What is a "BAD_POOL_HEADER" and why does it cause my Surface Pro to crash?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Twice in a little over half a day, my Surface Pro crashed with the error description "BAD_POOL_HEADER" and an error code I couldn't remember. What does BAD_POOL_HEADER mean and how do I fix it so my Surface Pro doesn't crash anymore because of it?

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's likely to be either faulty memory or a badly coded driver. Have you added any new hardware or updated any drivers recently? If so try removing said hardware or reverting the driver back to the previous version.

If you haven't then you might have a hardware issue. Best way of testing for that is to reset the surface to factory settings and seeing if the error occurs again.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Surface Pro yesterday before the first BSOD happened. It was one of the Windows updates that starts with KB. I have too many programs to reinstall to do a factory reset. Do to know what triggers the bad pool header so I can avoid doing that and hope it will be fixed in the next update?

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Is there anything I should avoid doing on my Surface Pro to prevent another BAD_POOL_HEADER BSOD from occurring?

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
it's related to how it handle memory and swap file. this can be caused by bad 3rd party drive, bad update application or a software trying to do something to memory it shouldn't. Start with removing the windows updates you applied recently. Other than that, it's probably some funky third party driver or software. "normally" the standard updates don't cause memory kernel issues, unless you have a cpu or memory hardware issue. There is not a quick way to search this out. Google it and you will get a million suggestions for how to troubleshoot.

SoniaBower892wt

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
1. Go to windows Device Manager
2. Click "view" and select "show hidden devices"
3. Scroll down to "storage volumes"
4. Click on the plus to expand.
5. Click on each one listed and right click and uninstall. (You will get a message on some saying to reboot before it takes effect. Select no until you do them all.)
6. Reboot.
7. Wait till windows automatically reinstalls devices. Will prompt to reboot again.
8. Reboot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb