Microsoft offered Insurance on Surface RT for $100

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from our holiday pop up store. Thankfully I got a reservation pass and I'm number 6. They said there will be a separate line for those with Reservation Passes. They also informed me to think about Insurance. Microsoft will offer a 2yr Accidental Insurance plan on the Surface RT's.

The insurance plan covers you for two accidents per year. A total of 4 claims over the 2yr period. For $100, this isn't a bad deal. Especially since most of us will be spending $618 plus tax.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from our holiday pop up store. Thankfully I got a reservation pass and I'm number 6. They said there will be a separate line for those with Reservation Passes. They also informed me to think about Insurance. Microsoft will offer a 2yr Accidental Insurance plan on the Surface RT's.

The insurance plan covers you for two accidents per year. A total of 4 claims over the 2yr period. For $100, this isn't a bad deal. Especially since most of us will be spending $618 plus tax.

Did they say if there is a deductible on the insurance? I think I may need to get this. I'm not known for being super gentle with my electronics...

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Did they say if there is a deductible on the insurance? I think I may need to get this. I'm not known for being super gentle with my electronics...

You know what. She didn't say. She said if something happens. Just bring it in and it's replaced on the spot. You get two claims per year. But she didn't mention a deductible. I'll try to go by there tomorrow to ask.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You know what. She didn't say. She said if something happens. Just bring it in and it's replaced on the spot. You get two claims per year. But she didn't mention a deductible. I'll try to go by there tomorrow to ask.

You should also ask if it has to be purchased the day you get your Surface or if there is a period after the purchase you are still eligible to purchase it. For example, with Apple Care, if you bring in you Apple product and show nothing is wrong with it within 30 days of the original purchase you can buy Apple Care. Knowing if it included any extended support (again, a la Apple Care) wouldn't be the worst question in the world to ask.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
You should also ask if it has to be purchased the day you get your Surface or if there is a period after the purchase you are still eligible to purchase it. For example, with Apple Care, if you bring in you Apple product and show nothing is wrong with it within 30 days of the original purchase you can buy Apple Care. Knowing if it included any extended support (again, a la Apple Care) wouldn't be the worst question in the world to ask.
Sure thing. I'll find this out tomorrow too.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

....not to burst your bubble, but like all such plans for phones and other technology they are a very bad deal. They are as close to free money for companies as they ever get. If someone genuinely has a history of breaking things multiple times then I guess it might rarely have a point. In general though such plans are seldom ever used and, when they are, it is not nearly the insurance they thought it was. This is something that always ranks at the top of the buyer beware list every holiday season. You spend 20% of the value of the device to replace it if you break it, if you meet all the fine print stips. If the product line is successful though, what you will get for that is usually a refurb device when there may already be a new model and cheaper prices on the old one.

At least in the US, unless one is buying with cash or a debit card, I recommend that people just check their credit card for additional warranty protection. That is a common add on for Visa and MasterCard accounts. I think the same is true for AMEX but I have never had reason to check. In my case, my card coverage doubles the standard warranty to two years and adds on 90 days of outright replacement coverage for theft or breakage. Actually even some Visa debit cards add on the warranty doubling.

Sorry but "insurance" plans on devices with limited use lives really do belong on the top of the list of things consumers should avoid. They are really just a flat out fleecing of consumers and represent almost pure profit to retailers. That is the reason so many retailers try so hard to sell you on their merits.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm normally wary of insurance because there are so many things not covered. Namely, whatever they define as "negligence."

Many "accidents" are the result of some sort of negligence. So it can be hard getting damage covered.

Considering so many limitations, I think insurance is too often over priced.

There's likely a manufacturer's warranty for a year anyways. And by the end of that the Surface will probably be $299.

If the warranty was $50 it would sound better.

Last edited:

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I only ever buy a warranty that covers accidental damage. I'd say I end up using them 80% of the time. I look at it this way, I'd rather spend $100 on a warranty that covers accidental damage than $50-$70 on a decent, rugged case that covers my sleek, sexy, thin device and makes it bully and ugly. So I roll caseless, and if/when my device is damages, get a replacement.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I only ever buy a warranty that covers accidental damage. I'd say I end up using them 80% of the time. I look at it this way, I'd rather spend $100 on a warranty that covers accidental damage than $50-$70 on a decent, rugged case that covers my sleek, sexy, thin device and makes it bully and ugly. So I roll caseless, and if/when my device is damages, get a replacement.

Im in the same boat as you. I dont want a horrid expensive case that will cover the form factor. I might buy it for peace of mind. On another forum they did say theres a $50 deductible.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Im in the same boat as you. I dont want a horrid expensive case that will cover the form factor. I might buy it for peace of mind. On another forum they did say theres a $50 deductible.

$150 for a replacement surface a year from now is still better than $250 assuming the price has halved a year from now.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
If you currently buy a computer from the Microsoft Store the extended warranty does cover accidental damage. So get it now, or you'll be sorry later that you didn't get it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon