Questions for early adopters

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
- how much free space was there after initial setup?
- how stable are the apps?
- is there any lag after opening a number of apps?
- does the multitasking view lag?
- does the snap feature lag?
- how does the device feel in landscape mode for 15-20 minutes at a time?

jwcdis

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I figure I might as well ask my stupid questions here.
1. There's a standard USB port on it right? is it mouse compatible?
2. How does making a word document feel? Can you specify file formats .doc .docx etc?
3. Is there a quick plug and play file retrieval method? Or is everything run by zune.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. They should have finished Windows RT first before letting consumers have at it. On the iPad it doesn't matter how many apps you have "open", it takes care of properly tombstoning them while not making the start screen lag.

Really? You think MSFT screwed it up? Holy ****! Call the presses! Our resident Apple troll doesn't like Microsoft!

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, actually Windows 8 and Windows RT do tombstone most apps (the ones not designed to run in the background), and will close apps if the device does get under load. Sounds like the algorithm for determining when to close tombstoned apps might need tweaking if this becomes a real issue, but for what most people would do on a daily basis, this won't be a problem.

Oldmajor

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
how much free space was there after initial setup?
roughly 16GB

- how stable are the apps?
I havent had any problems, witch exception to IE, but the wifi here is spotty

- is there any lag after opening a number of apps?
I havent noticed any, had metrotwit, weather, ie, netflix and some other up

- does the multitasking view lag?
havent notices wit metrotwit an ie

- does the snap feature lag?
havent noticed

- how does the device feel in landscape mode for 15-20 minutes at a time?
not to bad but the device screams table top mode, i find myself using it like that, i originallhy thought i would be going tablet style a lot, but it really works well with keyboard and stand

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Really? You think MSFT screwed it up? Holy ****! Call the presses! Our resident Apple troll doesn't like Microsoft!

Seems like he started a thread just so he could populate it with all the "issues" he could find. The Surface must be terrifying to him but no matter how hard the haters try, just walk into a Best Buy or check online, its Windows 8 everywhere! Cant stop the Windows 8 train!!! :lol:

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
I figure I might as well ask my stupid questions here.
1. There's a standard USB port on it right? is it mouse compatible?
2. How does making a word document feel? Can you specify file formats .doc .docx etc?
3. Is there a quick plug and play file retrieval method? Or is everything run by zune.

1. Yes and yes, plugged in my mouse and it just worked. Simple MS Optical Mouse that's probably about 6 years old.

2. Feels just like normal Word, there are no differences from Word 2013 running on Win8 desktop. All the same file formats that are there in the Win8 version are there...doc, docx, pdf, etc.

3. Plug in a USB drive and you can have it default to open right to a traditional explorer window to browse, open, drag and drop, etc.

Loving this device so far.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Surface Performance "Issues" [Video Link Included] | The Verge Forums

So apparently under a big load the UI bogs down. I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one. They should have finished Windows RT first before letting consumers have at it. On the iPad it doesn't matter how many apps you have "open", it takes care of properly tombstoning them while not making the start screen lag.

You're aware that the reviewers didn't have the official windows rt running, it was a preview. Today was the first day to pick it up. Also, you love them man bits.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)