Power Cover Worth every penny on Surface Pro 1

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you own a Surface Pro, I highly suggest you get the Power Cover. It is $199 and I am getting anywhere between 6.5horus and 8 hours on a full charge. So worth it. The keyboard is an improvement over the type cover 1 as it isn't as noisy. I am not a fan of the touch pad on the Power Cover and Type Cover 2. (no clicking)

When carrying the device in a bag you don't notice the added weight, as well as when it sits on a table.

How it works if you don't already know:

When using the device off of a charger.

The power cover drains first, than the device itself, even if the power cover doesn't have any power, the keyboard still works.

When you charge the device it will always charge the device first than the power cover. It takes about 2 hours to charge both of them.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the post, we've been looking for real world information like this. What are you doing with your Pro when you say you get 6.5hrs out of it? We currently get in and around 4hrs with ours, however, when I put it through the Netgear 3000, I'm lucky if I can watch two movies.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am getting around 6.5 hours just using productivity apps,like outlook, word, excel and rarely PowerPoint. I also use the Facebook app, and tapatalk. I rarely play games as I use my surface pro for pretty much school and work. I get around 8 hours with the screen dimmed and in airplane mode

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I am lovin it :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).jpg
    Screenshot (2).jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 51

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I am getting around 6.5 hours just using productivity apps,like outlook, word, excel and rarely PowerPoint. I also use the Facebook app, and tapatalk. I rarely play games as I use my surface pro for pretty much school and work. I get around 8 hours with the screen dimmed and in airplane mode

AAppreciate the info, it helps in our decision.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the Power Cover as well, and yes, it does add some weight and a little bulk. But, it is worth it. It don't feel tethered to a power cord any more. If my Surface Pro is getting low on juice I just hook up the Power Cover and I get a few hours more without having to plug in. Then before I go to bed, I plug it in and let it charge over night.

lemonsteveo

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
This may sound kinda strange, but I'm seriously contemplating getting an original surface pro with the huge discounts on offer and free type cover included. And hearing the good reviews of the power cover here, if I need the extra battery down the road, I can buy that as well probably on eBay.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking about picking up a power cover to extend the usage of my Surface Pro, but after having taken a look at one at the Microsoft Store, it seems to add too much heft to be useful. I'm contemplating picking up a Pro 3 mainly because the kick stand, more than anything else on the Pro 1, is too limiting. That, and the battery life limitations on the Pro 1 limit it's usefulness without having to constantly carry around a power adaptor.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't notice the heft at all. Yes the power cover "feels just as heavy as the Surface Pro, but when it is on a table or in a bag you don't notice it. It is still light. IF you are carrying it you might notice a little bit.

Getting a Surface Pro 3 instead of the power cover, if I could do that I would.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett