05-03-2014 10:02 AM
66 123
tools
    I am a more advanced used IMO so I think the pro would be best for me....still tossing around the idea as it is a fair amount of cash to drop...although touch functionality would be a really nice asset. I am wondering how much I would miss an optical drive...
    I am going to Europe for a month in May so having the portability and compactness of a tablet PC would be nice.
    Just thinking aloud here haha.
    How is the transition to a smaller screen? Is the screen ok for eye strain when using for long periods?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 via Tapatalk
    03-24-2014 12:04 AM
    Well I would probably want to just replace my existing laptop with the surface so I would just get the Pro most likely and be done with it. How feasible is it to think of it as a laptop replacement? Right now my laptop does all my music, movies, etc. Would it be worth it to transfer the files to the surface pro to make it my "one" device to use?
    I don't like how it only has one USB port, but a USB hub would solve that probably

I can't comment on the original Surface Pro, but my Surface Pro 2 (128GB) has more than easily replaced my old Windows 7 laptop. It's a powerful little device and really gets the job done. I use a USB hub to take care of the one USB port issue. Otherwise, it's great. The screen seemed small at first, but I got used to it. If necessary, you can easily buy an external monitor and connect it that way.

My Surface is an awesome and powerful little machine. Until something else truly amazing comes along, I will be staying within the Surface family for all my computing needs.
    03-26-2014 08:16 PM
    Thanks for the input Swim! It seems like the Canadian Microsoft store is now sold out of the 128gb surface pro so I will keep my eyes open for another deal. I guess I should have jumped on it when I could have

03-26-2014 08:53 PM
    I am thinking of picking up one of these refurbished Surface pro 1 from MS. Realistically how is the battery life? If I am taking a 2 hour flight soon and wanted to load a movie on it to watch, should it be fine?
    Last edited by reversalagent; 03-27-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    zukirin likes this.
    03-27-2014 09:42 AM
    I am actually thinking of the same thing as reversa. In addition to that, i am debating between 64 and 128 ones because i don't plan on making it my go to 'laptop' its more of an extra laptop that is more portable than my current one that is able to watch movies from my hard drive, some gimp.
    03-27-2014 10:19 AM
    I am thinking of picking up one of these refurbished Surface pro 1 from MS. Realistically how is the battery life? If I am taking a 2 hour flight soon and wanted to load a movie on it to watch, should it be fine?

All the reviews I have seen quote a battery life of around 4-5 hours so I think you will be fine on a 2 hour flight.
    On another note, I checked back to the Microsoft store last night and they suddenly had more of the 128GB surface pros so I ordered one up with a touch cover for $555 shipped to my door...not a bad deal in my opinion! For those of you who have the touch covers for the surface, how is typing on it? I am a big note taker and email writer so I am wondering how the touch cover is for long-winded typing?
    Thanks

Jack Janik likes this.
    03-27-2014 07:13 PM
    ..have the touch covers for the surface, how is typing on it? I am a big note taker and email writer so I am wondering how the touch cover is for long-winded typing?
    I have it for my Surface RT. Well, it's much better than an onscreen keyboard, but you would never mistake it for a "real" keyboard.. Maybe you'll have a better experience, but I have a separate keyboard for whenever I'm going to be stationary for awhile..
    Nokia1020 likes this.
    03-27-2014 07:20 PM
    Ya I do have a Bluetooth keyboard laying around that I could use. I wish Microsoft would have offered the same deal on the type keyboard instead of just the touch ($40 off) but alas I will see how this keyboard does.

03-27-2014 09:42 PM
    Still 499 in Canada at the Microsoft store. Just picked one up! On my way home to see if it will fit my needs. Such a cool piece of hardware....couldn't resist!
    If I keep it (and I probably will) I'll just have to decide between the type cover or just a Bluetooth keyboard....not sure I'll really need a keyboard when I'm out and about so a bt keyboard to keep at home might be the better option.
    04-01-2014 04:59 PM
    3 virtual machines, 2 split screens, 2 desktops, 2 ModernUI apps.

Definitely worth it.
    xandros9 likes this.
    04-02-2014 09:05 PM
    3 virtual machines, 2 split screens, 2 desktops, 2 ModernUI apps.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/4a8e5eba.jpg

Definitely worth it.
    Daaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    04-10-2014 06:19 AM
    The Surface Pro at $599 or cheaper is a great deal. I would jump on it if I didn't already have one. I will most likely have this computer for 3-4 years as I have always done in the past.

I use the Pen on a daily basis. I high recommend this computer for the board room or the class room. I use it both for my schooling at Western Governors University and at my job as a General Manager of a restaurant. Such a great tool for meetings with one note and taking notes for school.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!
    I just purchased one last week. I absolutely love windows now, I use to despise them. This is my second windows 8 tablet, my first was a Lenovo mix 2 8. Which was nice and light, but I constantly run out of memory and the display being only 720p was a bummer. The surface pro is a beast, and has definitely replaced all my computer needs.

Now to the TMOBILE comment, I totally agree with the comment. If only tmobile would get the Nokia 1520 or something equivalent to it. I currently have the lg g flex which is great, but I've grown to really enjoying Microsoft. And would love a windows phone from tmobile that's worth while.
    04-27-2014 09:48 PM
    Now to the TMOBILE comment, I totally agree with the comment. If only tmobile would get the Nokia 1520 or something equivalent to it. I currently have the lg g flex which is great, but I've grown to really enjoying Microsoft. And would love a windows phone from tmobile that's worth while.
    not only does tmobile need a Windows RT/8.1 tablet, but they also need more windows phones. I just used "Jump!" to switch from an LG G2 to an iPhone 5s. Such a tiny screen...lol, everything else on the phone is better and works much better with the Microsoft Ecosystem.
    04-27-2014 09:55 PM
    FYI, I believe Best Buy has the 128GB new for $599 still. I got it on sale for $500 at the end of January there, and it was well worth it to me.
    rdubmu likes this.
    04-30-2014 06:54 PM
    FYI, I believe Best Buy has the 128GB new for $599 still. I got it on sale for $500 at the end of January there, and it was well worth it to me.
    With a $100 student* discount promo for Surface Pro. Just bought mine last week. :)

*Well... a grad student counts. Lol. Anyone with a *.edu email can claim the discount online and then print the coupon to bring to the local store (or use the code online).
    05-01-2014 04:54 AM
    With a $100 student* discount promo for Surface Pro. Just bought mine last week. :)

*Well... a grad student counts. Lol. Anyone with a *.edu email can claim the discount online and then print the coupon to bring to the local store (or use the code online).
    Not even that in some cases. I'm in highschool, which technically isn't eligible, but I've received a Student Discount twice from my local MS Store. How the employees get away with giving all these discounts is beyond me, but appreciated nonetheless.
    05-03-2014 10:02 AM
66 123