bluescreen / bsod when detaching keyboard

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently purchased an used Surface Pro 1 and also bought a type cover for it from Amazon (I think the type cover was new since it was labeled as new on the package and it looked entirely new & clean). Anyway, it works very well except that today I got 2 crashes (kern power error in event viewer) somewhat randomly right at moments when I detached the type cover and the other time when I stood a short moment with the tablet with the keyboard hanging attached to it.
Other than that I noticed that I was charging my tablet and also was gaming.
What could the issue be? Perhaps the pins deteriorating or perhaps a driver issue?

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently purchased an used Surface Pro 1 and also bought a type cover for it from Amazon (I think the type cover was new since it was labeled as new on the package and it looked entirely new & clean). Anyway, it works very well except that today I got 2 BSOD's somewhat randomly right at moments when I detached the type cover and the other time when I stood a short moment with the tablet with the keyboard hanging attached to it.
Other than that I noticed that I was charging my tablet and also was gaming.
What could the issue be? Perhaps the pins deteriorating or perhaps a driver issue?

Hmm, that's an odd one.

1) Check the pins on both the keyboard and SP1.

2) Have any Windows Updates installed recently?

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Hmm, that's an odd one.

, ty for replying.

1) Don't see anything of dirt or such on both the pins. I do see that some of the black plastic or magnesium(?) on the tablet part that holds the keyboard (so not the pins self) has some minor damage (probably from extensive usage).

2) No not really, 1809 is not yet installed and 1803 was more than a month ago. A minor update at the end of december.

Also I instead of BSOD I actually just got crashes (kernel power error in event viewer), should have defined that more clear in my first post. I think I will now set the Surface to tablet mode only when the keyboard is detached, to see if it changes randomly (/the connection/pins are bad).

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Hmm, that's an odd one.

, I also noticed this error in the event viewer:

"The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly."

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

"The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly."

Sounds like a firmware update might do the trick,they can be found via this link here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/deploy-the-latest-firmware-and-drivers-for-surface-devices

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
, ty for replying.

1) Don't see anything of dirt or such on both the pins. I do see that some of the black plastic or magnesium(?) on the tablet part that holds the keyboard (so not the pins self) has some minor damage (probably from extensive usage).

2) No not really, 1809 is not yet installed and 1803 was more than a month ago. A minor update at the end of december.

Also I instead of BSOD I actually just got crashes (kernel power error in event viewer), should have defined that more clear in my first post. I think I will now set the Surface to tablet mode only when the keyboard is detached, to see if it changes randomly (/the connection/pins are bad).

Was about to respond this and then saw your latest post lol.

Sounds like a firmware update might do the trick, they can be found via this link here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/deploy-the-latest-firmware-and-drivers-for-surface-devices

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Was about to respond this and then saw your latest post lol.

Sounds like a firmware update might do the trick, they can be found via this link here.

, thanks going to try this, which of these options should I download? (I have version 1803 of win10 on my Surface Pro 1):

Choose the download you want
File Name
Size

DataEraserSetup.msi
399.2 MB

Surface Pro\Surface Pro 1 - January 2015.zip
372.8 MB

Surface Pro\SurfacePro_Win10_150723_0.zip
149.6 MB

Surface Pro\Windows8.1-KB2969817-x64.msu
343 KB

Last edited: