HD Digital AV Adapter

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So, just preordered a surface RT and noticed this:

"Surface with Windows RT is incredibly thin, but still features a full-size USB port, microSD card slot, and HD video out port1. Easily transfer files or use compatible accessories2. Charge up, plug in, and show off.

1 Requires Surface HD Digital AV Adapter, sold separately. 2Surface with Windows RT is compatible with mice, keyboard, printers and other peripherals certified for Windows RT. "

I thought they were going to use Mini DisplayPort? I've been saving my mini displayport to HDMI adapter for this. Oh well, I guess I'll order this adapter they speak of... except one problem, I don't see anywhere to order it!

Targus

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Surface RT has this proprietary HD display port, while Surface Pro will have a Mini DisplayPort
Are "proprietary HD display port" and micro HDMI the same thing? Or Microsoft deliberately makes it different from the standard micro HDMI to sell the adapter?

The "surface HD digital AV adapter" shown in the Microsoft Store looks nothing more than a plain cable without doing any signal conversion inside. I'm wondering whether Microsoft changes the pinout of the host port, or it's simply a trick to avoid HDMI license fee by not claiming it's HDMI?

Last edited:

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Are "proprietary HD display port" and micro HDMI the same thing? Or Microsoft deliberately makes it different from the standard micro HDMI to sell the adapter?

The "surface HD digital AV adapter" shown in the Microsoft Store looks nothing more than a plain cable without doing any signal conversion inside. I'm wondering whether Microsoft changes the pinout of the host port, or it's simply a trick to avoid HDMI license fee by not claiming it's HDMI?

I think its proprietary based solely on the fact that it will also support VGA out (with a different adaptor). MicroHDMI does HDMI only and not VGA. HDMI can be converted to DVI (since they are basically the same digital signal) but not VGA which is analog.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Something troubles me about the wording they use to describe the adapter.

Designed for Surface with Windows RT, this proprietary HD Digital AV Adapter lets you connect your device to any HDMI-compatible display (HDTV, monitor, or projector) and stream movies, play video games, and watch slideshows in high definition.

Product Features

HD digital connection provides high-definition clarity for displaying presentations, photos, and video. Works with HDMI compatible displays and HDTV. Exclusively for Surface with Windows RT.

This tells me that they're limiting the RT on purpose to only output certain content like videos, slideshows, etc to an external monitor (like iPads & other iOS devices used to do).

That truly sucks if thats the case. I was hoping that it would do full video mirroring to an HDMI monitor. Like if I wanted to bring it home, hook it up & use it as my main "PC" since it has USB ports & everything else.

If they're doing this just so people will upgrade to the Pro model, they can forget it. With the Tegra chip they're using inside the RT, there's no reason why it couldn't do full mirroring besides MS just limiting it on purpose.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Something troubles me about the wording they use to describe the adapter.

Designed for Surface with Windows RT, this proprietary HD Digital AV Adapter lets you connect your device to any HDMI-compatible display (HDTV, monitor, or projector) and stream movies, play video games, and watch slideshows in high definition.

Product Features

HD digital connection provides high-definition clarity for displaying presentations, photos, and video. Works with HDMI compatible displays and HDTV. Exclusively for Surface with Windows RT.

This tells me that they're limiting the RT on purpose to only output certain content like videos, slideshows, etc to an external monitor (like iPads & other iOS devices used to do).

That truly sucks if thats the case. I was hoping that it would do full video mirroring to an HDMI monitor. Like if I wanted to bring it home, hook it up & use it as my main "PC" since it has USB ports & everything else.

If they're doing this just so people will upgrade to the Pro model, they can forget it. With the Tegra chip they're using inside the RT, there's no reason why it couldn't do full mirroring besides MS just limiting it on purpose.

I think they were just listing examples of what an HD out port would be useful for, not making a comprehensive list of everying that can be displayed via the port. I have seen other products advertized in similar ways even though they supported more over their HDMI port.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I think they were just listing examples of what an HD out port would be useful for, not making a comprehensive list of everying that can be displayed via the port. I have seen other products advertized in similar ways even though they supported more over their HDMI port.

I sure hope so. If not, then it would certainly limit the appeal. But I guess we won't know for sure until someone tries it. I do know that the OS is capable of it, even the RT has a "desktop" mode if Im not mistaken where you can change the resolution & monitor setup.

But the fact that its a non standard adapter (instead of just putting HDMI straight up on it) tells me that they may in fact have done something screwy with it. God I hope not. I really wanna use this thing as my main device.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a MicroHDMI to VGA port for my Samsung as well, and the logic is mostly in the adapter itself. The port looks like a straight-up MicroHDMI port otherwise, so once someone gets their hands on one it'd be interesting to see if that's true. It doesn't look proprietary in any way, and the digital to analog conversion technology would very likely be in the dongle itself, which would drive up the cost of the dongle (and not drive up the costs of making the Surface, paying each time for a feature only a subset of users would ever need).

This is the Samsung Adapter, for what it's worth, and I'm gonna give it a shot in my own Surface when I am able to just to see if it works:
AA-AH1NAMB HDMI to VGA Adapter for Series 9

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077