What I am mostly hearing about Windows RT:

"Well, Surface is awesome, but only the x86 version!"

"Windows 8? But x86, right?"

"Windows RT? Heck no, I can't use all the other apps on that version, wtf am I supposed to do about that???"

As you can see, mostly polemic. People often are frightened by the fact, that many applications wont run (directly at launch!) on RT and I understand that, especially if there are apps, which are neccessary for work or other important life parts.

But where are all the casual tablet user? Those who would buy an iPad or any Android tablet? I think they could become very happy with the RT version too. Of course, all the Droids and the iPad are somehow omnipresent, so it will be hard for tablets, running Windows RT i guess.

I for myself am extremely excited about Surface RT. It will be cheaper than Surface Pro, also thinner and with less weight too. AND I will be in the first row, when a new platform rises and grows. I've been following Windows Phone from its beginning and it was just interesting and exciting. It was just great to watch that ecosystem mature and I hope to see that again at RT. :)

Thats why I will get myself a Surface RT (maybe another RT tab but that is my absolute favourite at the moment).

What about you? :)
    niuyulin likes this.
    07-19-2012 02:49 AM
    I feel a lot better about RT after MS announced the new MS Office.
    ninjaap and 12Danny123 like this.
    07-19-2012 03:18 AM
    I feel a lot better about RT after MS announced the new MS Office.
    .... and IE desktop version on RT.
    Reflexx likes this.
    07-19-2012 03:29 AM
    I think for most consumers, Windows RT will be enough. You will be surprised how quickly apps will come to Metro. It won't be like Windows Phone where you waited 2 years for 100,000 apps. There are max 20 million WP out there now. Windows 7 sold 350+ million this last year... developers are gonna be drooling. Windows 8 is forecast to overtake iOS in less than a year. It will be the biggest market to develop for.
    07-19-2012 04:57 PM
    Windows 8 is forecast to overtake iOS in less than a year. It will be the biggest market to develop for.
    I hope so. The more I think about it the more I feel like this might be true too.

I mean, look at all the convertibles to use W8 that are being shown off. You'd be crazy not to want to develop an app that someone could have on their phone and tablet/convertible laptop... Want to screw off for a bit while writing a term paper? Pull up Age of Sorcery and have at it for 30 minutes then tap back to Office and continue what you were doing.

Windows desktops will be the challenge but *some* of that can even be fixed easily. Take a game like Minisquadron(I know, sadly not available anymore but I like it) you can easily give that keyboard controls and I would love that game so much more if I didn't have my fingers in the way of seeing the rest of the game because of the on-screen controls. Same goes for Survivalcraft.

Games like Enigma would be nicer with a mouse, but games like Taptitude wouldn't be doable on a desktop unless it's one of those sweet huge HP touchscreens.
    Last edited by kylej1050; 07-20-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    07-20-2012 10:09 AM
    One of the biggest deals might be to struggle against the enormously high presence of the iPad. Surface and its competitors might be good, I think even better than the iPad, but if they cant compete with apples marketing strtategy, they will have a hard time.
    07-20-2012 12:20 PM
    I've got a nice, fairly new, high-powered 17" i7 laptop already so I don't personally feel the need for the Surface Pro at this point. If the Surface RT will give me what I'll be looking for in a tablet at a better price and with longer battery life/lighter weight then that'll make it the easy choice for me this fall.

Then, hopefully, as friends and family get the chance to see how nicely it works for me, they will consider getting one as well (instead of an iPad or one of the android tabs).
    pedenske likes this.
    07-20-2012 01:34 PM
    I think that accessories like the MS Wedge Mouse will end up making Windows 8 much easier to use on desktops. That, in turn, will help their entire ecosystem in terms of growth.
    12Danny123 likes this.
    07-20-2012 02:50 PM
    yep. i agree the surface rt is best for normal users. when all desktop apps come to metro. and with office 1013 included, you'll basically call RT a laptop replcement.

But i'm in NZ. so i'll have to get a cheap RT tablet.
    07-20-2012 02:58 PM
    personally I feel that using the pro version in desktop mode will be just as problematic as it was with all of the previous windows tablets that were offered before. I get it's possible for it to be a laptop replacement but I think that the RT is the best way to go with a tablet.
    07-21-2012 05:37 PM
    Well Windows RT support a Bluetooth mouse connection to use in office? I'm not the greatest at touch screen and would like the option to be able to use a mouse instead of a touch screen in office. After the surface event I was very interested in getting a Pro but if Windows 8 works flawlessly on my laptop (cheap upgrade) then I'll be happy with either a 32 or 64 version RT(depending on price).

sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-2012 05:55 PM
    Well Windows RT support a Bluetooth mouse connection to use in office? I'm not the greatest at touch screen and would like the option to be able to use a mouse instead of a touch screen in office. After the surface event I was very interested in getting a Pro but if Windows 8 works flawlessly on my laptop (cheap upgrade) then I'll be happy with either a 32 or 64 version RT(depending on price).

sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2
    Yes it will support Bluetooth mouse and USB mouse. In addition if you get the touch cover that has a built in trackpad in addition to a keyboard.
    07-22-2012 02:13 PM
    yep. i agree the surface rt is best for normal users. when all desktop apps come to metro. and with office 1013 included, you'll basically call RT a laptop replcement.

But i'm in NZ. so i'll have to get a cheap RT tablet.

I don't know if this is a deal breaker or not but if you read the bottom of the about page on the surface website, it states "Surface for Windows RT includes Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview". Not sure how limiting the preview is.
    07-22-2012 02:50 PM
    WinRT will be huge success, Metro and Office are good enough reasons to buy it. I am glad did not jump to iPad or Android, nothing feels good after Win 8

Sent from my Windows Phone 7.5
    pedenske likes this.
    07-22-2012 06:45 PM
    I don't know if this is a deal breaker or not but if you read the bottom of the about page on the surface website, it states "Surface for Windows RT includes Office Home & Student 2013 RT Preview". Not sure how limiting the preview is.
    Not too sure about that. Ballmer said, during the Office 2013 presentation, that Surface devices will get the full version of thw new Office.
    08-07-2012 07:54 PM
    Not really a MS fan but Surface RT seems to meet my requirements perfectly.

1 - I want a tablet.
    2 - I want a tablet that can replace my netbook. To really replace my netbook it has to have office. A version of office that I'm familiar with. MS Office 2013 looks like it is the answer.
    3 - The cover keyboards just position these tablets as machines that you can use to create, not just consume. I create using Office. The RT will have office.
    4 - Yes windows 8 brings a lot changes but i also saw some familiar things even though i probably won't use them that much.
    5 - it's lighter than the Pro.
    6 - even the base model will have enough space for my music, documents, pictures and my favorite videos.
    7 - It will be fully compatible with my phone. Yep windows phone helped when it came to choosing which tablet to buy... Just like MS planned lol.

Now the price. Since I'm a student, this is very important. If MS doesn't get it right I probably won't buy a Surface. Anyhow, I gotta congratulate MS, they have something different...
    08-07-2012 08:09 PM
    Yes, I'm looking forward to the RT.

For work, I only need something that can do MS Office, web browsing, email, and PDF viewing. The RT can do all of that while being significantly lighter and much cheaper than a Surface Pro. I don't need to do 3D rendering or code compiling, so I don't care that the Surface Pro can do that and the RT can't.

For recreational use, everything I do on it will be Metro apps on the start screen, so once again, the RT is perfectly adequate.
    08-08-2012 03:22 PM
    Windows RT is useless without devs behind the platform. It's very probable they will come, but how quick will they be?
    08-13-2012 08:43 PM
    08-14-2012 11:02 AM
    A price point of $199 would make it very VERY interesting...

Of course, the big question mark will be the apps. They will make it or break it.
    08-14-2012 11:08 AM
    I don't think it will be $199. This piece of news is coming from Engadget and shady sources after all.
    08-14-2012 12:48 PM
    I just don't see it being priced that low. For a ten inch tablet, that would be incredible. I thought the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 were priced really low, and the manufacturers took hits on those devices. The surface tablet looks to have a more premium build and it has a bigger screen. To price it the same as the Fire and Nexus would be insane. But we will see what happens. I think that it will be a great tablet at $400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-17-2012 09:30 PM
    If I should get a Surface, it would be the RT. I'd actually rather buy a laptop than the Pro since the Pro is a laptop with a touch screen.

For me, the point in the RT would be for school use since it's small, has Office and is intended to be used with a keyboard. I'm a huge fan of the Metro UI and I can easily see both the RT and the Pro being very productive and easy to use.

The Office (and I assume SkyDrive) integration really makes the difference for these tablets. It's genius by Microsoft to release free Office on all their mobile devices - phones and tablets alike. It draws in customers that otherwise would be willing to choose any device since Microsoft Office is such an important part in close to any work done on the computer. So I'll say that Office is Microsoft's strongest weapon when it comes to marketing their devices.

And if they can keep the prise between 200 and 250$, they are set even stronger with a cheap and functional alternative to the other units on the market.

I'm very optimistic about the concept of W8 tablets, and I do look forward to the RT model.
    08-20-2012 11:20 AM
    What I am mostly hearing about Windows RT:

"Well, Surface is awesome, but only the x86 version!"

"Windows 8? But x86, right?"

"Windows RT? Heck no, I can't use all the other apps on that version, wtf am I supposed to do about that???"

As you can see, mostly polemic. People often are frightened by the fact, that many applications wont run (directly at launch!) on RT and I understand that, especially if there are apps, which are neccessary for work or other important life parts.

But where are all the casual tablet user? Those who would buy an iPad or any Android tablet? I think they could become very happy with the RT version too. Of course, all the Droids and the iPad are somehow omnipresent, so it will be hard for tablets, running Windows RT i guess.

I for myself am extremely excited about Surface RT. It will be cheaper than Surface Pro, also thinner and with less weight too. AND I will be in the first row, when a new platform rises and grows. I've been following Windows Phone from its beginning and it was just interesting and exciting. It was just great to watch that ecosystem mature and I hope to see that again at RT. :)

Thats why I will get myself a Surface RT (maybe another RT tab but that is my absolute favourite at the moment).

What about you? :)
    i can't agree with you more. yes.the rt is a good device instead of PC and ipad when u go out.
    but honestly.it comes to me that one significant reason many people pick up rt rather than pro is RT is much more cheaper even compared with ipad.
    but with the development of intel's atom.atom both in speed or endurance have been increasingly improved,what's more the chips price has been lower and lower,
    which means that consumer will choose the more powerful and x86 to be their processer.
    all in all,i love surface rt very much but i'm not looking forward to RT but the productions such as asus t100.....
    12-10-2013 08:42 AM
    but their mobile devices-phones' office is really hard to use ....'
    i'm chinese. in china ,almost all of us use the windows xp. and it's really difficult to connect the computers with my 920.and the skydrive in china is really a useless netdisk.
    however thanksfully i have my surface with me when i go out.
    12-10-2013 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD