Surface Pro $599....worth it?

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone find the 4gb ram limiting? What situations do you get memory shortages? Im not a gamer so I dont care about that.

I've been playing Diablo 3 on mine and only once did I have it warn me of low memory - and that was with Visual Studio 2013 running as well as a few other apps. Otherwise I've had no issues with it at all with the 4Gb of RAM.

Nokia1020

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I can get the surface pro 128gb model with a touch cover 2 for $555.55 all in on the Microsoft store with my student discount.... Should I go for it? Do I really NEED it? Lol thanks in advance...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 via Tapatalk

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I can get the surface pro 128gb model with a touch cover 2 for $555.55 all in on the Microsoft store with my student discount.... Should I go for it? Do I really NEED it? Lol thanks in advance...

As a student, for school needs? I would say no, get an RT. If you have to install any programs on your tablet (.exe files) for school, then you have to get a Pro as an RT will not install any programs, only apps from the Windows store.

Nokia1020

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I would probably want to just replace my existing laptop with the surface so I would just get the Pro most likely and be done with it. How feasible is it to think of it as a laptop replacement? Right now my laptop does all my music, movies, etc. Would it be worth it to transfer the files to the surface pro to make it my "one" device to use?
I don't like how it only has one USB port, but a USB hub would solve that probably

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
We replaced our ancient laptop with the Pro. I have it wirelessly hooked up to our TV and we're getting between 4-6 hours of battery life depending on usage (and six is really stretching it). If you can live with the small battery life, go for it. You'll have 30 days to try it out and you can always return it in that timeframe if it doesn't suit your needs. I would advise buying Microsoft Complete , but not until you're sure you're going to keep it. From what you've described as your usage so far, however, I would still recommend an RT device.

Sent from our Surface RT

Last edited:

Nokia1020

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I am a more advanced used IMO so I think the pro would be best for me....still tossing around the idea as it is a fair amount of cash to drop...although touch functionality would be a really nice asset. I am wondering how much I would miss an optical drive...
I am going to Europe for a month in May so having the portability and compactness of a tablet PC would be nice.
Just thinking aloud here haha.
How is the transition to a smaller screen? Is the screen ok for eye strain when using for long periods?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I would probably want to just replace my existing laptop with the surface so I would just get the Pro most likely and be done with it. How feasible is it to think of it as a laptop replacement? Right now my laptop does all my music, movies, etc. Would it be worth it to transfer the files to the surface pro to make it my "one" device to use?
I don't like how it only has one USB port, but a USB hub would solve that probably

I can't comment on the original Surface Pro, but my Surface Pro 2 (128GB) has more than easily replaced my old Windows 7 laptop. It's a powerful little device and really gets the job done. I use a USB hub to take care of the one USB port issue. Otherwise, it's great. The screen seemed small at first, but I got used to it. If necessary, you can easily buy an external monitor and connect it that way.

My Surface is an awesome and powerful little machine. Until something else truly amazing comes along, I will be staying within the Surface family for all my computing needs.

Nokia1020

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input Swim! It seems like the Canadian Microsoft store is now sold out of the 128gb surface pro so I will keep my eyes open for another deal. I guess I should have jumped on it when I could have

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of picking up one of these refurbished Surface pro 1 from MS. Realistically how is the battery life? If I am taking a 2 hour flight soon and wanted to load a movie on it to watch, should it be fine?

Last edited:

zukirin

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I am actually thinking of the same thing as reversa. In addition to that, i am debating between 64 and 128 ones because i don't plan on making it my go to 'laptop' its more of an extra laptop that is more portable than my current one that is able to watch movies from my hard drive, some gimp.

Nokia1020

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of picking up one of these refurbished Surface pro 1 from MS. Realistically how is the battery life? If I am taking a 2 hour flight soon and wanted to load a movie on it to watch, should it be fine?

All the reviews I have seen quote a battery life of around 4-5 hours so I think you will be fine on a 2 hour flight.
On another note, I checked back to the Microsoft store last night and they suddenly had more of the 128GB surface pros so I ordered one up with a touch cover for $555 shipped to my door...not a bad deal in my opinion! For those of you who have the touch covers for the surface, how is typing on it? I am a big note taker and email writer so I am wondering how the touch cover is for long-winded typing?
Thanks

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
..have the touch covers for the surface, how is typing on it? I am a big note taker and email writer so I am wondering how the touch cover is for long-winded typing?
I have it for my Surface RT. Well, it's much better than an onscreen keyboard, but you would never mistake it for a "real" keyboard.. Maybe you'll have a better experience, but I have a separate keyboard for whenever I'm going to be stationary for awhile..

Nokia1020

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Ya I do have a Bluetooth keyboard laying around that I could use. I wish Microsoft would have offered the same deal on the type keyboard instead of just the touch ($40 off) but alas I will see how this keyboard does.

anon(5349218)

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Still 499 in Canada at the Microsoft store. Just picked one up! On my way home to see if it will fit my needs. Such a cool piece of hardware....couldn't resist!
If I keep it (and I probably will) I'll just have to decide between the type cover or just a Bluetooth keyboard....not sure I'll really need a keyboard when I'm out and about so a bt keyboard to keep at home might be the better option.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
3 virtual machines, 2 split screens, 2 desktops, 2 ModernUI apps.

4a8e5eba.jpg

Definitely worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes