10-24-2012 06:05 AM
29 12
tools
    It's too wide to use the virtual keyboard so you have to use the Touch/Type cover. So the argument that the keyboard was optional is a lie.

It's too wide to hold it properly in landscape mode. It's too tall to hold it properly in portrait mode.

All this makes me think that someone at Microsoft thought that 1366x768 laptop screen would make an excellent tablet and did NO ergonomic testing at all.

Believe me as soon as people try this in stores they will shake their heads and buy something else.
    10-23-2012 09:55 PM
    I saw you posted this in the other thread, and I know you want to get your opinion out (hence forum), but to be honest, I think it's just fine. Sure, it's not like other tablets, but so what? It's not like everything has to be the same. Companies always try to venture out. Whether it fails, we'll see. But so far, my pre-order is still up, and I don't plan on cancelling it. From the several video reviews I've seen from all the tech blogs, it seemed just fine to me.
    10-23-2012 10:05 PM
    Wow, so the guy who never has anything positive to say about Windows Phone products comes out and tells us that the Surface form factor causes it to be a failure. Your act is getting old.
    Jazmac and anon(5335877) like this.
    10-23-2012 10:09 PM
    It's too wide to use the virtual keyboard so you have to use the Touch/Type cover. So the argument that the keyboard was optional is a lie.

It's too wide to hold it properly in landscape mode. It's too tall to hold it properly in portrait mode.

All this makes me think that someone at Microsoft thought that 1366x768 laptop screen would make an excellent tablet and did NO ergonomic testing at all.

Believe me as soon as people try this in stores they will shake their heads and buy something else.
    We get it. You have the hands of an infant child.

Go get your iPad mini.
    10-23-2012 10:11 PM
    They picked that form factor to optimize multi-tasking. If you go with a smaller screen, when you have two apps open, it becomes too cramped, if you go larger, it is simply unusable.
    10-23-2012 10:13 PM
    Did Microsoft cut the split-keyboard from Windows RT? I'm 99% sure its in Windows 8...
    10-23-2012 10:14 PM
    You gotta come up with something better OP. What a weak bit.
    10-23-2012 10:14 PM
    Did Microsoft cut the split-keyboard from Windows RT? I'm 99% sure its in Windows 8...
    I remember hearing about a split keyboard, but I haven't tried win8 on a touch device, so I wasn't sure.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    10-23-2012 10:16 PM

It is optional. There should be a touch screen keyboard there for accessibility purposes. Nobody has a gun to your head.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    10-23-2012 10:21 PM
    This is what I'm asking too. Is the Surface too wide for the split keyboard?
    10-23-2012 10:31 PM
    This is what I'm asking too. Is the Surface too wide for the split keyboard?
    Im pretty sure that I read somewhere in a review that its still in there
    10-23-2012 10:34 PM
    It has a split keyboard. There are videos showing it.
    10-23-2012 10:49 PM

What a worthless post. How is it too wide to hold in landscape? It is DESIGNED to be used in landscape, and the Windows 8 gestures support that.
    10-23-2012 10:56 PM
    The split keyboard option is there for sure in Win8. I've been using the RTM release since it hit the MSDN site and it's there. Not positive about Win RT, but I'd be surprised if it's not there too.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-23-2012 11:00 PM
    The Surface has what i consider to be the greatest form factor and near perfect design. Honestly what they did with it impresses me. I would never have expected such an amazing design from anybody but microsoft! I mean even the Zune HD was an incredible design!
    10-23-2012 11:00 PM
    What a worthless post. How is it too wide to hold in landscape? It is DESIGNED to be used in landscape, and the Windows 8 gestures support that.
    The Verge's reviewer said it was awkward to hold in landscape as well.
    10-23-2012 11:22 PM

I know I read that somewhere.. yeah I remember in the verge review of the surface...
    There is nothing wrong in sharing your opinion but share yours.. don't blindly pass someone else's opinion as yours..
    10-23-2012 11:24 PM
    Why is this person doing here?
    10-24-2012 02:01 AM
    And that makes it the absolute truth because.......

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2.
    10-24-2012 02:15 AM
    Well, if its any indication, the techcrunch & gizmodo reviewers said the same things (as did the NY Times I believe). After watching the videos & looking at the photos of it in real world use, I tend to agree. Portrait mode looks to be incredibly awkward. Which is probably why the Windows key is in landscape mode.

I'm not saying its a bad device. The build & attention to detail looks to be top notch. But it clearly wasn't meant to be a standalone device to be used without the attached keyboard. So I now think of it more like a laptop screen with a detachable keyboard, with touch elements.

Thats all well & good, but IMO you'd be better to just go with a regular laptop. Its cheaper & you'd actually get the benefit of the full Windows OS, instead of just RT (which is sorely lacking in apps).

So I think the Surface RT is a good concept device, but thats really all. Which is probably why they aren't selling it in any mainstream way.
    10-24-2012 03:03 AM
    Oh you mean the one done by Josh Topolsky who basically loathes anything Microsoft and is a huge Fandroid? The same guy who has basically said he hates all Windows phones and the ones he likes he wishes just ran Android?

Yea...
    10-24-2012 03:11 AM
    Ah the "everyone is out to get us!" card, I thought the crackberry fans had the monopoly on that line of "argument".

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    10-24-2012 03:16 AM
    Oh you mean the one done by Josh Topolsky who basically loathes anything Microsoft and is a huge Fandroid? The same guy who has basically said he hates all Windows phones and the ones he likes he wishes just ran Android?

Yea...
    Have you not read any of the other reviews that say the same thing, or are we just sticking to the ones that are more favorable than others?? Lemme know.
    10-24-2012 03:19 AM
    Have you not read any of the other reviews that say the same thing, or are we just sticking to the ones that are more favorable than others?? Lemme know.
    I've read about 8 today. The person I was quoting was referring to a specific review. Which is why it was commented on.

Maybe you should write reviews with the crack deduction skills you have.
    10-24-2012 03:26 AM
    I've read about 8 today. The person I was quoting was referring to a specific review. Which is why it was commented on.

Maybe you should write reviews with the crack deduction skills you have.
    Uh, yes I know that. I saw the quote you were referring to. Thank you.

What I meant was, you were acting like Josh's review was the only one who said portrait mode was awkward & almost unusable. Because, you know, it was from Josh the hater. So it simply must be a lie.

And I'll work on my deduction if you work on your contextual reading skills. Is it a deal??
    10-24-2012 03:56 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD