Changing the language of the Win 8 RT OS

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
So, now that the first Surfaces start landing, I have a question to the users! Can you see if there is any apparent way to change the language of the operating system? I'm considering of getting one from germany, but I'd need to be sure I can change the language to english.. Also can keyboard layout be changed?

The customer support at MS US told me that at least US version cant change language to any other than english, but perhaps the german version that probably is in german can be changed to english instead? Germany is a very multicultural place after all nowadays.

I believe full versions of previous Windows (and 8 too) offer it at the first bootup, but it's often a thing that you cant change afterwards IMO?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link, but not quite assuring enough yet :D I'll wait anxiously for your answer! :D

Dont quite wanna wait till early'ish 2013.. Finland is always last in line :p

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well thats a bit reassuring, but I'll just wait for the confirmation in action :D When is expected delivery for you? :D

Also, if you can test that the language change actually does work, can you also check that fe. the Office changed languages properly?

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I dont care if I can have it in Finnish, I'm pretty much fluent in English :p

Sure, would be a bonus, but I'm gonna be 100% satisfied to have the german Surface in English :D

Anyways, cheers for the heads up that they werent shipped yet. I also emailed MS Finland, as they said after 26th they might have more info on local availability, so not gonna order just yet anyways.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Any input from the lucky bastards in UK? Probably not, seeing that the OS is already in english and apparently the US version cant change away from english either, but oh well, bumping at the same time :D

MS Finland replied to my email yesterday saying they still dont have a clue about Surface availability in Finland.

Justinus Maximus

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope you know the German surface comes with another keyboard? They don't use QWERTY but QWERTZ

I ordered mine from the UK today. When I receive one, I'll keep you posted for the language change.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
And UK keyboard doesnt have ? or ?.. And at least MSUK store says that they dont ship outside UK.

Well, God damnit.. So now I cant get one from Germany either.

I have zero use for a productivity tool that cant handle my own language. ? and ? are far too common to be ignored. I believe you can change the keyboard layout software side, but then you'll be hitting keys that actually put out different letters :p

Well, I guess no Surface for me until they land to Finland, which is probably sometime next year...

As said, I would suffice with english software just fine, it's the needed keys (mainly ? and ?) I'm after. Then again, I'm also sufficient enough on typing without looking at the keys, so its not like the key actually has to say ? for me to find it :D

But I guess if I'm still gonna be hitting keys that put out different letters, I might as well take the german keyboard and have Y and Z switched. ? and ? are in the same places in finnish keyboards and both are more common in finnish than Z or Y. But at least the UK one would sure be in english.. then again MS UK still claims they dont ship outside UK.

qhorse82

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm having the same question. I live in Switzerland and am craving for the RT. I believe I will order it from Germany as the keyboard is almost similar (we use a different sort of qwertz) but want to be absolutely sure I can change the system language...
Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!

ilfranzoso

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm having the same question. I live in Switzerland and am craving for the RT. I believe I will order it from Germany as the keyboard is almost similar (we use a different sort of qwertz) but want to be absolutely sure I can change the system language...
Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!
Yesterday i have a live chat, Microsoft assure me that Surface is multilanguage.

ATomiH

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm still stubborn and wait for hands on experience from german people that this is possible. I had a US rep tell me that Surface RT is locked to english and can't be changed.

Ordered mine from Germany. When booted for the first time, it asks for which language to use, germany, english or france. Havent yet tried to change to finnish. Finnish keyboard layout is also available.

So, time to order then :)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Seriously asking if a Windows OS supports multiple languages? Seriously?

The MS US rep told me that the US Surface only has english and it can't be changed.

That said, this has appeared recenetly'ish on the German MS store: Die folgenden Sprachen since auf diesem Surface verfuegbar: Englisch, Franzoesisch, Deutsch.

Basically says that it supports English, French and German, so I'm now 600? poorer :D But having those three languages, while "multiple language" isnt exactly the selection of languages your usual Windows OS comes with.

I rather not take chances with 600? as a university student dealing with a foreign store (which means that even returning the product will likely cost me in postages).

qhorse82

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ordered mine from Germany. When booted for the first time, it asks for which language to use, germany, english or france. Havent yet tried to change to finnish. Finnish keyboard layout is also available.

So, time to order then :)

Very good news indeed :)

Can't wait for mine to be delivered !!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Now just a 3 week wait, barring any other delays :p

Then also to hope mine is defect free, I dont mind defects per se cos you can easily switch the product to a new one, however having to mail it back to Germany is a bit too much work and might cost me in postages too, not to mention dealing with them when they apparently refuse to speak english at Customer Service might get hard :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte