10-28-2012 08:25 PM
162 123 ...
tools
    PC Magazine - 4 out of 5

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411252,00.asp
    Last edited by Vallos; 10-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    10-23-2012 09:54 AM
    Good find, thanks!

EDIT:

When these are his biggest gripes, my hype sure didn't get wasted. More excited than ever to get one!

"Cons Kickstand assist only on left face. Only one angle on kickstand. Requires flat surface to use with Touch and Type covers. Speakers are very soft. Few apps on Microsoft's Store. Not compatible with existing Windows 7 and XP programs. Proprietary charger port. "
    Last edited by Coreldan; 10-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    spyderzWPC likes this.
    10-23-2012 10:13 AM
    Seemed like a good review over all but a couple of things bugged me about it. First, he reviews the 64GB c/ cover version and says that it is the entry level model. That's just wrong. He complains that kickstand lip is only on one side rather then talk about how nice it is to have a kickstand in the first place. And complains that using the keyboard cover requires a flat surface rather then how nice it is that the cover even has a keyboard. But anyway, 4/5 is still quite good.
    10-23-2012 10:17 AM
    Decent review and it's been brought up under the comments section but it really irritates me at how anti-MSFT/pro-AAPl the tech bloggers have become. Right off the bat, the writer compares a $699 64gb RT with a $499 16gb iPad which indirectly makes the Surface look expensive. For the avg joe, they'll prob see that and stop reading b/c the Surface suddenly looks ridiculously overpriced compared to the iPad.
    10-23-2012 10:17 AM
    They just pulled the link. I guess it was a bit premature.

Edit - Never mind. They just changed the link. I updated the first post.
    10-23-2012 10:25 AM
    It seems they only pulled the first page of the article, I can still access the second page to last page: PAGE TITLE - Microsoft Surface with Windows RT Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    10-23-2012 10:32 AM
    The one thing that bothered me was the app store critique. While I feel that it is a bit of a "con", it should not be held against it being that it's an entirely new platform for developers. He should have noted that developers will increase as the platform matures, just like the iPad.
    10-23-2012 10:35 AM
    They just pulled the link. I guess it was a bit premature.

Edit - Never mind. They just changed the link. I updated the first post.
    Just reading pros/cons this guy is overly hard on it. There are some great features that no competition has and he moans about them.
    10-23-2012 10:36 AM
    Just reading pros/cons this guy is overly hard on it. There are some great features that no competition has and he moans about them.
    Yea, you are probably right, but I think for us who are more aware of the device it just shows how good it is. If he even seems to be against the device, yet cant come up with any real issue to moan about and has to give it a 4/5, it definitely is a good product :D
    10-23-2012 10:41 AM
    There's bound to be some skepticism over a new player. I'm not too worried to tell the truth. Its shortfalls will improve on time and its advantages will separate the device from its competition

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
    10-23-2012 10:43 AM
    Link is gone again.
    10-23-2012 10:55 AM
    10-23-2012 11:13 AM
    Microsoft calls it a "Micro HD" port and sells a Micro HD-to-HDMI port adapter ($39.99 list), as well as a Micro HD-to-VGA adapter ($39.99 list). However, when we hooked up an off the shelf micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable to the Surface, we were able to hook up to and use a HDMI monitor without any issues.

Glad to hear this.
    spyderzWPC likes this.
    10-23-2012 11:28 AM
    Weird that it's supposed to be a review of the device, but he dings it for the size of the marketplace.

I totally understand listing that as a "con." I also think it's fine to devote a few lines of the article talking about this.

But it sounds like he's mixing a Windows RT OS review with a device review.
    10-23-2012 11:50 AM
    Soooo glad to hear i can use micro-HDMI! That was easily my biggest gripe!
    10-23-2012 11:55 AM
    Vivo RT review up. It isn't the surface rt but they point out that the tegra 3 processor is too slow for windows 8.

I hope it runs better on the Surface RT...

Asus Vivo Tab RT review | The Verge
    10-23-2012 03:36 PM
    I hope it runs better on the Surface RT...
    After reading this:

"I'm left with no choice but to blame Windows RT, which just doesn't seem optimized for speed or fluidity beyond the Start screen. A couple of these problems exist on Intel-powered devices as well apps are slow to load there, too but they're much more manageable on full-blown Windows 8. Windows RT just seems too resource-intensive for the hardware supporting it."

Could it be something else other than the OS?
    10-23-2012 03:55 PM
    After reading this:

"I'm left with no choice but to blame Windows RT, which just doesn't seem optimized for speed or fluidity beyond the Start screen. A couple of these problems exist on Intel-powered devices as well apps are slow to load there, too but they're much more manageable on full-blown Windows 8. Windows RT just seems too resource-intensive for the hardware supporting it."

Could it be something else other than the OS?
    Hopefully they got a dud because the PCMag review of the Vivo Tab mentions nothing about performance issues.

Asus Vivo Tab RT Review & Rating | PCMag.com
    10-23-2012 03:58 PM
    Can anyone find the link for the cached second page of that review?
    10-23-2012 04:03 PM
    Page 2 of the review: PAGE TITLE - Microsoft Surface with Windows RT Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Page 3 of the review: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co..._htSwWQA&pbx=1

Page 4 of the revie: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...FQEcT2ZA&pbx=1
    Last edited by danielgary; 10-23-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    cgk likes this.
    10-23-2012 04:20 PM
    Great - someone has cut and paste the whole thing about half-way down this page in an easy to read form:

Surface |OT| - Page 3 - NeoGAF

In terms of its hardware and operating system, the Microsoft Surface with Windows RT is a very good product. It's very light, and powerful enough to run a version of Windows, so it's very attractive to Windows early adopters as well as business users who have plans to migrate to Windows 8. It's powerful enough to be a daily carry device for work, always with you on your commute across the state or across the country. It shares some programs and its main interface with Windows 8, which is a boon, provided you get used to using the new Windows UI. Users who haven't yet tried Windows 8 will have to get used to the new way of doing things, but since Microsoft has mandated that all new PCs come with either Windows 8 or Windows RT, you'll have to start using the new UI on new Windows PCs and tablets eventually.
    10-23-2012 04:25 PM
    I love how he lists the proprietary mag safe power port as a con on a surface, but everyone LOVES the proprietary mag safe power port on the MBs.
    10-23-2012 05:38 PM
    the only negative thing that engadget had was apps.
    ibbyj and Vallos like this.
    10-23-2012 09:06 PM
    Engadget
    The Verge - 7 out 10
    Cnet - 3.5 out of 5
    Last edited by Vallos; 10-23-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    10-23-2012 09:13 PM
    verge = 7

gizmodo said no buy( not really surprised though. They hate anything Microsoft)>
    10-23-2012 09:20 PM
162 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD