Pro Owners - Do You Still Want A Second Tablet?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
My workplace purchased a Surface Pro for me and I like it a lot. I had a Surface RT but found the pro more useful so sold it.

The PRO is an amazing machine. However, I'm always reminded that I need to try to keep it charged as much as possible. The battery can quickly get away from you, especially if you are ready to relax with it in tablet mode.

I've been looking at perhaps another tablet with better battery life for my reading/consumption needs and my Pro will be my "ultrabook."

I looked at the Acer Iconia W3 in person. The screen wasn't as bad as I heard but the dotty/pixel look concerned me. I decided to give the Nexus 7 a try. Very good device, speedy, easy to read from and tons of batter life. Yet it is Android and I can see why I left it last October (when Surface RT came out and Windows Phone 8 a few weeks later.) As I commented in another post, I'd rather stay in this new, growing yet uncertain ecosystem. Having the Nexus 7 now and a free Chromecast on it's way, it has been tempting to stay with it to add another media streaming option to my collection (XBOX is my primary streaming device.) I've even been thinking of taking the Nexus 7 back and getting an RT just for consumption.

I say all that to see if there are other Happy Surface Pro owners who want a second tablet for better "consumption" battery life if you already have a second tablet.

Thanks...

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the same concerns. As long as I'm close to a power brick (I have one for the office in addition to one at home), my Pro sits on the charge just in case I find myself at a coffee shop or place of business with out one. I'm actually waiting on Microsoft to release their accessories. There's pretty strong speculation about an extended battery. If I'm not satisfied with this route, I may just look into getting an 8-in (or smaller) mini tablet for those moments where all I'm doing is media consumption.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not really. The Pro satisfies almost all my needs. In regards to improvements as a tablet? I wish it was lighter and better/more apps. But overall, I am very happy. I haven't been on my iPad in days.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the Surface RT since December last year, along with a Nokia Lumia 920.

Just like you, after getting the Pro back on April 2013. I hardly use the RT anymore, although the battery life of that is a rock solid 8 hours.
But don't get me wrong, the RT isn't a bad device at all. It been my everyday driver before I get the Pro. Sometimes I just feel way too overloaded with devices, having too many certainly is annoying.
The problem is simply the fact that the Pro does so much more for me.

I would say, my 'third' tablet is in fact an iPad mini. Sometimes for the convenience of catching up a show/drama while on the run, that is certainly a better device with build in 3G/4G capabilities and smaller form factor.
If Microsoft does offer something like that, I'll be glad to dump it :)

--
If you are wondering what's on my table so far :winktongue:

-1x Surface RT/Pro
-1x Nokia Lumia 800, 900, 520, 920, 925, 1020
-HTC Trophy 7
-iPad Mini
-Samsung Ativ PC (Atom tablet, with stylus)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have the Surface RT since December last year, along with a Nokia Lumia 920.

Just like you, after getting the Pro back on April 2013. I hardly use the RT anymore, although the battery life of that is a rock solid 8 hours.
But don't get me wrong, the RT isn't a bad device at all. It been my everyday driver before I get the Pro. Sometimes I just feel way too overloaded with devices, having too many certainly is annoying.
The problem is simply the fact that the Pro does so much more for me.

I would say, my 'third' tablet is in fact an iPad mini. Sometimes for the convenience of catching up a show/drama while on the run, that is certainly a better device with build in 3G/4G capabilities and smaller form factor.
If Microsoft does offer something like that, I'll be glad to dump it :)

--
If you are wondering what's on my table so far :winktongue:

-1x Surface RT/Pro
-1x Nokia Lumia 800, 900, 520, 920, 925, 1020
-HTC Trophy 7
-iPad Mini
-Samsung Ativ PC (Atom tablet, with stylus)

Yeah, see, perhaps I only "tricked" myself to believe I needed a smaller tablet. Between my Lumia and Surface Pro, I should be satisfied, right? I tried the Nexus 7 for a few days and it was speedy and had a great screen but I really felt "messy" being on Android again. And I just can't take a chance on the Iconia W3 at this point in time. Guess I'll be patient for the Surface Mini.

I am like you too, too many gadgets can get annoying. Sadly, I think I am about to reture my ZuneHD too. Even though XBOX Music is a mess and syncing to my phone isn't as ideal as the Zune Software was, I simply need to get down to fewer devices. If XBOX Music let me manage my cloud music better and if it streamed better on the phone, I'd be pretty happy (1000 song limit on streaming playlists...yuck.)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I use both Pro and RT at the same time, the Pro for productivity and RT for fun/consumption/casual usage, and yes, I recommend having 2 tablets. Of course, I would prefer an 7-8 inch device to supplement my Pro as opposed to the current RT, but the Iconia W3 didn't impress me. We'll see if/when a mini Surface is pushed to market.

I hope Microsoft (or at least Nokia) equip the 7-8 inch Surface with Qi and LTE (or at least HSPA+), those are key hardware additions to making that device a great commuter tool with lots of versatility. An 8-inch Surface is a "pick up and go" concept, and such concepts deserve wireless charging!

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I actually do own two tablets, one is my Surface Pro which I keep mostly at home. I also have the Acer W3 which I carry with me because of the small form factor. I only take the W3 to work because I watch movies or shows during my lunch hour.

I don't take my Pro to work because you'll never know what shady people will want to help themselves to your items. I rather lose the W3 than my Pro.

Last edited:

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I actually do own three tablets, one is my Surface Pro which I keep mostly at home. I also have the Acer W3 which I carry with me because of the small form factor. I only take the W3 to work because I watch movies or shows during my lunch hour.

I don't take my Pro to work because you'll never know what shady people will want to help themselves to your items. I rather lose the W3 than my Pro.

16955e373795882014766a3ab5c6ac48_width_600x.jpg

kim-jong-un-cake.jpg

Toast95135

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Since I bought my Surface Pro I hardly ever use my Nexus 7 anymore, it's pretty much stuck car commute podcast duty. The only time I use the N7 as a main device is if I'm going somewhere by motorcycle. If I crash I don't want to break my $1300 device too :winktongue:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I use my Samsung Note2 as my second tablet. I'll be upgrading soon to the Note3.

Not saying this as a "fan boy" but hard for me to have a mixed ecosystem anymore, despite the fact I can load a Droid tablet with much of the same Windows Ecosystem apps.

Res215dg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I own 3 tablets in total- 2 of which I carry in the bag every day and 1 stays in my car 24-7

I have my Surface Pro for work/school/RDP/Everything I need to do
I have my Nook HD+ which I use for reading and multimedia apps
I have a Pantech Element Android 8" tablet I keep in my car glove compartment for work emergencies when it's the only thing available

Honestly if your primary need is going to be read/multimedia I would go with a Nook HD+ - amazing 9" screen, great battery life, and they are running for $120 these days!

doc109

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I do a lot of newspaper and magazine reading. The website for my local paper is an atrocity but the paper has a nice Android app which greatly improves readability and load times. Magazines are great on the Surface Pro but sometimes I just want to hold something in one hand or keep in my pocket... For these uses and e-reading, I love a 7'' tablet. I have a Kindle Fire (non-HD) but the screen glare and mediocre screen resolution are moving me toward upgrading to a Nook HD (if I want to go cheap) or new Nexus 7 (if I want to splurge). One side effect of the Surface Pro has been reduced tolerance for low-res screens! Now I can see what I've been missing all these years.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I do a lot of newspaper and magazine reading. The website for my local paper is an atrocity but the paper has a nice Android app which greatly improves readability and load times. Magazines are great on the Surface Pro but sometimes I just want to hold something in one hand or keep in my pocket... For these uses and e-reading, I love a 7'' tablet. I have a Kindle Fire (non-HD) but the screen glare and mediocre screen resolution are moving me toward upgrading to a Nook HD (if I want to go cheap) or new Nexus 7 (if I want to splurge). One side effect of the Surface Pro has been reduced tolerance for low-res screens! Now I can see what I've been missing all these years.

I did a trial run of the Nexus 7 and it has some glare issues as well. As messy as Android is I have to give credit to how beautiful chrome looks on the Nexus 7 for reading, the wonderful Feedly apps and yes, Flipboard. :)

Trying to be patient in the next few weeks to see what Nokia and Microsoft announce about 7" tablets.

doc109

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that the new Nexus 7 has glare problems. I've tried to take the Nexus 7 for a quick spin at 3 stores. The demo unit did not work at 2 of the 3, so I took that as a possible bad sign. The glare reduction coating on the Nook HD is pretty nice (though it makes the screen feel really weird and it a fingerprint magnet) so I may take that route given that its main function is media consumption. Too bad it looks like a 5-year-old's toy with the hideous plastic bezel. :unhappy: My spouse has the Nook HD+ and that screen is just plain amazing. For $149, it is the best bargain out there for a midsize media consumption tablet, though it has its own quirks.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've got an ipad mini as my 'small' tablet. Perfect for taking anywhere, reading ebooks, media consumption, and quick and dirty communications.

My Surface Pro is used more like a combination netbook and main computer. On the go I have a type cover, at my desk I dock through a USB3 dock to have additional hard drive space, HDMI to a large monitor, plus keyboard and mouse. This setup works great for me.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've got an ipad mini as my 'small' tablet. Perfect for taking anywhere, reading ebooks, media consumption, and quick and dirty communications.

My Surface Pro is used more like a combination netbook and main computer. On the go I have a type cover, at my desk I dock through a USB3 dock to have additional hard drive space, HDMI to a large monitor, plus keyboard and mouse. This setup works great for me.

I relented and got another Nexus 7. I simply need a 7" tablet...it is a sweet spot. My Surface Pro, while awesome, is basically my laptop. Waiting on an 7-8" windows tablet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb