10-26-2012 03:36 PM
26 12
tools
    I've already gotten a reservation slip for the Surface from my local Microsoft store. I will definitely buy it on the 26th. But I'm just curious, is anyone going to start lining up right when the mall opens?

I'm not sure what to expect. Will there be a long line up or will there just be a few people going early to pick up their Surface? I don't want to go early and embarrass myself lining up will only a short line up and being forced to have awkward conversations with a few fanboys.

So do you guys expect there to be a long line up for the Surface right at opening on the 26th? Will you be going early to line up?
    Last edited by kittshelby; 10-25-2012 at 01:30 AM.
    10-25-2012 12:59 AM
    If I had a Microsoft store closer than 4 hours away I would have definitely done it.
    10-25-2012 01:20 AM
    The first 100 people lined up will receive a free year subscription to XBOX Music. I called the Windows Store (Los Angeles) today to confirm. It does require a Surface purchase, however. Therefore, if you are definitely going to pick one up on Friday, how early are you willing to get in line to gain an extra $100 value? That's worth a few hours to me at least.
    theomodsim likes this.
    10-25-2012 01:55 AM
    What if you already have a Zune cough I mean Xbox music pass for few years. Of I show up to a store after work Friday around 7will I get a tabet?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    10-25-2012 06:40 AM
    I have a reservation slip, but I'm getting there when the mall opens just because I want to see if there is a line. Most people I have talked too don't even know tomorrow is the release date for it.
    10-25-2012 10:15 AM
    Already in line.
    10-25-2012 10:19 AM
    What if you already have a Zune cough I mean Xbox music pass for few years. Of I show up to a store after work Friday around 7will I get a tabet?

...What?
    10-25-2012 10:20 AM
    I was asking that if I dont care to be the first 100 people to get the free music pass then what do you all think mt chances of getting a surface Friday I'd I show up after work around 7:30pm.

Will they sell out that quick?

10-25-2012 11:37 AM
    I think each of the Microsoft Stores are getting massive shipments. I'd be surprised if they sold out the first day. Although if they did that wouldn't be bad thing either except for the whole having to wait part :-)

10-25-2012 12:03 PM
    Ill probably get there about 30 minutes before mall opens. Not sure if lines will be long

I asked the Ms store guy if he thought there would be a long line for fun and he says "well, usually when apple has a release, they have really long lines"..I responded with "well, apple is a little different from you guys" with a smirk. Didnt think he expected that response as he couldnt come back with a response, i laughed it off with my GF there and she said i was mean.

Oh well :P
    10-25-2012 12:44 PM
    Ill probably get there about 30 minutes before mall opens. Not sure if lines will be long

I asked the Ms store guy if he thought there would be a long line for fun and he says "well, usually when apple has a release, they have really long lines"..I responded with "well, apple is a little different from you guys" with a smirk. Didnt think he expected that response as he couldnt come back with a response, i laughed it off with my GF there and she said i was mean.

10-25-2012 01:01 PM
    My online order won't get here until 11/7 (at the very earliest) so I plan to buy one at the store. The Portland store officially opens only tomorrow. I plan to get there around 9 AM.
    10-25-2012 02:49 PM
    Planning on hitting the Eaton Centre in Toronto tomorrow morning. The mall opens at 10AM, though I'm wondering if they're opening up early for Surface?
    10-25-2012 03:07 PM
    I went by the kiosk in the Eaton Centre and it looks a lot more spruced up then when I last saw it. It now has lighted sides that say "Surface" on them - actually looks pretty snazzy for a temporary kiosk. And for the guy that said the kiosk in his local mall was flimsy - the one here is more like a booth with a bit of a raised floor for the employees. Looks really solid.
    10-25-2012 04:29 PM
    I've decided to head to the mall tomorrow night. Unfortunately I won't get there until 7-8 pm. Hope they don't run out :P
    10-25-2012 04:51 PM
    Our mall kiosk starts selling them at 9:00am so I figure I'll be there around 8:00 to get in line. If there isn't a line, I'll just sit in the car and listen to the radio for a bit.
    10-25-2012 05:01 PM
    Washington Square in Portland, OR opens at ten, so that is when the kiosk will open. My wife is going for me because I have to be at work at 1030 and work 60 minutes in the opposite direction. They already had people lined up outside the mall at 4 o'clock today. I'm just torn on whether I want a Red or Black touchcover.
    10-25-2012 09:41 PM
    Any word on whether free year of music is at kiosks too? Or it is just a b&m thing....? I'd consider if at kiosk. The closest ms store to me isn't too far but it's such a hassle to go to that mall (century city).
    10-25-2012 11:06 PM
    Any word on whether free year of music is at kiosks too? Or it is just a b&m thing....? I'd consider if at kiosk. The closest ms store to me isn't too far but it's such a hassle to go to that mall (century city).
    Pretty sure all Microsoft stores and Pop up stores are giving them out. Not certain though.
    10-25-2012 11:15 PM
    Pretty sure all Microsoft stores and Pop up stores are giving them out. Not certain though.
    Yea it seems to be true even for kiosks. Just wanted to report back after finding out it will indeed be true even at smaller kiosks.
    10-26-2012 12:25 AM

The Microsoft store in Times Square is still busy at 3AM (and still selling Surfaces every 30-60 seconds, if cheers that they do when one purchases a Surface are any indication), and the store opened at 10PM. The line was ludicrous, and it'll be interesting to see tomorrow if that was just an NYC / Times Square thing, or if other stores see it. 30 minutes might be good enough, but it might not be.

I'm curious as to what others see at their local brick and mortars or pop-ups tomorrow....
    10-26-2012 02:13 AM
    Washington Square in Portland, OR opens at ten, so that is when the kiosk will open. My wife is going for me because I have to be at work at 1030 and work 60 minutes in the opposite direction. They already had people lined up outside the mall at 4 o'clock today. I'm just torn on whether I want a Red or Black touchcover.
    I will be shopping at the same store and plan to get there by 9:15. I also ordered online on 10.17 but I keep getting conflicting messages from MS about shipping, hence the attempt fo buy my Surface in store.
    10-26-2012 08:08 AM
    Just got back from the Ross Park Mall (Pittsburgh) Microsoft kiosk with a 32 GB Surface + Type keyboard. There were about 6 people in line when the kiosk opened.

I got the $99 XBox music card as well as entered into a raffle for an Xbox bundle that they'll be raffling later on this morning. They took e-mail addresses and phone numbers so you don't have to be present to win.
    10-26-2012 08:19 AM
    Got mine from the Frisco, TX pop-up store this morning! (Unfortunately I had to go straight from there to work and have to wait until later to get to use it...) There was a good line at opening - probably close to 100 if not more.

As an added bonus - there were several employees from the Dallas Microsoft site there in line and I got to see an 8X. Definitely liked the look of it in person - the blue didn't look purple like some have said!
    10-26-2012 12:58 PM
    I ditched out on it. I feel bad cause I had a reservation pass too. But Staples started a sale this morning on the Vivo RT that they didn't have for pre-orders, a free dock with purchase. I had wanted the Vivo more from the start, but only wanted to spend $599 and had to have a keyboard, and the Vivo was being advertised as $599 sans keyboard.
    10-26-2012 03:30 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD