Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Wow all those choices are to high. Microsoft needs to hit a price aroun $200-$250. They have to compeet with Android if they want to sell tablets. I suspect the Pro version will be $400-$500 but the RT needs to be way less.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow all those choices are to high. Microsoft needs to hit a price aroun $200-$250. They have to compeet with Android if they want to sell tablets. I suspect the Pro version will be $400-$500 but the RT needs to be way less.

Both of these are premium devices. Anyone is deluded if they think it will hit $250. The Kindle Fire is lower speced, left over Blackberry Playbook design with only 7" screen. Other cheap devices are plastic and of less quality.

The design, presentation etc... show them going after the iPad. They are premium devices. They don't want to compete to hard with OEMs and will let them go after the cheaper end of the market. Microsoft would lose alot of money it can't gain back like with the Xbox. And it would permantently make the impression that $250 is what you expect to pay for something of this caliber. The fact is it does more than the iPad. That is what Microsoft need to market. Rather than waste money on giving devices away, waste money marketing how this is better than an iPad and how for alot of people an even Windows RT device can replace their current computer.

As for the Pro, just the Intel i5 chip will cost $250. Can you find a single i5 ultraportable that costs $500? I bet you can't find one that costs less than $800.

Again deluded. And you are not helping Microsoft buy suggesting unobtainable price points.

The Kindle fire is older 1Ghz dual core chipset with only 512 RAM and 8GB storage. This will start at 32 GB with I would Tegra 3 quad core 1.5ghz chipset and 2GB RAM.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

This is a ridiculous statement. They said they would price it like comprable ARM tablets. Think Galaxy Tab 2 10.1", iPad, and others. These START at $399 for new models (old models can be found for less). I think $399 is the smart price because that is where 32 GB, 10"+ Android tabs start. But the device would be worth every penny at $599. At $599 I would buy myself one. At $399, I'd get one and I'd replace my wife's iPad 2 with one as well.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd be willing to pay $699, but I suspect $599. An iPad 3 with 32 gb storage is $599, and has a higher-resolution screen but less valuable bundled software (Surface RT has Office Home & Student included...very valuable).

The argument that this should be priced like a Kindle Fire is absurd. I own a Kindle Fire. It's a plastic case device, not magnesium. It's a 7" device, not 10.6". It has 8 gb storage, not 32. It's touchscreen drivers are a farce. It's OS is barely adequate for an eReader and Netflix viewer and Angry Birds device. It's web browser is basically unusable. It has NO cameras. A Surface RT will cost three times as much because it's three times the device.

Likewise, the argument that the Surface Pro should cost under $500 is crazy. It's got an Ivy Bridge i5, 64 gb storage, and a 1080p screen. That's on par with ultraportable laptops like the MacBook Air and Asus Zenbook, which cost over $1000. I think $899-$999 is likely, and appropriate, for the Surface Pro.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
With the unveiling of the Nexus 7, the Surface RT will have to be <$300 to win my dollars. I am very tempted to go Google despite my admiring the Microsoft ecosystem. It doesn't matter what excuses anyone puts out. At the end of the day, the Nexus 7 is the best value and a Tegra is a Tegra.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
With the unveiling of the Nexus 7, the Surface RT will have to be <$300 to win my dollars. I am very tempted to go Google despite my admiring the Microsoft ecosystem. It doesn't matter what excuses anyone puts out. At the end of the day, the Nexus 7 is the best value and a Tegra is a Tegra.

Enjoy your gimped tablet. Let us compare: The Nexus 7 has no USB, no MicroSD. The Nexus 7 only has 8 or 16GB. It has inferior construction. No Office 2013.

The Surface has full USB with host support. MicroSD upto 32GB. Built in memory starts at 32GB. Office 2013. Magnesium construction with VaporMG. Built in kickstand and available touch cover.

I'm amazed at how people want something for nothing.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I expect the RT to be $449-$499 for 32GB and $549-$599 for 64GB. I think that's a great price for what they are including. Can't wait.

I expect other OEMs will off RTs for about $100 less, with plastic cases, maybe less memory and other cost saving "features".

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your gimped tablet. Let us compare: The Nexus 7 has no USB, no MicroSD. The Nexus 7 only has 8 or 16GB. It has inferior construction. No Office 2013.

The Surface has full USB with host support. MicroSD upto 32GB. Built in memory starts at 32GB. Office 2013. Magnesium construction with VaporMG. Built in kickstand and available touch cover.

I'm amazed at how people want something for nothing.

And let's not forget that the Surface will offer roughly twice the screen real estate of a 7" tablet like the Nexus 7. It's just like the old Kindle Fire versus iPad comparisons. One is a cheap-and-portable media consumption device, the other is a fully-featured premium laptop. The Fire didn't slay the iPad, and the Nexus 7 won't slay the Surface.

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, in GBP terms; I would definiately buy if it's ?400 (coinsides with other Android WiFi Tablets on the market).... But if over ?500 then I would have to wait and just keep with my laptop a while longer

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, in GBP terms; I would definiately buy if it's ?400 (coinsides with other Android WiFi Tablets on the market).... But if over ?500 then I would have to wait and just keep with my laptop a while longer

?400 is around $624 currently and ?500 is about $780. If it comes in at the prices we are talking about in the US, then that seems like the likely range for GB. Products from the US are always more expensive in the UK than in the US. The extra shipping and tariffs mean higher prices.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I said $599 assuming you meant the 32GB variant and that it comes with the keyboard. With the KB, Office bundled, that's a great deal.

I'll be going Pro however assuming I get a Surface.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think if they don't control prices, then RT will eventually disappear. I mean, if HP and the likes can come up with a budget x86 machine, priced the same or under an RT, why would anyone buy an RT?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think if they don't control prices, then RT will eventually disappear. I mean, if HP and the likes can come up with a budget x86 machine, priced the same or under an RT, why would anyone buy an RT?

Because some of us care about quality. I'd rather have something that does less, but does it extremely well then something that can do it all but does a mediocre job of it. Plus I have a perfectly good desktop for x86 applications. I'd rather have one good steak than a sack full of McDonald's cheeseburgers.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Because some of us care about quality. I'd rather have something that does less, but does it extremely well then something that can do it all but does a mediocre job of it. Plus I have a perfectly good desktop for x86 applications. I'd rather have one good steak than a sack full of McDonald's cheeseburgers.

Depends where you draw the line for mediocre. Lots of parents nowadays get by with purchasing $500-$600 x86 Dell laptops for their kids for school. I would not give my child a Metro only machine for school.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Depends where you draw the line for mediocre. Lots of parents nowadays get by with purchasing $500-$600 x86 Dell laptops for their kids for school. I would not give my child a Metro only machine for school.

It's not Metro-only. It uses the desktop for Microsoft Office (which is included in its price, a nice bonus) and for Internet Explorer.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It's not Metro-only. It uses the desktop for Microsoft Office (which is included in its price, a nice bonus) and for Internet Explorer.

Still seems to be confusion. But from what I understand, RT is Metro only coupled with MS Office in Metro, not desktop. Bloggers are calling it Office 15.

EDIT: Same with IE10. I believe there will be a Metro version for IE, because I remember Chrome and FF complaining that MS was blocking them from submitting their browsers. If RT had dekstop mode, then it wouldn't be a problem for Chrome and FF. MS already stated that Adobe Flash will be limited in Metro IE. Not so with desktop IE. All these point to a Metro only RT, IMO.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte