IE 11 youtube issues on my Surface Pro

anon(5473600)

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues in internet explorer with embedded youtube videos on sites like gawker and kotaku? the sound plays, but if I don't go into fullscreen mode, I don't get any video, just a black screen. Also, sometimes the advertisements will play for half a second then freeze the browser. Has anyone else had these issues?

anon(5473600)

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I never had these issues until a few updates into windows 8.1 I think. Before they would play fine. I've tried resetting IE, I've even formatted and reinstalled (for other reasons) and the issue has not resolved. I also can't seem to find any information on this issue online, leading me to believe I'm one of a small few having this issue, which, well, sucks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser? I don't have a Surface Pro, but I'm running Windows 8.1 on my Asus Vivobook. I don't really use IE much. I use Firefox and have no issues with YouTube.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a different browser? I don't have a Surface Pro, but I'm running Windows 8.1 on my Asus Vivobook. I don't really use IE much. I use Firefox and have no issues with YouTube.

I haven't tried it on a different browser the only change I can think of was patch Tuesday but I went though the updates and non of them effected ie11 :/

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used IE since patch Tuesday.

it could be that since an update that msft did on Tuesday and now its coming to effect ie11 users but im no sure if it could be it because I didn't take effect for me until yesterday or it could be google messing with ie11...but it is annoying in a way that it lags and hangs and stops responding but every other website I go to like Pandora,ebay, bing whatever website it works

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
it could be that since an update that msft did on Tuesday and now its coming to effect ie11 users but im no sure if it could be it because I didn't take effect for me until yesterday or it could be google messing with ie11...but it is annoying in a way that it lags and hangs and stops responding but every other website I go to like Pandora,ebay, bing whatever website it works
I probably don't notice, since I rarely use IE. I use FIrefox ~95% of the time.

RushilPa

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here folks, YouTube freezes on IE11 on 8.1. I can't even comment on videos, neither can I like comments. Probably because its not properly synchronized with Google+. Oh wait, it wont let me sync either.... :(

anon(5473600)

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for posting those links sahib, I tied switching the graphics option in advanced settings (the very first option under advanced settings) and that seems to have done the trick so far, haven't seen an advertisement yet, so we'll see what happens then.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting those links sahib, I tied switching the graphics option in advanced settings (the very first option under advanced settings) and that seems to have done the trick so far, haven't seen an advertisement yet, so we'll see what happens then.
ill try that right now nope it still hangs and freezes :straight:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99