11-02-2012 03:11 PM
750 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I think in my head I've worked out what went on at Microsoft, and it makes sense.
    Are you going to share this?
    10-30-2012 11:17 AM
    You could try phoning the DHL same day location nearest to you to see if they have it? http://www.dhlsameday.co.uk/document...es_leaflet.pdf
    10-30-2012 11:23 AM
    Interesting from Twitter. German posted "Theres the thing" with picture of his surface with DHL tagged. Backs up Theseusperse' theory...

https://twitter.com/DerDustin1987/st...08700884819968
    10-30-2012 11:33 AM
    Are you going to share this?
    OK so I think looking at all the available evidence and rumours it goes like this:

- Microsoft announces Surface device, plans launch and makes agreements with suppliers for delivery from China based on estimated pre-order and launch sales.

- Microsoft opens pre-ordering worldwide on 16th October

- Pre-ordering goes crazy, in Europe Microsoft gets 600,000 pre-orders, compared to the 50,000 it estimated to have.

- UPS who Microsoft had made an arrangement with to deliver the estimation of 50,000 pre-orders freaks. It's a patriotic US delivery company, with close ties to Microsoft and Apple, and normally handles high profile deliveries for them, but has nowhere near the capacity in Europe to deal with 600,000 orders at once.

- UPS agrees to do the initial 50,000 orders that it agreed and was paid by Microsoft to do, but says it can't handle the remaining 550,000 orders (91.7%). On the Surface launch day, Friday 26th October and after the weekend, Monday 29th October, that 50,000 (8.3%) of lucky European and UK customers get their surface as planned. Microsoft panics too because it realises the remaining bulk of the customers have no chance of getting their surface for launch day, so gives out 50 vouchers all round.

- Microsoft desperately needs to get the remaining 91.7% of Surfaces shipped, and fast, so it looks at couriers who have a large presence in the two main EU markets, UK and Germany, who have their own aircraft to get these things from China and distributed in 24 hours. It chooses DHL, a German company with huge presence in the UK.

- Microsoft arranges for DHL to perform the delivery and get the job done.

- Microsoft never uses UPS ever again. (wishful thinking? :P).
    10-30-2012 11:34 AM
    Yes that sounds completely plausible! This is more fun than a game of Murder Mystery! I'm thinking (and hoping) we'll all start to receive our Surfaces in the next few hours. If they flew in to Heathrow as a 'southern hub' I guess delivery times is somewhat related to how far away you are from Heathrow?...
    10-30-2012 11:40 AM
    Yes that sounds completely plausible! This is more fun than a game of Murder Mystery! I'm thinking (and hoping) we'll all start to receive our Surfaces in the next few hours. If they flew in to Heathrow as a 'southern hub' I guess delivery times is somewhat related to how far away you are from Heathrow?...
    Most couriers including DHL use Stansted as the southern hub, especially from China.
    10-30-2012 11:42 AM
    I'm ordering two unit surface at first 30 minutes the store open, and i still didn't get the surface. :(
    10-30-2012 11:43 AM
    Friend called 30 minutes ago that my surface arrived. Tommorow he is going to send it to me(Poland) and I hope to put my hands on Sufrace by the end of friday. China->UK->Poland... That's some travel
    10-30-2012 12:39 PM
    No sign of anything for me...at this rate a sim-free Lumia 920 will be in my hands before the Surface :(
    10-30-2012 12:48 PM
    Does anyone know when DHL deliver too presuming the dhl rumours are true? I know it's meant to be 24hours but presumably they won't be knocking on doors at 3am?
    10-30-2012 12:58 PM
    No sign of anything for me...at this rate a sim-free Lumia 920 will be in my hands before the Surface :(
    That's a little far fetched. I know people like Clove have suggested they might get sim free stock but I suspect it might be months with this ill fated EE exclusivity. Surely we'll have our surfaces by then! :-)
    Last edited by karnka; 10-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
    10-30-2012 01:00 PM
    Well those of us who paid cash for ours still waiting in vain for our Surfaces to arrive. Absolutely brilliant.
    10-30-2012 01:03 PM
    Well those of us who paid cash for ours still waiting in vain for our Surfaces to arrive. Absolutely brilliant.
    They also get a free Lumia 920...
    10-30-2012 01:13 PM
    nothing from DHL yet, nearly 7pm now...
    10-30-2012 01:44 PM
    can't see anymore being delivered today, i can hope, as i'm still waiting for mine, but looks like it's going to be tomorrow, hopefully
    10-30-2012 01:46 PM
    Just got off the phone from MS CS. A nice Spanish lady confirmed that there was nothing wrong with my transaction.

I said Id ordered on the morning of the 17th, and that people that had orders a week later were getting theirs, and she said I should be the high up the priority list, but they'd been so overwhelmed that they were just sending them out as and when they can.

She also said that she had now idea when it would arrive. Could be tomorrow, Thursday or even Friday.

Not happy. What's the point preording early if you get your surface later than ohers that ordered a week later.

I got a case number. Going o phone and demand another voucher if they've not at least tried to deliver it tomorrow.

By the way in in Ipswich. Lese than an hour from Stansted where the DHL plane apparently comes in.
    10-30-2012 01:47 PM
    In Norwich here, fuming to myself. Got dispatch mail at midnight. Tracking number said 30th delivery, and still nothing. Awful really. If its not tomorrow then they will hear from me. Having it delivered to the shop I work in, so its not like there is no one to sign etc...
    10-30-2012 01:55 PM
    That's a little far fetched. I know people like Clove have suggested they might get sim free stock but I suspect it might be months with this ill fated EE exclusivity. Surely we'll have our surfaces by then! :-)
    Hah I wouldn't be too sure ;-) In all seriousness I meant more that Phones4U may actually be ready to sell sim-free Lumias on 2nd/5th November and at this rate with Surface deliveries....
    10-30-2012 01:58 PM
    Dhl delivered my surface at 6:00pm today even though I have a ups tracking number :S
    10-30-2012 02:11 PM
    Dhl delivered my surface at 6:00pm today even though I have a ups tracking number :S
    Out of curiosity, is there a DHL tracking number anywhere on the box? Does it actually work?

Thanks.
    10-30-2012 02:12 PM
    It's 7:15pm and mines just arrived. I'm 5 mins from Stansted airport but don't think DHL have a service center their and forgot to ask the driver where he came from. There were about 9 deliveries on his list with another 5 to go and all he was delivering were Surfaces so there's hope yet :-)
    rhocalcam likes this.
    10-30-2012 02:16 PM
    Congrats! I'm sure you want to play with it but can you track the parcel online quickly and let us know what it says??

Nothing here in Bath yet but still holding out hope...
    10-30-2012 02:17 PM
    It's 7:15pm and mines just arrived. I'm 5 mins from Stansted airport but don't think DHL have a service center their and forgot to ask the driver where he came from. There were about 9 deliveries on his list with another 5 to go and all he was delivering were Surfaces so there's hope yet :-)
    Thank you!! Still got some hope then!!
    10-30-2012 02:17 PM
    DHL just delivered my 64gb surface at 7:15pm. i ordered on the 26th. delivery driver said theres something strange about them, his supervisor told him theyve got to be delivered today or theres gunna be a problem for them. the delivery driver is supposed to be doing a late collection from the Sports Direct office/warehouse but theyve sent him out with a few of the packages to deliver around the village.
    rhocalcam likes this.
    10-30-2012 02:20 PM
    DHL just delivered my 64gb surface at 7:15pm. i ordered on the 26th. delivery driver said theres something strange about them, his supervisor told him theyve got to be delivered today or theres gunna be a problem for them. the delivery driver is supposed to be doing a late collection from the Sports Direct office/warehouse but theyve sent him out with a few of the packages to deliver around the village.
    Wow Awesome man congrats and thanks for the info! Enjoy! Where are you??
    10-30-2012 02:24 PM
750 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD