Are You Ditching an Existing Tablet for Surface RT?

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I myself am ditching an Asus Transformer Prime, I am not one of those who hates Google or Android, in addition to my Lumia 900 I use a Galaxy Nexus, and I'm usually torn. The Windows phone OS is just far smoother and has a better layout, and Jelly bean improved the smoothness but Windows phone is still a better experience. Google still has some services that I prefer, Maps, Google Voice, Drive (Skydrive has really caught up though).

If Windows phone went away tomorrow, I would be ok, but Google never got the tablet right even with Jelly bean, so when my Surface RT arrives my android tablet will be the left to my two year old, because there are games and story books on there he likes, that I'm not sure will be on Windows yet, but as soon as they are he will dump it also, He gets really frustrated when the tablet freezes during Train Crisis.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
No. Just bought a Asus W500 that is runing Win 8. Had Win 7 Pro when I got it (which ran very well btw). Only drawback is it's Wi-Fi only and cannot run the 64 bit version. Driver issue.

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I myself am ditching an Asus Transformer Prime, I am not one of those who hates Google or Android, in addition to my Lumia 900 I use a Galaxy Nexus, and I'm usually torn. The Windows phone OS is just far smoother and has a better layout, and Jelly bean improved the smoothness but Windows phone is still a better experience. Google still has some services that I prefer, Maps, Google Voice, Drive (Skydrive has really caught up though).

If Windows phone went away tomorrow, I would be ok, but Google never got the tablet right even with Jelly bean, so when my Surface RT arrives my android tablet will be the left to my two year old, because there are games and story books on there he likes, that I'm not sure will be on Windows yet, but as soon as they are he will dump it also, He gets really frustrated when the tablet freezes during Train Crisis.

man you are not the only one I have used Android, iPhone, Blackberry and WP7, I am definitely getting the Lumia 920 I have the iPhone 5 and was disappointed, even though smooth it wasnt a big upgrade from the 4 or 4S, I am going to be also getting a tablet I have a nexus 7 and well I dont use it because is not smooth and is dissapointing to use compare to the phone browser, now I prefer a full browser, and the Surface is a good option, but there is one tablet that I am keeping an Eye on is from Acer and is selling in New Egg for 799, now that is expensive, but is a full PC with USB Port and Metal back looks really high quality, 64GB storage, 4GB of RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, resolution 1920 x 1080 with LED backlight & Acer CrystalBrite Technology, 5MP Rear-facing HD camera with 1080p Video Recording, Front-facing HD camera with 720p video recording, 9 hours of battery life and well it doesnt include a keyboard, but was comparing with the RT which dont get me wrong is a nice tablet, and besides the office 2013 on the RT the Intel Acer tablet has full PC capabilities so you can install x86 applications and games.

Still kind of confused on which one to get :/ well any help will be appreciated regarding utility, which one is better for everyday use as for browsing, documents, music, video, gaming, skype, multitasking is what I am looking for, thanks in advanced.

Ditching this Nexus 7 for one of this.

Last edited:

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I won't be getting a RT, but a Levono Twist (hybrid) more then likely. I sold my iPad3 and plan on selling my desktop too to pay for it. The iPad was nice till iOS6. Safari took a hit in performance in the new version, and apps seem to be not as smooth too. I do agree with the trouble with Android tablets, had a Toshiba Thrive before my iPad.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ryzama

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Trying to sell my 64GB Blackberry Playbook to pickup a 32GB Surface. Still have my Bold 9900 which will be replaced by the Lumia 920. My wife bought the Lumia 900 and loves it, which sold me on Windows Phone. Plus I hate Blackberry now. :)

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Good bye boring ipad 2 welcome to the family surface RT.
Being able to use office on an ultra-portable device will be the icing on the cake.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I'll ditch my Nexus 7 after reviews come in good for the Surface. Since no reviews I'm not going to jump head on for it. I do that for far too many gadgets. I need to pace myself. :D

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the original Asus Transformer, which I purchased after the Transformer Prime was released. While I don't plan to sell my Transformer, but I did pre-ordered RT with the cyan touch cover. :p

I think it is still too early to say if RT will be a success or not. I do hope it succeeds of course. The app selection won't be widely available at launch. But I'm hoping it will be a matter of time till developers come on board. I have the Lumia 710 and I love it. The problem is that some of the apps on WP just doesn't have the full features. So I'm still waiting. But I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is for RT.

Crossing fingers for RT.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
32GB RT for me, replacing a BB Playbook 32 GB which I deeply regretted being an early adopter for.

I do not think I will buy day one though, going to wait for some more reviews so I do not get burned again. Still mad at my PB's inability to do some simple things, most importantly reliably load webpages.

pedenske

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Going to be my first tablet. Already have a desktop and laptop so I figured it's about time to fill in the gap and get a tablet. For me RT is no big deal seeing as I have other means of runnins legacy applications if I need to.

bruceabbott2

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
A lot of Apps in the windows 8 store for pc are compiled for ARM as well so a good number of apps will be available for RT when devices start to ship. I think we will start seeing a shift from X86 to ARM even for hardcore apps the more advanced mobile CPUs become.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a iPad 2 which I love but it has to many shortcomings and the main two are no file system and not being able to have two apps on the screen at the same time.

I will keep it for while though to make sure I like the Surface. Last year I got rid of my iPhone 4 foe a S2 and two days later retuned it and bought a 4s.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I still like my nexus 7, perfect size and weight to do a lot of little things. Given the price, I don't think RT is that attractive. I am still waiting the Pro which I think will be more interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sniper1087

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I still like my nexus 7, perfect size and weight to do a lot of little things. Given the price, I don't think RT is that attractive. I am still waiting the Pro which I think will be more interesting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I showed a link of a tablet that was shown at IFA for 799 100 bucks more than the 64 gb of the RT full with Intel core i3 with 4 gb of RAM, and more is a full pc with windows 8 which is the one I would probably get I will try the RT which the return policy is 30 days so I can see if I would change it and then do it if I want to see the Full blown Windows 8 x86 apps.

Newegg.com - Acer Iconia Tab W Series W700-6607 Tablet PC 3rd Generation Intel Core i3-3217U 1.80GHz 11.6" Full HD 4GB DDR3 Memory 64GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 4000

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Currently selling a Transformer Prime. I have never been able to get beyond the fact that it is an exceptional piece of technology, hamstrung by a poorly designed and resource hungry OS. Personally, I also think that for each thing fixed with each OS upgrade something equally significant was broken. As a final comment, I cannot get past the sense that Android is really still a phone OS being slapped into a tablet with an array of "launchers" to make up the difference. The design still impacts both full exploitation of touch real estate in a tablet and app design in general. The same is not true of IOS, or Windows 8/RT, or even RIM's Playbook OS.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Nope, Surface would be my first tablet. No tablet so far ever sparked even slight interest to me until I saw the Surface.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss