Differences Between Surface RT and Pro

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So I'm excited for the Microsoft Surface coming out. The thing I'm confused about is what is the difference between the RT and Pro versions of the Surface? It seems a few specifications are different. Is the Windows 8 Operating System any different? Is one a watered down version or what exactly? I'm a little confused, thanks for any clarification!

(My girlfriend was talking about getting a iPad today, and I was like nope; Surface! But now we're not sure which one to order for her.)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, pro is what your used to in regards to using Windows.

RT is everything you have seen that is "Metro" as well as Office. This includes Windows Store apps

So pretty much everything you have seen in videos that shows Metro is on RT
Everything you see in desktop (minus Office) you need Pro. (note: pro can also do RT stuff)

That's the easiest way to put it i believe.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It's more simple than that. Do you / does she want to run any of the applications (with the exception of Microsoft Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word, which are included with Windows RT) that currently run on your Windows 7 or earlier PC?

If so, then you'll want the Surface Pro or any of the other Windows 8 devices that have been announced.

If you don't need any Windows 7 or earlier programs (again with the exception of Microsoft Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word), then the Surface RT or another Windows RT device are perfect for you.

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Technically there are 3 versions. RT, 8 and 8 Pro. Information on the features and differences can be found HERE.
Great link, thanks.

But, dang it, I see I'll need Win 8 Pro on the family machines for Media Center. Media Center worked just fine on Win 7 Home.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is a simple way to explain it. RT is ARM type processors. Win 8 and Win 8 Pro is for X86 and 64 bit processors with the latter being desktop and laptop models with full is functionality that you get with Win 7 and hardware. For example, I am running Win 8 Pro 64 bit on a Intel I7-2600K with 8 gb DDR3-1600 mem with SSD and hd drives and a 670GTX Nvidia video card on a Gigabyte Z68X mb with a UEFI bios.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Here is a simple way to explain it. RT is ARM type processors. Win 8 and Win 8 Pro is for X86 and 64 bit processors with the latter being desktop and laptop models with full is functionality that you get with Win 7 and hardware. For example, I am running Win 8 Pro 64 bit on a Intel I7-2600K with 8 gb DDR3-1600 mem with SSD and hd drives and a 670GTX Nvidia video card on a Gigabyte Z68X mb with a UEFI bios.

Yeah, that's real simple for regular users to understand...:rolleyes:

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
By the way, there is 5 flavors of Win 8, RT for tablets, 8/Pro, enterprise, and Server with the last 2 being subscription based. It is all on MS's website in plain English.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Its not that simple. There are apps in the Windows Store that currently will not run on RT. In another thread, I was talking about this and there's about 4% of apps that only work on x86/x64 devices (that would be Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro devices - including Surface Pro).

dmenglert

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It's more simple than that. Do you / does she want to run any of the applications (with the exception of Microsoft Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word, which are included with Windows RT) that currently run on your Windows 7 or earlier PC?

If so, then you'll want the Surface Pro or any of the other Windows 8 devices that have been announced.

If you don't need any Windows 7 or earlier programs (again with the exception of Microsoft Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, and Word), then the Surface RT or another Windows RT device are perfect for you.

this works if you are buying a surface to be replacement for Desktop or a laptop, but if your looking for tablet, this recomendation falls apart, I wouldn't want the pro model as tablet, things I want from a tablet 1) consume content, and light content creation 2) portability, it has to be light and have long battery life, I don't want to have to tether it. 3) less expensive than a pc. On all counts the RT model is a better choice, (granted the pro won't be that much heavier) but on battery life I think the tegra chip will better than the i5.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the pro is the one I want. I have a Note 10.1 for just tablet role. Thanks everyone, I have a better understanding now

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
this works if you are buying a surface to be replacement for Desktop or a laptop, but if your looking for tablet, this recomendation falls apart, I wouldn't want the pro model as tablet, things I want from a tablet 1) consume content, and light content creation 2) portability, it has to be light and have long battery life, I don't want to have to tether it. 3) less expensive than a pc. On all counts the RT model is a better choice, (granted the pro won't be that much heavier) but on battery life I think the tegra chip will better than the i5.

If you're just looking for a tablet then you don't need Windows 7 or earlier apps on your tablet, so the recommendation is really the same. :p

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 Pro has 2 main parts. Legacy and RT.

Pro is a full blown laptop replacement. It will tun any Windows program, past or present.

RT is a very specialized and protected part of Windows. It uses very little resources. It only runs Apps from the MS store or other approved store. This keeps it very secure and very protected against viruses.

For RT tablets, the Legacy part isn't there.

Why get RT then? It's cheaper, fast, and lets you not worry about viruses. It also has Microsoft Office. If all you need to do is browse the web, use apps, and use Microsoft Office, it will cover all your needs.

In time, most non-power-hungry programs will likely and up having "app" versions made. But powerful programs like Photoshop will likely be only available on Pro for the next few years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos