10-28-2012 10:40 PM
49 12
tools
    Worked fine for me...played a video of the family carving pumpkins (recorded by the Surface) and it pushed to the Xbox fine.

Only bummer for me is that my Xbox Gold account is different than my primary Live account, so I had to log in to my Silver account on the Xbox to do it.
    10-27-2012 11:24 AM
    Worked fine for me...played a video of the family carving pumpkins (recorded by the Surface) and it pushed to the Xbox fine.

Only bummer for me is that my Xbox Gold account is different than my primary Live account, so I had to log in to my Silver account on the Xbox to do it.
    You can change the account associated with your gamertag from the account settings on the 360.

I changed mine to my newer outlook.com account.
    10-27-2012 11:25 AM
    You can change the account associated with your gamertag from the account settings on the 360.

I changed mine to my newer outlook.com account.
    i

I called support. Certain tv shows will work no movies. Its weird they are stumped. My other wacky problem is I can start playing music on the surface transfer it to the Xbox but then the play here button on the surface won't work to bring the music back.
    10-27-2012 11:50 AM
    i

I called support. Certain tv shows will work no movies. Its weird they are stumped. My other wacky problem is I can start playing music on the surface transfer it to the Xbox but then the play here button on the surface won't work to bring the music back.
    Any update from support at all? I've gone as far as to making a new Microsoft account and Xbox live account just to see of that was the problem and nothing was fixed. So frustrating.....
    10-27-2012 05:19 PM
    Any update from support at all? I've gone as far as to making a new Microsoft account and Xbox live account just to see of that was the problem and nothing was fixed. So frustrating.....
    They have no clue. I rented an episode of the league and it works perfectly. I rented Madagascar, Avengers, and That's my boy. The surface cannot transfer the movies at all. I am stumped and so is support.
    10-27-2012 05:26 PM
    I'm a little confused. Can you play rented movies from surface to Xbox through smart glass?

I rented man on a ledge on the surface and the play on Xbox was grayed out even though I was connected to the right account etc

I did choose the stream only option if that made a difference

Music works fine so does local videos
    Last edited by MarcMaiden; 10-27-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    10-27-2012 11:10 PM
    I'm running 8 pro on my MacBook Air with no problems streaming from Xbox video on that machine.
    10-27-2012 11:11 PM
    I'm a little confused. Can you play rented movies from surface to Xbox through smart glass?

I rented man on a ledge on the surface and the play on Xbox was grayed out even though I was connected to the right account etc

I did choose the stream only option if that made a difference
    It doesn't make a difference. I rented the second episode of American Horror Story and it streams perfectly. I rented Battleship, Avengers, and Hunger Games. They only play on the surface not on Xbox. If I want to play those movies on Xbox I have to pay an additional 5 dollars to rent them separately. The movies that are rented on the Xbox cannot be shared with the surface. I have no idea why TV shows are working and movies are not.
    10-27-2012 11:19 PM
    Update: I was able to stream to the Xbox after a couple things.

First and foremost, the BUILT IN video app needs to be updated. I remember clearly that the original application (RTM) did not allow streaming to the Xbox. To update, go to the store and tap on the top right "Update" link.

Second, make sure it is a compatible file with Xbox Video. I had a non-DRM mp4 playing just fine.

So, when it's playing in Xbox Video, simply swipe up from the bottom, and select "Play To" and then "Xbox 360".

Proof and tutorial:

Click to view quoted image

thanks for the info and the time to show us how. Really the way to post something to help us all instead of the normal " I was able " posts.
    10-27-2012 11:41 PM
    No issues playing my own video. Any final answer on renting from surface and playing theough xbox?
    10-28-2012 12:11 AM
    its too bad, ms is still has a long way to go before having the same level of polished software as Apple. people shouldn't be this confused to use such an important feature. and playto really should be universal. right now I believe the technology streams the content over to be played on the xbox. it would much better if whatever is on the screen can be streamed directly...like apple's airplay.
    10-28-2012 12:36 AM
    It doesn't make a difference. I rented the second episode of American Horror Story and it streams perfectly. I rented Battleship, Avengers, and Hunger Games. They only play on the surface not on Xbox. If I want to play those movies on Xbox I have to pay an additional 5 dollars to rent them separately. The movies that are rented on the Xbox cannot be shared with the surface. I have no idea why TV shows are working and movies are not.
    Really interesting I went ahead and downloaded the same tv show to see if it would work with my setup and sure enough American Horror story worked for me. That's only piece of media I've been able to get to work including music. Maybe someone could share a video off the internet or something that they've gotten to work to see if it would work for us. Microsoft has been of no help whatsoever.
    10-28-2012 03:41 AM
    Umm not everything can be streamed over airplay.
    And for the person having the Xbox smart glass issue take it back don't pull your hair out.

I've found that if I'm the only one having a particular issue most of the time it's unique to me and something I'm doing wrong (not trying to be a smart ***). heck windows 8 was crashing my pc 3x times a day and screwing up my hard drive or that's what I thought. The truth was I upgraded over my Windows 7 and I should have done a clean install.

I had a smart glass streaming issue until I realized it wasn't me but the codec I was using in the video, so I re-encoded using xvid and it worked fine.
    10-28-2012 06:36 AM
    Umm not everything can be streamed over airplay.
    And for the person having the Xbox smart glass issue take it back don't pull your hair out.

I've found that if I'm the only one having a particular issue most of the time it's unique to me and something I'm doing wrong (not trying to be a smart ***). heck windows 8 was crashing my pc 3x times a day and screwing up my hard drive or that's what I thought. The truth was I upgraded over my Windows 7 and I should have done a clean install.

I had a smart glass streaming issue until I realized it wasn't me but the codec I was using in the video, so I re-encoded using xvid and it worked fine.
    Did you read through the thread before posting your response? This isn't a problem just with home videos, we're having problems streaming Xbox movies as well such as Avengers. And there's no way there's a problem with all of my mp3 files that also won't stream. Read before posting about others.
    10-28-2012 12:56 PM
    This how I fixed my issue first go to settings then change pc settings then devices . Once there deleted all xbox 360 devices then clicked add new device ( make sure xbox 360 is on ) saw xbox then added everything is worked great since then.

Hope this helps others.
    10-28-2012 06:26 PM
    This how I fixed my issue first go to settings then change pc settings then devices . Once there deleted all xbox 360 devices then clicked add new device ( make sure xbox 360 is on ) saw xbox then added everything is worked great since then.

Hope this helps others.
    Are you streaming **Rented** movies from Xbox Video on Surface to Xbox or are you talking about things you already had downloaded on your xbox?

For me and others: Tv shows, music, and locally stored videos/music/pictures play on Xbox fine - It's getting rented **Movies** to stream to xbox that is the issue
    10-28-2012 07:01 PM
    Are you streaming **Rented** movies from Xbox Video on Surface to Xbox or are you talking about things you already had downloaded on your xbox?

For me and others: Tv shows, music, and locally stored videos/music/pictures play on Xbox fine - It's getting rented **Movies** to stream to xbox that is the issue
    This is streaming movies from surface to Xbox. Like a mp4. Wasn't having any troubles with smartglass and Xbox videos just pushing a video to Xbox from surface. Was getting no available device can play video until I did my fix.
    10-28-2012 07:14 PM
    Rented movies purchased on surface only plays on surface. Check Xbox price is different. I did confirm if purchase on Xbox will play on both hope this helps.
    Last edited by dvdjoe; 10-28-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: more info
    10-28-2012 07:21 PM

Hope this helps others.
    Dvdjoe,

your tip got it working! thank you so much! after 2 days of trying to get it work your answer was it. much appreciated!
    dvdjoe likes this.
    10-28-2012 07:47 PM
    I'll post this, a video I did on YouTube based on a request on an other video.

Yes, Play To Xbox 360 works great.
    10-28-2012 08:33 PM
    Everything works fine for me. Certain rented movies will not let you stream to the Xbox due to the price difference and Surface only pricing. For example Battleship is $.99 on the Surface, but 480 MSFT points (which is about $5 I think). For those items it gives you the option purchase for Xbox.
    10-28-2012 09:36 PM
    Rented movies purchased on surface only plays on surface. Check Xbox price is different. I did confirm if purchase on Xbox will play on both hope this helps.
    This doesn't work either. I rented that's my boy on the Xbox and could not see it or play it on the surface.
    10-28-2012 09:41 PM
    Interesting - I'm having no issues, although I have the same Microsoft ID being used for my surface, phone, and xbox. Purchases on xbox are playable on the surface and on my desktop, and vice versa. Weird.
    10-28-2012 10:12 PM
    Interesting - I'm having no issues, although I have the same Microsoft ID being used for my surface, phone, and xbox. Purchases on xbox are playable on the surface and on my desktop, and vice versa. Weird.
    It is awkward. I also have my phone, xbox, and surface on one account. I called support they had no idea.

I will add, everything else about this device is amazing.
    10-28-2012 10:40 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD