My non-techie sister is interested in the Surface

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Most people shockingly only use a browser and office on their laptops. So unless you need more apps than that it is a laptop replacement. Plus metro or RT apps will come quickly, there are already 4000+ including remote desktop and other productively tools.

My point is still 100% correct. Unless you need a legacy apps I did not list, or your legacy app is replaced by an adequate Metro/RT app then this is a laptop replacement.

This is not just a tablet like the iPad. The iPad does not have a file explorer, or browser that supports flash (IE Desktop). Does not have a full featured office suite. (Just a simpled downed iWorks). And this costs about the same as an iPad. So it makes perfect financial sense to me.

I see your point, and I agree it's more than an iPad. As I said earlier, I know plenty of people would be fine replacing their daily computing device with a Surface RT device. I still think the Pro will be a better, all around replacement... But that's just me. As I said before, Surface RT is a steal for people who know what they need (or don't need). Also, I thought I read RT's desktop IE wouldn't support flash either? I'd be happy to be wrong but that is what I thought.

As for apps.. If people buy it, they will come. Apple wasn't blessed with all the apps in the world when the iPhone app store launched. Microsoft will regulate everything that goes into the market (like Apple) which would minimize malicious software... Pro version will be able to catch anything your windows 7 pc can catch.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Apps will definetly come with Win8 but if they will be compatable with ARM devcies is another matter (it says in the info part before you buy an app)

If winRT takes off, and I think for the business side of the market it will, then it will develop nicely..

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Apps will definetly come with Win8 but if they will be compatable with ARM devcies is another matter (it says in the info part before you buy an app)

If winRT takes off, and I think for the business side of the market it will, then it will develop nicely..
Yes whatever Metro app in developed for Windows 8 will work on Windows RT

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes whatever Metro app in developed for Windows 8 will work on Windows RT

I am not arguing with you on this point but I didnt think that was true,

In the info section of the app I thought it stated if it would be compatable with ARM devices, please correct me if I am wrong on that though.

If this is true that all metro(eeeee) type apps will work on win8 and winRT then it has a extermly good chance of gaining alot of traction.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
image54.png

Microsoft News ? Now over 5,000 apps in Windows 8 Store

Highlighting that 94% of over 5500 apps also work on RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss