Pro Owners - Do You Still Want A Second Tablet?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a kindle purely for reading. No fancy games or video playback, just good 'ol black-and-white with month-long battery life. I tried reading kindle on other platforms, but it's just too dang distracting.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I've got a ThinkPad Tablet 2 coming as my "mini" (in weight and thinness only) - I would kill for an iPad Mini duplicate with Windows 8.1 - I love the 4:3 design because it is perfect for "book-like" reading. If they add Wacom goodness to that exact form factor, I'd be in heaven (and go back to a hot rod powered laptop - at least 15" - for main duty). I tried the Galaxy Note 8, and although close, the absence of OneNote and Outlook is a non-starter for this note taking addict. Come on Microsoft, make us a Surface Mini with Bay Trail goodness, 128gb SSD, and Wacom, and you will OWN THE MARKET!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I've got a ThinkPad Tablet 2 coming as my "mini" (in weight and thinness only) - I would kill for an iPad Mini duplicate with Windows 8.1 - I love the 4:3 design because it is perfect for "book-like" reading. If they add Wacom goodness to that exact form factor, I'd be in heaven (and go back to a hot rod powered laptop - at least 15" - for main duty). I tried the Galaxy Note 8, and although close, the absence of OneNote and Outlook is a non-starter for this note taking addict. Come on Microsoft, make us a Surface Mini with Bay Trail goodness, 128gb SSD, and Wacom, and you will OWN THE MARKET!

I hear ya. I'd sell this Nexus 7 in an instant for something like that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro, and I use an iPad Mini as a second/consumption tablet. I love the size. I really wish there was a high-end 7-8" W8 tablet on the horizon. I'll be looking closely at the Nokia RT tablet, even though it's 10", but unless the app situation picks up, I'll stick with the Mini. Besides, I'd be a hypocrite if I was critical of the competition without experiencing it ;-)

To be perfectly honest, if the Nokia 6" phone has high end specs, I might give that a shot as a consumption tablet. Of course, I'm expecting the off-contract price to be much higher than a small tablet, so it will have to be perfect. The hold up would probably be an HBOGO app.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro, and I use an iPad Mini as a second/consumption tablet. I love the size. I really wish there was a high-end 7-8" W8 tablet on the horizon. I'll be looking closely at the Nokia RT tablet, even though it's 10", but unless the app situation picks up, I'll stick with the Mini. Besides, I'd be a hypocrite if I was critical of the competition without experiencing it ;-)

To be perfectly honest, if the Nokia 6" phone has high end specs, I might give that a shot as a consumption tablet. Of course, I'm expecting the off-contract price to be much higher than a small tablet, so it will have to be perfect. The hold up would probably be an HBOGO app.

I like my Nexus 7 but the ****** inside of me feels like a traitor. Ha. It is a great consumption device and wish we had a Microsoft Ecosystem equal. I love reading from it but it may be more of a distraction than a tool.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I like my Nexus 7 but the ****** inside of me feels like a traitor. Ha. It is a great consumption device and wish we had a Microsoft Ecosystem equal. I love reading from it but it may be more of a distraction than a tool.
That was my experience exactly. Love the form factor and a great reading device, but not a good adjunct to my Surface Pro. The ThinkPad Tablet 2 turned out to be a disappointment as well. Thin and light, like an iPad 4, but not Mini-licious (8" and sub 1 pound); worse, Clover Trail Atom is still a dog if you have ever experienced the Surface pro or either iPad. Laggy; prone to intermittent freezing; pausing; jumpy scrolling; halting zooming; just not a smooth and fluid experience. Loved that Wacom and built in stylus, but just not a good companion either.

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm never away from power long enough to make me want anything other than the Surface Pro. Sure, different screen sizes are nice for different purposes but between my Lumia 1020 and the Surface Pro I can accomplish whatever tasks I need to accomplish and there's no need for any more stuff to carry and keep track of.

dstrauss

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm never away from power long enough to make me want anything other than the Surface Pro. Sure, different screen sizes are nice for different purposes but between my Lumia 1020 and the Surface Pro I can accomplish whatever tasks I need to accomplish and there's no need for any more stuff to carry and keep track of.

My wife is trying a 1020 as well, which I may inherit if it is too much of a change from her beloved iPhone 5 - so far, though, the picture taking alone is a killer for Nokia - I can't begin to describe how good the pictures are even in full automatic mode.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nook HD that I use for reading pdfs and books. I can also use the moga pro for playing emulation games and typing notes in one note. With the higher resolution than most other 7" screens and the reduced price it is perfect.

StarLog

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
My work purchased a RT for me, and I have made good use of it in the Network Admin arena.
I have a Pro at home, and really like the usefullness of the legacy programs that a network admin would need, the RT lacks in a sniffer.

I am content with the terminal (RDP) app that is available free.
I was able to get the Dir. of BD a Pro, and she loves it.

Now to get my peers a Pro, and me also.

duncanjameshill

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a nexus 7 as my 'take out' tablet, but I'm starting to use it less and less, as Android, for me, just doesn't cut it. I keep 'swiping back' in Chrome and nothing happens! 'Back' buttons are soooo yesterday. A 7-8" W8 tablet and I'm there.
How does a RT compare weightwise with the Pro? Is it usable in one hand? I'm thinking of selling the N7 and picking up a RT.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I cant express how much i dont care for my Nexus 7...its a cute toy and thats all. Its weird, being a gamer you'd think i'd play tons of games on it....but no. Its cool to surf web and read email, i do this on my phone as it is. In my case, i think tablets are absolutely useless since i;ve got a smartphone. And no i didnt buy it, got it as a gift. But hey, thats me.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I cant express how much i dont care for my Nexus 7...its a cute toy and thats all. Its weird, being a gamer you'd think i'd play tons of games on it....but no. Its cool to surf web and read email, i do this on my phone as it is. In my case, i think tablets are absolutely useless since i;ve got a smartphone. And no i didnt buy it, got it as a gift. But hey, thats me.

I liked the speed and look of the Nexus 7 but I am so done with Android. Just feels so messy. My work place had me purchase another Surface Pro for a staff member, so we ordered a 256GB and I got to keep that one and pass the 128 down to the staff member. I am LOVING the extra storage. And since my original reason for posting this thread, I've gotten used to the battery life and am loving the Surface Pro more and more. I hope this new "blade" concept takes off... :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a iPad (third generation) and it is a great device but my wife uses mostly.

If I get another tablet if you call a Pro a tablet, then it would most likely be either an iPAD mini or a Surface 2. I would get the ipad mini for the ecosystem. Plus I can put all the apps from the Microsoft ecosystem onto a ipad. But that of course is when I have a lot of money to kill. In 2011-2012, I bought an iMAC, Ipad, Titan 2, Lumia 920 (full price) and a surface pro 128gig with the warranty package.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro