uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had this Pro for over a year now. Everything was great. Now, well, nope.

Okay, as you can see, there is rust on the chamfer on the left side of the Pro. I rarely expose this to humidity (only time I did was during school projects but the paint didn't peel off yet). I regularly undock it and use it as a tablet with both hands. This is actually worrying because I cannot send it in for repair as I live in the Philippines and it was purchased locally. Any ideas on how to fix it?WP_20140418_001.jpg

kcaneiro

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Wow, that is strange. I am not sure that I see the rust on the left side - are you talking about the corner? It looks like the paint came off and that you are showing the natural color under it. I could be wrong because I can't really tell so well from the photo... Can you post some additional pictures?

uzeroni

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
WP_20140418_09_29_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20140418_09_30_06_Pro.jpg
It's there, but the 920 can't really see it. You get the same rust smell when you hold it in tablet mode, and it's quite rough compared to the right side.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I assumed that being made of an alloy that it cannot rust, steel or tin will rust, not an alloy, if the metal is bare it will become oxidized but will not rust, so I don't know what your seeing but it ain't rust.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I assumed that being made of an alloy that it cannot rust, steel or tin will rust, not an alloy, if the metal is bare it will become oxidized but will not rust, so I don't know what your seeing but it ain't rust.

Could it be a manufacturing defect with a bezel somehow being made of bare metal? I'm not really sure how the production process of the metal on the Surface Pro would go, but it sems like that could be what happened, based on what jimkraz said.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magnesium is a strong metal that is light and silvery-white. Magnesium has the ability to tarnish,which is the ability to create an oxide layer around itself to prevent it from rusting. It also has the ability to react with water at room temperature. When exposed to water, bubbles form around the metal. Increasing the temperature speeds up this reaction. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But magnesium does not rust but it burns well if one remembers experiments done in science at school. ; ) Jim [/FONT]

NanungWK

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magnesium is a strong metal that is light and silvery-white. Magnesium has the ability to tarnish,which is the ability to create an oxide layer around itself to prevent it from rusting. It also has the ability to react with water at room temperature. When exposed to water, bubbles form around the metal. Increasing the temperature speeds up this reaction. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But magnesium does not rust but it burns well if one remembers experiments done in science at school. ; ) Jim [/FONT]

Hi, I have the same problem exactly what Jimkraz described. Yes it formed tiny bubbles on the edges on my Surface RT. Is there any way to rectify this, please? Will it get worse or can we just ignore it?

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss