Surface for Windows RT to be less than $350?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
One thought I had was that we need to remember, these prices being announced are MSRP. These companies are not Apple. When was the last time you paid MSRP for an Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, or HP? These will be at least slightly discounted within weeks of launch simply because these companies do not have the price lock contracts with retailers that Apple and Samsung have.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I think $200 as reported by Engadget. Anything more than that and the Surface will flop considering the Nexus 7 and iPad mini. No one is enthusiastic about Windows RT and with the prices other OEMs are setting, Windows RT will flop and flop badly. I don't see any reason why they should cost a hundred dollars over the iPad. If Microsoft is serious in any way about RT, the Surface cannot cost more than $200.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I think $200 as reported by Engadget. Anything more than that and the Surface will flop considering the Nexus 7 and iPad mini. No one is enthusiastic about Windows RT and with the prices other OEMs are setting, Windows RT will flop and flop badly. I don't see any reason why they should cost a hundred dollars over the iPad. If Microsoft is serious in any way about RT, the Surface cannot cost more than $200.

Disagree. This is much larger than the Nexus 7 and RT will not flop long term. All the Windows Store apps that will go out to the hundreds of millions who will adopt Windows 8 will be available on RT. And MS Office will be there as part of the package.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Given the big AD push, I am more convinced that the surface is going to be priced competitively. I don't think that Ms would spend all this on ads to price it as a niche product

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Given the big AD push, I am more convinced that the surface is going to be priced competitively. I don't think that Ms would spend all this on ads to price it as a niche product

Define "competitively". Based on prices that we know, the least expensive RT is 599.00 right now. Compared to iPad, it's about even; but compared to some of the lower end Android tabs it's not.

My initial thought of 349.00 I have no faith in, and some saying 200.00 is utterly ridiculous. Now the best I'm hoping for is 499.00 (no keyboard)

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Define "competitively". Based on prices that we know, the least expensive RT is 599.00 right now. Compared to iPad, it's about even; but compared to some of the lower end Android tabs it's not.

My initial thought of 349.00 I have no faith in, and some saying 200.00 is utterly ridiculous. Now the best I'm hoping for is 499.00 (no keyboard)
Turns out you were right about $499 without the keyboard: Microsoft News ? Microsoft Surface Pricing Revealed, $499 For 32GB Without Touch Cover

The price is higher than what I was hoping for, but I may still pick one up.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
499 for a 32 GB premium tab is a good price. I just wish the touch cover was cheaper.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
That being said, 599 Surface with touch cover is better than a 599 iPad with the same capacity without.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It is a good price and totally worth it, but it is too high an entry price for RT. I do not think the Surface should be the lowest priced RT device, as it is a premium device, but I think for RT to succeed, they need something at $399 for the entry level. Even Apple does this, you can still buy a brand new 16 GB iPad 2 at $399.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Even as the lowest priced RT device, it's still not competitively priced vs. the iPad. RT has exactly one reasonably priced product and a bunch of rippoff others. Furthermore, I'm not investing money in an OS that's certain to be dead. If iPad doesn't kill it, Windows 8 Pro tablets surely will.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It is a good price and totally worth it, but it is too high an entry price for RT. I do not think the Surface should be the lowest priced RT device, as it is a premium device, but I think for RT to succeed, they need something at $399 for the entry level. Even Apple does this, you can still buy a brand new 16 GB iPad 2 at $399.

The iPad 2 is a previous generation tablet, so it's not really a fair comparison.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The prices we see are decent. Not amazing, but fair.

I wonder if we'll see some Black Friday deals. Or maybe a subsidized price if you get an XBOX Music subscription.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Even as the lowest priced RT device, it's still not competitively priced vs. the iPad. RT has exactly one reasonably priced product and a bunch of rippoff others. Furthermore, I'm not investing money in an OS that's certain to be dead. If iPad doesn't kill it, Windows 8 Pro tablets surely will.

Were you expecting 199.00? It's pretty cool you not only are writing off the tablet but the entire o/s as well. I'll alert Balmer - he'll be so disappointed

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, it's gonna cost the same as the iPad 3? In the UK it is determined to flop. Looks like even MS aren't trying to beat the iPad here. Plus, with the iPad Mini being revealed and likely a huge chunk of change cheaper than the main iPad, who in their right mind will think "Oo, Surface tablet, must have that." I'm expecting if Apple start advertising their ecosystem better, that we'll start seeing Windows users flee to Mac en-masse too, causing them to lose their dominant PC position too.

All I can say is best of luck, and I will try and see if I can pick one up myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos