Just purchased a Surface Pro, lucky there's no dead pixel, but there does seem to have some backlight bleed. Are they normal?

Comparing to a iPad 1 (Surface on left, screens at 100%)
    bleed1.jpg

Comparing to an iPad 1 and a HP touchpad (Surface on top left, screens at 100%)
    bleed2.jpg

Comparing to a 13inch Mac Air (Surface on left, screens at 10% but shutter was slower thus brighter)
    bleed3.jpg
    02-25-2014 10:38 PM
    Just purchased a Surface Pro, lucky there's no dead pixel, but there does seem to have some backlight bleed. Are they normal?

Comparing to a iPad 1 (Surface on left, screens at 100%)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bleed1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	58069

Comparing to an iPad 1 and a HP touchpad (Surface on top left, screens at 100%)

Name:	bleed2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	58068

Comparing to a 13inch Mac Air (Surface on left, screens at 10% but shutter was slower thus brighter)

Name:	bleed3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	58070
    Unless it's clearly obvious when you're in word, or browsing the web (my friend had this issue with his Nexus 7 and got it replaced because you could see it on the backgrounds of websites) I wouldn't worry about it too much - all my displays have a little bit of backlight bleed, and to be fairly obvious you'd be winning the lottery if you got a near-perfect display; it all just depends on how strict the manufacturing standards for the panels are (and obviously if they rejected too many of them they would be making a loss). Overall, I wouldn't worry about it unless it bugs you
    02-25-2014 11:14 PM
    Unless it's clearly obvious when you're in word, or browsing the web (my friend had this issue with his Nexus 7 and got it replaced because you could see it on the backgrounds of websites) I wouldn't worry about it too much - all my displays have a little bit of backlight bleed, and to be fairly obvious you'd be winning the lottery if you got a near-perfect display; it all just depends on how strict the manufacturing standards for the panels are (and obviously if they rejected too many of them they would be making a loss). Overall, I wouldn't worry about it unless it bugs you
    Thanks. But is this amount of bleed excessive or about average? I am wondering whether it's worth a trip back to Microsoft store for an exchange or the replacement is likely about the same.
    02-27-2014 04:53 AM
    Thanks. But is this amount of bleed excessive or about average? I am wondering whether it's worth a trip back to Microsoft store for an exchange or the replacement is likely about the same.
    Personally it's up to you, I can't tell very well from the pictures but to me the backlight bleed looks similar to your other devices
    03-07-2014 10:34 PM