Backlight bleed

archanfel

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Just purchased a Surface Pro, lucky there's no dead pixel, but there does seem to have some backlight bleed. Are they normal?

Comparing to a iPad 1 (Surface on left, screens at 100%)
bleed1.jpg

Comparing to an iPad 1 and a HP touchpad (Surface on top left, screens at 100%)
bleed2.jpg

Comparing to a 13inch Mac Air (Surface on left, screens at 10% but shutter was slower thus brighter)
bleed3.jpg

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Just purchased a Surface Pro, lucky there's no dead pixel, but there does seem to have some backlight bleed. Are they normal?

Comparing to a iPad 1 (Surface on left, screens at 100%)
View attachment 58069

Comparing to an iPad 1 and a HP touchpad (Surface on top left, screens at 100%)
View attachment 58068

Comparing to a 13inch Mac Air (Surface on left, screens at 10% but shutter was slower thus brighter)
View attachment 58070

Unless it's clearly obvious when you're in word, or browsing the web (my friend had this issue with his Nexus 7 and got it replaced because you could see it on the backgrounds of websites) I wouldn't worry about it too much - all my displays have a little bit of backlight bleed, and to be fairly obvious you'd be winning the lottery if you got a near-perfect display; it all just depends on how strict the manufacturing standards for the panels are (and obviously if they rejected too many of them they would be making a loss). Overall, I wouldn't worry about it unless it bugs you

archanfel

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Unless it's clearly obvious when you're in word, or browsing the web (my friend had this issue with his Nexus 7 and got it replaced because you could see it on the backgrounds of websites) I wouldn't worry about it too much - all my displays have a little bit of backlight bleed, and to be fairly obvious you'd be winning the lottery if you got a near-perfect display; it all just depends on how strict the manufacturing standards for the panels are (and obviously if they rejected too many of them they would be making a loss). Overall, I wouldn't worry about it unless it bugs you

Thanks. But is this amount of bleed excessive or about average? I am wondering whether it's worth a trip back to Microsoft store for an exchange or the replacement is likely about the same.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. But is this amount of bleed excessive or about average? I am wondering whether it's worth a trip back to Microsoft store for an exchange or the replacement is likely about the same.

Personally it's up to you, I can't tell very well from the pictures but to me the backlight bleed looks similar to your other devices

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12