard on it and go. Viola, you have a laptop. But wait, there's more! The beauty of the Surface is that it can not only be a laptop but it can desktop too! It has a high-definition A/V out, so you can connect it to a larger monitor. Then if you want to grab it and take it to the couch to browse around while watching TV, or on the move, or on a plane, you can do so without the keyboard and it's convenient, like an e-reader. With the Surface though you have the size and portability of a tablet, WITH the keyboard. The type and touch keyboards are just a couple millimeters thick. It's a cover with a keyboard that takes up virtually no more space when folded. Very slick and convenient.

Some people do just fine with a laptop, and maybe you one of those people. A tablet is a luxury product, like a boat. A nicety. I myself would not have purchased the Surface unless it could have also replaced my aging laptop, which it has because its internals are a full computer, but it's in a tablet form. 2-in-1.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm a bit of a gadget curmudgeon, always behind the curve. For my work computer I have a laptop that plugs into a docking station; at home I still have a desktop and until a month or so ago, I had a dumb phone. I now have a Windows Phone, and thinking about what I will eventually replace my home desktop with. A tablet is kind of sexy, but I'm not sure I want to go all the way (versus going with a laptop), so I'm trying to understand what the significant differences are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire